News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Struggling to pick an Faction  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Nurgling

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Struggling to pick an Faction
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:09:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I think I’ve reached a point where I need some wargaming help.  Despite it being many many years, this forum was the first I thought of.

With my dyslexia I struggle with information overload during 40k.  So for a long time I’ve played pure knights.  Very few rules for the army and almost identical stats, means I can focus on the game and stratagems.  Also knights are quiet forgiving, messing up an losing a knight hurts, but isn’t game ending.

My local scene has changed a lot, and as such I’m faced with games were LoW are banned or limited. I tried to adjust by building lists with limited units (pure terminator army for example).  The problem with the approach is I don’t actually know my army to keep up with the changes to the meta, and seem to be in a downward loss spiral.

I therefore wondered what people might recommend as a easy playing army that has some competitive edge (I don’t need to win tournaments, but would rather not lose every game).

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Struggling to pick an Faction
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 06:38:28 AM »
I'd recommend custodian guard. Small model count,  hard as nails, and hit really hard. They are not overloaded with special rules, and a lot of them share wargear. Get a few custodian jetbikes, some infantry and you'll be good to go.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:40 AM »
Iron Hands Astartes could be another option. You want have too many models if you're going vehicle heavy and investing in those Repulsor Executioners ;).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:18:57 PM »
Have you considered making cards for your units?

I've been playing a lot of necromunda lately and I've printed out cards with stats/wargear of each ganger to keep up with all the special rules and individual stat increases. When I'm playing the game I keep the cards next to the models (in order to keep track of activation and such) and it helps quitena bit. You can adapt it to work with 40k units easily enough.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
Cards/notes are a really good idea.

If you use battle scribe, then you can export your list and use Buttscribe to create cards the look like the codex entries.

You can always make your own cards that just have the information you need on them, rather than listing every option.

Link removed in accordance with forum rule 1 - Iris.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:05:17 PM by Irisado »

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 05:33:25 AM »
I would probably go with some 'shorthand' rules rather than copy pasting the special rules.

So you'd have something like:

---
"Basic Space Elf Warrior"
| M | BS | WS | T | etc. |
| 5 | 3+ | 4+ | 3 |  7   |

Special rule: can shoot as normal after running.

---

If your opponent wants to know why your elf can shoot after running; you show him the rule in the book. But for most of the game a little reminder that he can do so is probably enough.

Offline Nurgling

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I’ve been looking at the custodes and they might be a good fit.

I do use unit cards, but never thought to simplify the special rules to “shoot after run”.  Will give it a try.