News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70402 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Necrons (Reducing the Pile of Shame)
« Reply #500 on: January 23, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
AAah! That red crystal looks dope!

Thank you! I was pretty pleased with how that turned out; especially after losing part of the crystal for 10 days and trawling through eBay and bits sites to find a replacement without luck.

I just wanted the crystal to stand out; it's the signature part of the weapon, so why not go bold?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Necrons (Reducing the Pile of Shame)
« Reply #501 on: January 23, 2022, 05:19:08 PM »
Love all the vehicle work - that is some stellar painting! My favorite part is the pattern you created with different gradients of the same color, and the crystal as well!

Nice  :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Aeldari
« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Thanks for your kind words Myen'Tal. I really do like that crystal!

So, I was planning on building and painting all of the marines from the Indomitus boxed set. And I built 18 of the 21. And I base coated them.

And then the sight of 21 marines made me exhausted to even think about them. So I didn't touch them after that.

I decided to start touching these though. My God did I enjoy touching these!

I built them in an evening and a morning; I took my time because I really wanted to make sure I got rid of all the mould lines.
[/url]
The Autarch kit is really easy to work with. I left off the cape and the Warp Jump Generator for ease of painting. So far, I've done a base of Kantor Blue, and zeniths shade from below of Night Lord Blue, and a further zenith highlight from above using a Kantor Blue/Alaitoc Blue mix.

Meanwhile, remember the Ranger I did from the Blackstone Fortress game?

Yeah, I decided that it was way too gold and I didn't like the effect I achieved with the came pattern. Everything is going to be a lot more Grey/Blue this time around, starting with the Camo:

Whilst on the Shroudrunners, the crew will be getting the same treatment as the Rangers; Grey cloaks with blue camouflage patterns, however, their bikes will be a base blue, with Grey camouflage.

The work area is carnage at the moment and I won't get much opportunity to paint this week as I'm visiting family with the little man, but I'm hoping to pack some bits and hopefully I'll get some minis finished by the end of next weekend.

All of these new kits have brilliant options; whilst there are only 2 poses per model, I think I could easily paint 20-30 without there being obvious repetition, just by varying head options at the least. The kits fit together really, really well (almost as easy as the push-fit starter set models) and were a pleasure to work with. The only minor annoyance is how spread out over the sprue 1 model can be; it took ages just finding components on the first couple of builds!

I can highly recommend the kits and I'm looking forward to getting these sneaky folk finished.

Thanks for popping in!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #503 on: February 14, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
Wow! Firstly. Im really liking that camo look youre using. Im still on the fence about the bikes so let us know how they play. Looking forward to seeing more.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #504 on: February 14, 2022, 05:39:34 PM »
Wow! Firstly. Im really liking that camo look youre using. Im still on the fence about the bikes so let us know how they play. Looking forward to seeing more.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....you can...play (?!!) with these minis??!!! Naaaahhhhh...

Yeah, I'm not sure on the aesthetic, but they're new so I'll try to make them look good! As for gameplay, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong Ent here. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some gameplay info!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #505 on: February 14, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
That's some excellent camo-pattern, Bat-Man, spectacular work getting it up to where it is now, Loosh! I'm super impressed. I'm going to be aiming on doing the camo pattern for rangers too, but will be following the method used in the 'eavy metal masterclass series  :) .

We're going to have to sub-assemble these new models a lot, huh?

lol

Also love the ranger camo to be specific, but the shroudrunner camo pattern variant is really nifty!

@Dread - I've got you, definitely running some of them in a coming crusade campaign!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #506 on: February 14, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
loving the camo pattern.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Aeldari Rangers
« Reply #507 on: March 8, 2022, 04:34:41 PM »
Sorry for the long delay! I had a week visiting my brother and his family with my son. Loads of fun, but very little painting. My nephew has recently really got into 40k, so we managed to do a little bit of painting and we also broke out his minis (bolstered by some of mine) and played a small battle; 20 power, with his Dark Angels against my Ad Mech. It was all about us learning some rules and having a bit of fun (so we missed out things like the command phase and objectives, so it was as streamlined as possible). I also got my son to roll some dice so he was involved...you have to start them somewhere, right?

A couple of weeks later, I was coaching for a week at an American football minicamp...the great thing being that it was work, so I didn't have to take leave and was paid throughout...some days the military is quite cool! On the final day, we finished early and I went home via Warhammer World.

Where I saw the biggest plushie Nurgling I could imagine!

It was really cool seeing the actual Eavy Metal minis that I was painting at the time:

I was sorely tempted, but sense took over, fortunately:

I then went up to Bugman's Bar for some lunch...where I bumped into an old mate that was in the RAF and whom I played American football with about 12 years ago. We had a good chat, but I had to step away for a bit so that I could have lunch while he played a game against his lunchtime opponent...Phil Kelly. He knows a few of the White Dwarf/Game Design bunch...which is very good to know! He's also applying for a job there, so fingers crossed that goes well for him! We've got loose plans to play some Blood Bowl next time I'm in the area (They had a Super Bowl watch party/Blood Bowl night this year, so I'm definitely working on getting an invite to that in the future!

Anyway, onto the actual update!

Well...this update took way longer than I thought. I genuinely believed that, with the early progress I made on all the minis, that I would have something to show after a couple of weeks. Turns out I was enjoying the 'paint weapons gold, wash and then drybrush a bit' plan a bit too much and forgot how to do other techniques quickly.

I wanted an almost monochrome colour scheme. I wanted the Rangers to feel and look stealthy. I had to add a bit of gold and red because they were looking very flat...but I'm happy with the choices that I made and I think these guys and girls turned out to be one of the best units I've painted. One note to self though; use a little filler on the cloaks next time. The seems are way more noticeable than I expected after building and priming.

Not gonna lie, I was really excited by how the chamo cloaks turned out. I added a fine grey edge highlight and it just helped a few things pop.

The grey weapons were so hard to get right; I ended up using about 5 greys and a wash to make it work.

I need to tidy the bottom of this Ranger's helmet. Probably the most boring pose, but the blandness kinda helps the other poses absolutely pop.

Holy cow I love this pose. Such a cool, atmospheric model.

Bare Aeldari faces terrify me. I followed the GW guide and it got me a decent result. I'd love to see a full on masterclass on Warhammer+, but until that happens, I'm ok with this, especially given my set up, which includes fairly crappy lighting.

I'd love to know which piece of kit this thing is...

Still using Cavalier's recipe for stone and it still works so well.

#RangerGangGang

My speed will increase as I get more used to these minis, but I'm working slowly through the Skyshrouds (Horizon, Forbidden West is too good and too tempting to play!). I also have the Autarch on the go, so hopefully those will hit in the next few weeks.

As always, thank you for taking the time to stop by.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2022, 04:36:24 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #508 on: March 8, 2022, 06:39:39 PM »
Wonderful looking Ranger unit, Loosh, that pattern looks amazing, loving it!

I feel like a winter themed basing scheme would have definitely fit right in with your army - but it looks outstanding as it is!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #509 on: March 8, 2022, 08:35:40 PM »
that camo look awesome well done :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #510 on: March 9, 2022, 01:31:47 AM »
Holy cow they look amazing! Love the camo. Works for so many situations, city, snow, etc. Wonderful work.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #511 on: March 9, 2022, 12:46:35 PM »
The grey-blue scheme looks great. Also, sounds like a really fun week!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2022, 03:56:06 PM »
You've done a really fantastic job on those Rangers.  The colours have turned out very well and I agree with you about the cloaks in particular.  They have a slight aquamarine appearance to them, which is unorthodox, but definitely not out of place.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2022, 06:32:25 PM »
Well Looshkin,

It seems you haven't lost your touch since I've last been here. These eldars the colors are spot on. I might borrow some ideas for mine if you don't mind, like the golden/metalic guns, that pops out so well.

Not gonna lie though these rangers... First the new kits look really damn good... But more than that... They look like ghost to me, I can't get this image out of my head and I LOVE IT. How do you guy's find these small nuggest of perfect coloration for every little things. I still have much to learn.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch
« Reply #514 on: April 24, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »
First off, thank you everyone for your positive feedback on the Rangers. I was hoping you guys would like them, but it's nice to have the validation, as I'm trying something that hasn't really been done by GW...they don't tend to like near-monochromatic looks!

Wonderful looking Ranger unit, Loosh, that pattern looks amazing, loving it!

I feel like a winter themed basing scheme would have definitely fit right in with your army - but it looks outstanding as it is!

Thanks Myen'Tal. Snow you say? That might just work...

So, I apologise for being inactive for a bit. To be honest, I ended up finding the Shroud Runners a bit tougher than I expected. Combined with Horizon on the PS5 taking up a significant chunk of my time, I kinda got out of the habit of painting...and painting needs to be a habit for me, otherwise I never really achieve anything.

Fortunately, I got over the hump and managed to get a couple of good shifts in over the past 3 weeks, to get the Through Runners finished, plus the Autarch.

[/url]

And yes...I tried a Snow Base, as suggested by Myen'Tal.

As soon as I read it, I was like 'duh...why the heck didn't I think of that?' A snow base matches the camp choices, and would also explain why Alaitoc might change the colour scheme of their armour for a protracted campaign. Now, I had had only a somewhat poor and limited experience of doing a snow base (For my Secret Santa a few years ago), so I did a bit of research and was surprised to see that the new Snow 'paint' is way easier to use whilst being more authentic looking that old hobby versions.

So yeah, thank you Myen'Tal, I think your idea has really added something to the army.

Also...dammit Myen'Tal, now I have to go back and rebase 50 other models! Gah!

As far as the Autarch was concerned, I wanted to stay simple with the scheme. I do have to highlight the gold a touch, as I haven't done that yet, but I think the scheme works at the moment. I may go back and add a couple of gems to the Warp Jump Generator. Not sure on that...

A slightly darker exposure which is probably a bit closer to the true colours of the mini:

That's it for the moment. As for what's next...it's big, it's grumpy and it's a bit molten. And Myen'Tal beat me to the punch by painting one first. It's the Avatar. Again, I have some different ideas for the big guy, so hopefully they'll work...but it's going to be a lot less red than most Avatars you see!

As always, thank you for stopping by. I love the feedback, and as you've seen in this update, I definitely listen and try to incorporate the best ideas into my painting.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #515 on: April 25, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »
I knew winter bases would have turned out well, and you did them spectacular as always, Loosh  :). Very scenic, but not too loud, looks like they're skimming across a nice stretch of tundra. The finished camo patterns on the bikes looks superb, as well as the ranger cloaks - wonderful work here. Also loving your Autarch - you definitely avoided the mistakes I made with both of mine - whose schemes are a little less unified and loud.

Aiming to correct that!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #516 on: May 4, 2022, 02:52:37 AM »
God damn this looks amazing.

I have one quick question, how do. You paint the gold, what wash/highlight do. You use, because I see it ans it looks amazing but I'm to inexperience to recognise the colors.

Yup snow base all the way with these ones... Good luck for the re-basing xD
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #517 on: June 19, 2022, 09:44:28 PM »
wow loving the camo effect and that autarch is looking very crsp, well done :)

Snow basing looks great too