News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What you'd do if you owned GW?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
Re: What you'd do if you owned GW?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 01:58:40 AM »
As someone that has recently been getting into the mini side of things as a creative endeavour with my 7yo son and have suffered the sticker shock? It seems to me, an outsider and noob with minis, that GW is suffering from being a little bit behind the times.

Have 3d scanner or access to decent STLs and a 4k resin printer?

Is it possible for them to shift their business model from content production rather than mini production? High quality mini files with supports etc. that people can buy?

Obviously not as profitable as the minis that they sell, but it seems that beyond the legality situation (which is fair enough!), they are fighting a losing battle. And, as such and if nothing else, I would try and address that.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »
As someone that has recently been getting into the mini side of things as a creative endeavour with my 7yo son and have suffered the sticker shock? It seems to me, an outsider and noob with minis, that GW is suffering from being a little bit behind the times.

Have 3d scanner or access to decent STLs and a 4k resin printer?

Is it possible for them to shift their business model from content production rather than mini production? High quality mini files with supports etc. that people can buy?

Obviously not as profitable as the minis that they sell, but it seems that beyond the legality situation (which is fair enough!), they are fighting a losing battle. And, as such and if nothing else, I would try and address that.

The main thing is, the 3D printing market is really small in context, the majority of folks don't own 3D printers, or just want to be able to walk into a store, buy something and use it immediately, instead of waiting hours for it to slowly print.

Also, not selling physical models would kill the business, as they would loose LOTS of income. We'd loose physical stores, which are one of the things which attract people to the game. I think switching from plastic kits, to 3D printing would be an awful choice for the health of the game and community.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 07:01:47 PM »

Right now 3d printing is very time consuming. They can be very temperamental especially if you live in a country with wide temperature ranges. Exposure time, resin quality, FEP quality, FEP stickiness, to controlling temps during curing, support cleanup, etc. What I have found is not all "presupported" models work the same world over due to the above differences too. So GW has nothing to fear right now, but it will always come down to Price vs effort, if the models were a reasonable price I wouldn't bother spending what little time I have on 3d printing, I'd rather be playing. That said 3d printing is getting easier... slowly.

That said GW does see the writing on the wall, hence their move into streaming media, apps and toy lines. They are focusing on bringing in the gold while they can with their mini's. That focus on cash has caused them problems with the quality of their products and customer experience with the hobby, I see a lot of parallels to other companies like Atari, hopefully they can reset their focus back to the product rather than their pockets, as very few companies survive once the inevitable dive starts.