News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: On another Star Wars binge  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
On another Star Wars binge
« on: April 19, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
For the past few weeks I’ve found myself on another epic Star Wars binge whilst I get back to painting and making.  The biggest one yet!  And I’m not even quarantined.

It started with The Mandalorian, but I’ve went back to watch the first two movies and then The Clone Wars, and I plan to watch Revenge, Solo and Rebels afterwards too.  Then Rogue One, A New Hope...well, you get the picture.  Might even try to get my hands on Fallen Order...somehow.

Hope you’re all taking the time to catch up on the things you’ve always meant to do until this is all over.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: On another Star Wars binge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
Hope you’re all taking the time to catch up on the things you’ve always meant to do until this is all over.

I have been catching up on things, but strangely I have been watching less telly.

Today for instance I have started to clean and sand my paved driveway, yesterday I cut a conifer hedge. I've painted fences and sheds, cleaned carpets and stained a conservatory.

My three week 'holiday' is now over and I am back in work at 06:00 on Monday.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »
It started with The Mandalorian, but I’ve went back to watch the first two movies and then The Clone Wars, and I plan to watch Revenge, Solo and Rebels afterwards too.  Then Rogue One, A New Hope...well, you get the picture.  Might even try to get my hands on Fallen Order...somehow.

I'm watching them with my Son, who is seeing them for the first time, so hit the original series first. Will have to hold off on Episode 3, but lots of clone wars and rebels to watch :)

Fallen order was a decent game, not as long as I hoped, its a game that could easily be finished over a weekend, but it is fun.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 06:07:59 PM »
I'm getting caught up on some video games, Mount and Blade Bannerlord and more Total War Warhammer.

I want to start final fantasy 7, and I played it for a couple of hours already... going to wait until it drops on PC though.

Would also like to catch up on the Witcher Netflix series and wouldn't mind rewatching Band of Brothers.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »
I'm getting caught up on some video games, Mount and Blade Bannerlord and more Total War Warhammer.

I want to start final fantasy 7, and I played it for a couple of hours already... going to wait until it drops on PC though.

Would also like to catch up on the Witcher Netflix series and wouldn't mind rewatching Band of Brothers.

I've finally gotten around to watching the Witcher series. I was already a big fan of the games, so I was a bit hesitent to get into this adaptation as I was a bit worried. Overall I enjoy it, though there've been some minor niggles here and there. But the drama and characterization is good. I'm also honestly mostly in it for Geralt taking down weird and wonderful beasties with creative ways, which, while definitely not the true focus of the series, is thankfully a running theme.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 10:30:15 PM »

I've finally gotten around to watching the Witcher series. I was already a big fan of the games, so I was a bit hesitent to get into this adaptation as I was a bit worried. Overall I enjoy it, though there've been some minor niggles here and there. But the drama and characterization is good. I'm also honestly mostly in it for Geralt taking down weird and wonderful beasties with creative ways, which, while definitely not the true focus of the series, is thankfully a running theme

Yeah I was the same with approaching the series. But I really warmed up to it after the first few episodes :).

I actually loved a lot of the sword work in the first episode, even if not the most realistic thing lol.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
I actually loved a lot of the sword work in the first episode, even if not the most realistic thing lol.

nah realism would kind of get boring, but if you want some over the top stuff, check out "into the badlands" to series. Later in the series you get reward with Nick Frost doing kung fu.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 11:27:35 PM »
I've been on a Star Wars binge as well.  Being able to come home from work for lunch meant that an episode of The Clone Wars / Rebels / Resistance would fit perfectly before I had to go back.  Then my 3 year old daughter started getting excited about watching Star Wars, so any time we were spending time in the living room, she would curl up with me and watch it as well (total Dad win, btw).

I have to say, though, that I was not impressed with Resistance.  They knocked it out of the park with TCW and Rebels, but Resistance was just missing something to make it compelling.  Although having Liam McIntyre (Spartacus) voicing Captain Pyre was a nice touch.

I tried having my daughter watch the movies, but I think they're a bit advanced for her still.  She likes that it's Star Wars, but doesn't fully comprehend what's going on yet.  A couple of more years, and then I will be one of those typical dads that will record her reaction to: "No, I am your father!"

I really enjoyed watching the Witcher.  I've never read the books or played the games, but it was well done.  It took a bit to pick up how they were handling the timelines, but once I figured that out it all started making sense.  First Dunkirk... then the Witcher... ugh lol.

What I enjoyed about the Witcher:
1)  The amount of times Henry Cavill had to say "beslubber..."
2)  Yennifer, because... damn!
3)  The fight choreography was amazing
4)  Henry Cavill is an Adeptus Custodes player lol.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »
We literally had a hobby/geek culture store over in Oslo post ads online for Warhammer using Henry Cavill's name the same day he posted it. XD

He seems like a cool dude. He's into Warhammer Total War too. And plays WoW. (One of us! One of us!)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:18 AM »
I have to say, though, that I was not impressed with Resistance.  They knocked it out of the park with TCW and Rebels, but Resistance was just missing something to make it compelling.  Although having Liam McIntyre (Spartacus) voicing Captain Pyre was a nice touch.

Resistance is definitely aimed at a different audience, having the "hero" basically be a human JarJar isn't really appealing, but they do calm him down later on. I just let it play while I was painting something.

Clones wars was good, but man Rebels just ticked more boxes for me. If the same team gets back together, I'm right on board that hype train :)

Edit:  Just fixing up quote tags, nothing to see here. --- GML
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:00:23 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »
It's always a bit of a gamble looking up new series when Star Wars wants to appeal to 9-year olds and 39-year olds with different ones. You can get tone-wiplash at times.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 11:17:35 PM »
It's always a bit of a gamble looking up new series when Star Wars wants to appeal to 9-year olds and 39-year olds with different ones. You can get tone-wiplash at times.
The thing is that they made The Clone Wars and Rebels as shows geared for kids, and the older fans jumped all over it because they were fantastic.  They could have done the same thing with Resistance, but man did they ever drop that ball hard!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
FYI, TCW & SWR are amazing.  I regret not seeing them sooner.  I’m finding myself becoming a fan of Star Wars all over again.

I’m also glad to see everyone’s still here, keeping their chins up as best as they can.  I’m getting back into my painting projects big time just as soon as I clean my place up.  Expect a primaris captain very soon.  ;D

I’ve also developed a strange fascination for reading about the history of car manufacturers in britain.  Probably because it combines history, with cars.  Started when I picked up an old book just before the lock down started, and now I’m hooked.  :P

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »
For the record... the Siege of Mandalore in season 7 of TCW is absolutely fantastic.  The lightsaber fight in Episode 10 is one of the best, if not the best I have ever seen!

I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #14 on: May 2, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »
I’ve also developed a strange fascination for reading about the history of car manufacturers in britain.

Usually shelved in the horror section.  :P
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: May 3, 2020, 06:39:08 AM »
For the record... the Siege of Mandalore in season 7 of TCW is absolutely fantastic.  The lightsaber fight in Episode 10 is one of the best, if not the best I have ever seen!

Isn’t it?  Absolutely amazing.  I’m in awe of how good this arc is panning out.  It’s actually rehabilitated the whole prequel era in my eyes.  Why couldn’t the movies have even been a quarter as good as this was!  ;D

I’ve also developed a strange fascination for reading about the history of car manufacturers in britain.

Usually shelved in the horror section.  :P

The Thing From Outer Space has nothing on the Austin Allegro.  :P

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 3, 2020, 10:26:41 AM »

Isn’t it?  Absolutely amazing.  I’m in awe of how good this arc is panning out.  It’s actually rehabilitated the whole prequel era in my eyes.  Why couldn’t the movies have even been a quarter as good as this was!  ;D
Because George Lucas has great story ideas but terrible execution!  Empire and Jedi were better told stories than ANH because someone else was directing them.  The Prequels were universally bad because that was all Lucas.  The final trilogy, however, was the opposite.  The stories suffered because Lucas had no hand in it, but what story was there was told beautifully.

What I loved about the Clone Wars was that it really brought to light that Anakin's failings as a Jedi were his attachment issues.  After the loss of his mother, he feared losing anyone else, and would go to great lengths to avoid those losses.  As Yoda said - "Fear is the path to the Dark Side.  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Anakin walked that path to perfection lol.

Even better is that they made it clear many times that Obi-wan knew what was going on between Anakin and Padme, but he was a true bro and kept his mouth shut lol.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: May 3, 2020, 05:28:03 PM »

Yeah that was my biggest disappointment in Rebels, the fight between Kenobi and Maul could have been a bit more like that :)

Because George Lucas has great story ideas but terrible execution!  Empire and Jedi were better told stories than ANH because someone else was directing them.  The Prequels were universally bad because that was all Lucas.  The final trilogy, however, was the opposite.  The stories suffered because Lucas had no hand in it, but what story was there was told beautifully.

Episode 3 wasn't terrible, still bad acting but it was certainly a cut above the first 2.

Ep8 is what killed the trilogy, I think enough has been said about that travesty.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 3, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »

Yeah that was my biggest disappointment in Rebels, the fight between Kenobi and Maul could have been a bit more like that :)
  I agree, but then again I do like how their fight was the shining example of "Never pick a fight with an old man.  He'll just kill you."

Episode 3 wasn't terrible, still bad acting but it was certainly a cut above the first 2.

Ep8 is what killed the trilogy, I think enough has been said about that travesty.
Ahhhh the middle movie that is nothing but middle lol

Yeah, enough has been said about it.  Honestly, I'm more entertained by watching Attack of the Clones than I am watching Last Jedi.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: May 3, 2020, 10:28:46 PM »
I've actually grown more harsh about Attack of the Clones as time has passed. I used to be kinda enamored about the clone troopers fighting and the big jedi battle at the end...

... but the Padme Anakin sideplot is HORRENDOUSLY painful to watch/listen to, it is genuinely harass-y.