News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57432 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar)
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
Dang DoW looking really good. That eye though... man is it creepy! The base looks nice too now it has some color on it. Looking killer DoW give us MOAR!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:44 PM »
Quick update. Finished a warp spider and an exarch, which brings me to two squads of six fully painted. Really enjoying these new snow bases for the chaos army, so I'm going to get everything based that I've painted for the game. Cool news, my new gaming friend was really into all the offshoot games from GW and he has all the armies for Man o War and Necromunda and all the evil armies for Warhammer Fantasy. I think we'll be trying a game of Man o' War next month, which will be super exciting. Tempted to try orks, but as a starter he's suggested I try Bretonia. I will most certainly update you with batreps and photos of those games.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:23:35 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
Nice job on the warp spiders.

The snow does look good, if you want something different for each army, Galeforce nine does an ash flock, which looks good as a luna style landscape.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
Damn DoW I love the paint jobs on those Spiders! Wow a really dark, vibrant paint scheme and super well executed. Everything looks so dang smooth, I really like it. The white helm, the dark wraithbone and the green accent colors all really play well of the dark blue and black. Really nicely done man. 2x6 Spiders is nasty business! Can we get a group shot of all those guys?

Also you lucky dog! Thats so awesome that your friend has those old school games... It really takes me back to the day when you'd run into somebody with just a massive collection of old school GW esoterica. Sounds like an absolute blast. Keep us posted and take some pics if you get a chance I love those old school games

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2016, 09:51:21 PM »
Thanks for the love on the spiders. I truly love those models and I hope they never change them.

@magenb I'm using the Galeforce Nine snow flock on the chaos army and I'm really digging their effects. I think I'll have to try that ash flock you're suggesting sometime.

@Cav I'll do you one better and I'll post the entire army.

So I had my chaos rematch on the weekend and had an awesome game even though we were only able to fit in three turns. The game ended up being a little one sided by the end of turn three and it was getting pretty late, so we decided to call it. This was our first game with psykers and it took quite a while to go through the psychic phase. That was mostly my fault for loaning him my sixth edition rulebook and him coming to the table with a lot of preconceived notions on what was supposed to take place.

Extra bonus though, my opponent brought some wicked new scenary to leave at my place, including a full set of resin ork barricades. They are so beautiful, I couldn't stop drooling over them the whole game.

I brought my 1500 point list from above and he brought the some list as usual, but added a squad of thousand sons and another three man bike squad. I rolled on the biomancy table, as I didn't take a mark and got warp speed and endurance with the primaris. He rolled for doombolt. He also had a gift for his possessed champion, which usually amounts to nothing, but his roll was for d3+1 more rolls, which I he three more. His first roll was for witch killer, then he got daemon prince followed by bloated. That was unexpected and I thought I would be in for a doozy of a game. As I would later find out that daemon prince total threw my opponent for a loop and really messed with his mind that he just held him back for most of the game.

My opponent rolled to go first and he set everything up on the board, either in ruins or behind barricades. I started with my two units of marines in rhinos, the bikers, and the spawn behind some cover and the helbrute on the second floor of a ruin. His first turn was focused on firing everything at the spawn that could reach and he succeeded in killing a model and placing a wound on a second. My first turn got my spawn into some ruins and in striking range for a turn two charge and my rhino's havoc launchers, bike plasma and helbrute plasma killing off some noise marines.

Turn two had him focusing blastmasters and obliterators on my rhinos and he only succeeds in removing two hull points off of one. This wasted the rest of his noise marines who could not target the spawn that were waiting to strike. My terminators came down and thanks to his jinks are unable to damage his bikes, but the helbrute and some havoc launchers made short work of the lead unit. One unit of obliterators land and kill a few noise marines with flamers. The real damage comes from my marines. Both units advance in their rhinos and disembark behind some barricades. They then unload plasma and boltgun fire into his noise marines and thousand sons decimate two units. This sets up the lone spawn to charge the thousand sons, the bikers the crippled noise marines and the two unharmed spawn to charge the full unit of noise marines with his lord. Very few wound are caused on both sides, but I've successfully tarpitted most of his army.

Turn three sees his bikes charging in with mine, but I ace his champion with my power sword before he has a chance to use his powerfist. The thousand sons sorcerer charges his force axe and kills the spawn and his daemon prince and possessed charge into the other spawn and wipe them out. On my side I use my terminators to charge into the bike fray and wipe everyone out. The two units of marines, along with the first obliterator squad and the second deep-striking one that comes on this turn half the rest of the noise marines and the possessed left on the table. We call the game at this point with him only having the thousand sons sorcerer, the daemon prince, his three obliterators and only a handful of noise marines and possessed. I had only lost two marines from each squad, a biker, and my spawn.

Not having elite chaos marines like plague marines, as my troops allowed my to dominate the game, as it gave my a few hundred extra points to play with versus his elite force of noise marines and thousand sons. I was initially worried about losing the feel no pain, but it really was a no contest. We're going to try using the same lists again next time and hopefully my opponent can get a different outcome. I really didn't expect him to hold back with that prince, but as he wasn't expecting it, it really threw him for a loop.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:21:32 PM by dog_of_war »

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2016, 05:19:43 AM »
I'm still very confused by the whole Daemon Prince situation.  You opponent essentially gains a Daemon Prince that he wasn't expecting and doesn't seem to know what to do with it is the way I read the battle.  Is this correct?  If so, surely just attacking with it was the only option?  I'm very surprised that it didn't spearhead the attack, as it would have made life much more difficult for you in some of those close combat situations.  I'm sure that your opponent would use it in this way next time.

Chaos versus Chaos is always fun, and I think that you have fairly similar armies in some respects, so the potential for close battles in the future looks very promising.  Thanks for the report :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2016, 06:57:21 AM »
Awesome stuff DoW. First off your Eldar... what an absolutley classic looking force! I love the original paint scheme and the execution is so bright and clean I just love it. What great army composition too... just classic stuff. Keep it up man your Eldar are rocking.

As for the bat-rep, while it might not have been a close game, at least you had a good bust-up. Too bad your opponent got confused on what to do, the Daemon Prince really could have helped. BTW it was awesome how your Lord executed the champion... just the kind of brutal stuff I'd expect from a Chaos civil war.

Anyway whats next on the hobby agenda? More games, more painting? Let us know and thanks for the bat-rep bud, really enjoyable!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2016, 08:13:04 AM »
@Irisado As the daemon Prince replaced his possessed champion he just had it in his head that he needed to keep it with his unit, even though I repeatedly had to explain that a monstrous creature cannot join units. He was also crippled with the idea that he needed to hide his possessed, as they were continually shot up in earlier games. After the game we talked about how he needed to be more aggressive and to take advantage of the possessed fleet to scurry from cover to cover to get into close combat, as soon as possible.

What really swayed the game was the timing and target priority. He focused all of his heavy fire power on my spawn leaving all that great high ap sonic blasters and inferno bolts weaponry to waste, as it did nothing to my armour. My spawn were an excellent distraction and I've seen this happen three games in a row so far.

@Cav terminators ate 80% painted. I'll finish them up and post this week. I'm thinking that the bikes will be next, followed by the rhinos.

We'll be having another rematch in a few weeks, so I'll keep everyone posted.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:40:47 AM by dog_of_war »

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
Yes, Spawn are great for absorbing bullets.  I remember an old army of Killersquid's using Spawn in a similar manner to significant effect.

I agree that the Possessed have to be used aggressively.  Your opponent is right that they may get shot up, but it's far better to be aggressive with them, because even if just a few make it into combat they can be very dangerous.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:18 PM »
Thanks for the love on the spiders. I truly love those models and I hope they never change them.

Do a search for "Attercops".. GW should buy the molds from this guy.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
@magenb Those models are sick. Too bad I've finished all my spiders, as they would have been awesome editions. Maybe I could replace my exarchs, as I never equip them with powerblades or double spinners, so the current models are never true representations.

Completed one of my termies. Just need to add the snow, but I thought I'd give everyone a glimpse. I really wanted to avoid the impulse to go metallic on the gilding, as you see in all over the codex, and I went flat black with a dry brush of Mechanicus Standard Grey. I might have gone a little crazy with the Typhus Corrosion, but I'll let you be the judge.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:18:09 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »
Fantastic stuff DoW. Love the termie, he's looking great. The brain on the shoulder pad is insanely awesome! I don't think you've gone overboard on anything, the dudes looking great, keep it up!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 11:12:51 PM »
Here's the second terminator up for perusal. I'm really digging the gilding with the black and gray drybrush, so I think I've decided to finish off all of my obliterators and marines with the same banding colours. I'm undecided if I should repaint the green marines, but I think I'll leave them for now to give me the option of distinguishing them as plague marines.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:16:08 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »
Nice work again DoW. Really making those old sculpts look very nice. When they are gritty and and grimey they look totally different than those ultra-clean 'Eavy Metal paint jobs. Keep it up man you are cranking through these armies!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #74 on: June 6, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »
Finished the two with lightning claws andjust tweaking the champion, so I won't reveal him yet. I went with green for the claws, as I did with the warp spider exarch's powerblades and I'm not sure if I'm 100% digging it. I may change them to blue to match the plasma colour I'm using with the marines.

I'm also struggling with what to bring for my hq next round. My opponent is side-boarding his possessed, as he begins painting them and is bringing some more obliterators to the party. I'm thinking of switching the terminator sorcerer for one on a bike or just go for the coolness factor and bring a daemon prince. I have one soaking in Simple Green and is ready to be brought back to life. So what should it be: practical Bike Sorcerer or Daemon Prince?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:14:50 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #75 on: June 7, 2016, 06:49:16 AM »
Hey DoW looking really nice man. You are doing a great job with these termies. The posing, weathering and paint jobs look very nice. I think I'd prefer blue on the claws like you were suggesting. I tend to do one color for my "energy" bits. Really its a minor preference but I just think blue would look a bit better.

As for the army choices, a Daemon Prince is always useful. However a Sorcerer on bike is also very nice as well. What are you running and which Chaos book are you running?

Either way keep up the great work buddy and let me know on that list!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #76 on: June 7, 2016, 10:35:46 PM »
Took your advice and changed them to blue, which I much prefer now. Finished the champion as well.

As for my most current list, here it is:

Chaos Sorcerer Mastery Level 2, Terminator Armour

Helbrute Plasma Cannon

Mark of Nurgle Terminators x 4 w/ x2 pair of lightning claws, x1 combi-melta + power axe, x1 heavy flamer + power maul + champion w/ power fist, combi-melta

Mark of Nurgle Marines x 9 w/ x2 plasma + champion w/ power weapon
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Mark of Nurgle Marines x 9 w/ x2 plasma + champion w/ power weapon
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Chaos Bikers x 2 w/ plasma + champion

Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2
Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x 2
Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x 2

[1500]

I'm really digging all the plasma. It's been ace at getting rid of obliterators with their multiple wounds and terminator save. The helbrute has also been so much more useful with his plasma cannon.

The deep-striking sorcerer didn't really contribute much, as he comes in so late, although against a more competitive list I can really see his potential making the terminators a mini-death star.

I'd have to give up something like the bikes or the helbrute if I took a daemon prince because he's such a point sink. I'd also not take him as a flyer because I don't want to overwhelm my new opponent with even more rules to cover just yet.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:13:19 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #77 on: June 8, 2016, 06:46:39 AM »
Wow, really digging those Terminators. It seems to be really easy with Nurgle stuff to make the model look very messy and busy but the way you've painted those guys really works well, you've got a very nice balance there!
Would be interesting to see how you go tactically with the Nurgle stuff, a friend of mine has a fledgling Death Guard themed army but hasn't been having a huge amount of luck with it. Would be good to see what works for you.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #78 on: June 8, 2016, 07:02:37 AM »
Hey DoW. I wouldn't bother with the Prince if he doesn't have wings. Ground based MC's are just so slow now especially if they dont have ranged weapons. I think I'd go with the Sorceror on a bike and beef up your bike unit. I know they don't have ATSKNF but Chaos bikers are still very solid as far as the codex goes. Bikers x5-6 with a Sorceror and the 4x Spawn would be a good little assault wing. The sorceror can hopefully protect or buff them as well.

Also the blue looks really good. It really emphasizes the grit and grim on the Termies... excellent stuff. Also that Termie on the bottom... good lord! Looks like something out of an H.R. Gieger painting! Cool but creepy as hell!

Great stuff DoW keep it up!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #79 on: July 5, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
Sorry for the hiatus in updates, but as always real life always takes precedence over ones hobbies. Just a short update before I get to some more meaty stuff next week. I ended up painting all the filigree on the obliterators and chaos marines with the black/grey drybrushing, as I did on the terminators and I'm really digging the cohesiveness of the force now. Also finished the basing on all the completed models and added the snow effects. Still on the fence about repainting the green chaos marines to match the dusty brown brethren, but I might leave them as is, as an option to take them as plague marines and unique from the rest of the force. Started painting the bikes, but I've convinced my opponent to take on my ork horde next, as I've been itching to get them to the table again. Planning a 1750 game next week and I'm bringing lots of kans, dreads, koptas, and boyz. Should be in for a good time. I'll pre-post the list this week for everyone's perusal.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:11:32 PM by dog_of_war »