News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Civil War on Ivalyo VII - A Thirst For Power  (Read 10733 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Civil War on Ivalyo VII - A Thirst For Power
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
Mission 2 - A Thirst For Power:

[If anyone is interested in joining, feel free to send me a PM. Planning on once per week "game mode" updates, starting in early January. This mission, once it has started, will likely take between 6 to 8 weeks, similar to a game's worth of turns in a game of 40k. you don't need books, just a loose understanding of how 40k works. :)]

Colonel Acer Macrophyllum surveyed their makeshift camp. The smoke was still clearing from the battle a few hours earlier. His eyes lingered on the ruined bunkers, and his mechanical face contorted in a rather clear display of disapproval. Sergeants Madigan and Thantos were in for a rather stern talking to, assuming the Commissariat decided that their actions weren't treasonous. Acer would need to dedicate substantial forces to secure the camp, instead of having access to the bunker network.

They both played key roles in defeating the Ivalyans. That should go a long way to keeping their skulls in one piece. Probably just some light flogging. Probably.

Thankfully, reports had yet to be filed, so neither was being detained. Right now, he wanted everyone available to participate in the interrogation of the Ivalyan irregulars.

Acer continued walking towards the detention area. The area appeared to have once been a Grox yard of some kind, with a high electrified fence surrounding it. So far, no casualties, though some rather serious burns had needed to be treated.

Turning around the corner of a ruin, Acer came face to mask with Magos Ferrous. He stood up straight, and collected himself. No matter how many times he'd interacted with the Magos, he could not seem to overcome his feelings of discomfort around him.

Acer hooked his thumbs, making the sign of the Aquila, and gave a slight bow to Ferrous. Ferrous placed his “wrists” together and spread his “fingers” forming the sign of the Cog, and also gave a slight bow. Given the artificial nature of his body, it made a frightfully accurate depiction, with the digits forming at equal angles in a manner impossible for human hands to achieve.

[OOC:]

I have no idea if the Mechanicus have any kind of hand gestures associated with them. This is the best thing I could think of, to compare with the hooked-thumb-aquila thing. I'm sure it isn't right, and I don't care. Up yours, traditional fluff!

PS: If this ever gets incorporated into fluff proper, you saw it here first! Feel free to spread it around. :)

[/OOC]

“The Emperor protects, Magos.” Acer intoned.

“May the wisdom of the Omnissiah forever reach your dataslate.” Ferrous replied in his dry, mechanical voice.

“Please forgive my having to leave right away, but I must attend to the interrogation of the Ivalyan prisoners. Excuse me.” Acer couldn't help but use formal language around Ferrous. He moved to go around the Magos' left side.

A mechadendrite slithered out from beneath Ferrous' robe, and blocked Acer's way. Acer recoiled from it. He'd been touched by the mechanical appendages before, and had found the experience revolting.

“I believe that this issue is more pressing than your interrogation. I would not bother you if the need weren't pressing.” Ferrous explained in his near inflectionless voice. ”It would seem that the temporal displacement is beginning to have an impact on our supplies. In particular, the fuel reserves acquired after our dispatch are disappearing. Or perhaps they're returning to their proper place in this timeline. Similarly, our energy sources seem to be depleting at a rapid rate.”

For a moment, Acer couldn't remember what the Magos was referring to. “What..” Acer trailed off as memories began flooding his mind. They had traveled backwards through time, and arrived before the distress beacon had been activated. Except that wasn't possible. They must have arrived after the beacon. Acer shook his head to clear it. It hurt to think about it. He remembered it now. They had arrived before the beacon had been activated. Right in the midst of the civil war taking place on Ivalyo VII.

“Sorry, Magos Ferrous. I'm suffering from that very temporal displacement. I take it you have a solution to the problem?” Acer asked.

“Indeed, Colonel.” Something approaching a greedy smile caused Ferrous' mask to move ever so slightly. ”We've found an underground prometheum processing plant, approximately 1.3572 solar cycles' travel from here. If the plant can be captured, it would supply our needed fuel supply, and we could use generators to charge our energy cells. Further, we suspect that the processing plant would have access to the underground tramway system. Access to such would likely afford a chance to examine the machine's spirit, and there's always the possibility of finding an unknown Standard Construct Template.”

Acer would have sworn the Magos had just allowed emotion into his voice... but he wasn't sure it was possible. “How will we gain access to the refinery? I'm sure the door isn't just hanging open, waiting for us.” Acer was becoming slightly peeved at his delay. “Liberating this refinery seems like a very good idea. Why don't you walk with me to the detention area? We can talk on the way.”

”I regret that I'm needed elsewhere, Colonel Macrophyllum. I'll see to it that we have a suggested plan of attack in your command station within 0.0416 solar cycles. Due to the sensitive nature of the anticipated computer interactions, I'd like to request your permission to send a few operatives along with your force, to help oversee any matters of a technical nature. I've asked them to attend your interrogation of the Ivalyan prisoners, so that you might meet them.”

Acer huffed a brief laugh. Like he could keep the Mechanicus from getting their greedy tendrils into a new piece of technology. Acer recognized that this had been an information session, not a request. “Absolutely, Magos. Their presence will surely be of benefit to the Ambrasians.” Acer hooked his thumbs over his chest, and gave a slight bow. “The Emperor Protects, Magos.”

For his part, Ferrous was quite content. He placed his “wrists” together, and made the sign of the Cog. “May the wisdom of the Omnissiah forever reach your dataslate, Colonel.” Ferrous turned around and departed, as Acer turned around and continued to the detention area.

The detention area was fairly large. There had once been several dozen Grox kept in this particular pen.  Some of the veterans had loaned their shovels to the Ivalyans, and they seemed to be in the process of clearing the barn of Grox dung. The barn certainly hadn't been built with an eye to survive being in a warzone, and clearly hadn't been built with human comfort in mind. Having been a prisoner, and having fought in the Penal Legions, Acer could sympathize with their predicament.

He certainly didn't want to execute the lot of them. Partly because he didn't believe they were a threat, but mostly because he was hoping to gather aid from anyone on the planet still loyal to the Emperor. A man with nothing, can still give his life for the Emperor. If he kept them as prisoners of war, and perhaps released a token few members, he could probably secure the support of any local guerilla forces. Human lives as currency. Very rarely, his bitterness found a way to claw it's way up from his chest. It did so now.

He moved to the Ambrasian group already assembled on the near edge of the detention area. They were wisely staying a few feet back from the fence. Sergeant Madigan was conversing with a small group of prisoners in her usual manner, which was to say loudly and full of profanity.

”Look, one of you is going to have to beslubbering speak for your group. Colonel Macrophyllum has seen to not unleashing Hell on you so far, but if none of you are going to talk to us than you might as well just start burying yourselves in all that amphetamine parrot you're shoveling, and save us the beslubbering trouble! I'm trying to save your skins, but you're going to have to work with me!” Madigan was clearly exasperated.

Some of the prisoners were quietly wiping away tears. Their recently enforced soldiery still weighed heavily upon them. Shame and guilt seemed to pour off of them in waves.

Acer joined the group, and was about to ask what had been learned so far. Instead, one of the women raised her face up. Resolve hardened her face, and she stepped forward towards the fence.

”My name is Violet Alyea. I will speak for the survivors...”

So, as a reminder, we're in free-form mode. You're free to speak on behalf of the NPC's, so long as you don't create some kind of hole I can't dig us out of. :) If you wish to instigate combat, you can do so, and decide on the results of that combat as you wish. Please don't shoot each other, any member of the Ambrasians, and please leave the prisoners alive. They're valuable bargaining tools.

During the first mission, Violet had been prepared to be crushed by Madigan's approaching Devildog. She had cracked, so to speak, and was ready to die. Her survival, and observing Madigan's heroics in attempting to save them from The Immolator have triggered a desire to survive and fight against the Ivalyan separatists. I'm drawing on Ridley Scott's “Ripley” character from the Alien series. She's prepared to be a badass.

Feel free to ask her questions. If you want to answer them yourselves, feel free. If you leave open questions, either myself or another of the players can step in and answer. You never know, there might be game benefits to be had, depending on how the interrogation goes...

After this “scene” we'll probably move forward to interrogating The Commandant. From there, you can do whatever you fancy. Maybe you want to help scout the area for the next mission. Maybe you want to work on your character's back story. Maybe you want to introduce some NPC's for future story purposes. Feel free to let your imagination run.

I'm ready to pass out. Stupid pneumonia is cramping my style. I'll try to stay more involved with the game thread, but my posts will almost certainly be shorter. :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:03:31 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: Civil War on Ivalyo VII - A Thirst For Power
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:28:08 AM »
Madigan turned as the Colonel approached, and saluted as respectfully as she could manage. In anyone else, the gesture would've seemed sincere; given Madigan's demeanour, however, Madigan couldn't help but come across as slightly awkward, even uncomfortable.

"Sir."

"At ease, sergeant," Acer responded. He nodded towards the ex-conscripts. "Have we learned anything?"

"Only what you've just heard, sir," Madigan admitted. "Miss Alyea excluded, it's almost as if the rest of them have had their wills completely broken."

She glanced over distastefully at what they were shovelling, and their general surroundings. "And with respect, sir -- while this is probably the only place to keep them, I don't think shovelling amphetamine parrot really helps with that."

Acer raised an eyebrow and Madigan suddenly became aware of her use of language.

"If I may make a suggestion, sir?" Madigan offered.

"Go on," Acer prompted, somewhat dubious.

"Even if we have to leave them here, sir, they'll need to wash and eat -- preferably in that order," Madigan explained. "Some of these poor bastards don't look like they've eaten for days, and Throne knows how long they'd been chained up. And I think they'll need to see a priest."

"Noted."

Madigan sighed. "And given what we just went through, sir, I think I need to see a priest as well."

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
Alone in a corner of the armoury, Cassandra works on fashioning together another one of her melta missiles at a work bench.  Her hair falls over her face as she struggles to focus on the task at hand.

"Hello? Cassandra?" calls Flint as he works his way to her.  Even though she hears him, Cassie doesn't look up from her work.  "You've been down here for almost 2 hours." says Flint with great concern, "Is there anything you need? Can I h-"

Cassandra slams the missile down on the bench in frustration and lets out short roar, "AAAAargh! Stupid fraking thing won't fraking frak!"

Flint jumps and panics a bit, expecting an explosion. Luckliy nothing happens and he reaches out to her, "Cass?"

"Rampart, Bronx, and Misfire killed. Romeo and Rico shot to pieces. And for what? The damned bunkers blew up and we're left with a bunch of squatters.  Aaarg, we barely even scraped the frakers before they tore us to pieces."  Cassandra barks at Flint as she punches the bench-top.

"Cass, how long have we known each other?"

Cassandra sighs, "4 years for you, 5 for me."

Flint smirks at the time travel that comes with this job and continues, "And in all that time you've pulled through and those around  you survived because of you.  I should be in the stomach of a Carnifex right now, but you blew that fraker's head off before it could touch me!  ...I still feel like I'm picking bits of nid guts out of my nose." Flint smirks.

Cassandra wants to be upset right now but can't help but laugh, "You're right. You're right Flint. Thank you." She turns to him and gets right in his face with a pointed finger, "Now if you die after all that, I'll bring you back as a servo skull just so I can yell at you for the rest of my life!"

Flint laughs, looks down and picks up a component and hands it to Cassie, "You best get this working, you might need to save my ass again!"

Cassandra just smirks at him as she yoinks the piece and gets back to work.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
"Hello Miss Alyea," Colonel Macrophyllum began, "it is our understanding that your group was forced to fight us, against your will. Is that correct?"

Violet and the others wince at the use of the word "will", but she recovers, while the others quietly stare at the ground. "We were forced to fight, yes. When... when the false prophet first began to sway the defence force, we tried to rally against them. All we had were tools, and the odd lasgun or crawbah to fight with. Needless to say, we were overcome quickly. We were no match for soldiers."

"They gathered us up, and put us to work in labour camps, mines, forestry. The... false prophet... seems to be trying to amass resources. The defence forces were transporting materials above ground, but resistance fighters started attacking the convoys. After that, they reactivated the underground tramways. Those faint rumblings under your feet now and again? That's a tram moving under us."

Acer nodded, and leaned in to speak quietly with Madigan. "They'll be tried as traitors, when this is done, and she's just admitted guilt for her entire group."

In equally hushed tones, Madigan replies, "Maybe they'll prove useful, somehow. That might keep them from all being executed, at least. A Priest's sanction on their piety might go a ways to helping that. Uh, Sir."

Raising his voice, Acer addresses the captives. "Sergeant Madigan has suggested that you all might need a wash, a meal, and a Priest. I'll send a request to the preachers, so that they may see to your crew's spiritual well being. After that, we'll get you washed off and fed. We'll set some tables out here. You'll be kept under armed guard while you eat, and then you'll be returned to the detention area. It's the best we can do for now. We can't afford to keep you outside of a confined area, we don't have the manpower. Your people seem to be able to handle clearing the... mess... to create livable space. For now, you are prisoners of war. We'll keep you alive, and if you are willing to put the effort into it, you'll keep yourselves out of squalor. Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to prove your worth to the Emperor yet."

The mention of a meal has brought some life into the eyes of the captives. Violet speaks up, "We are grateful for your offer, Sir. We will prove our worth."

Acer turns to the assembled officers and Sergeants. "Does anyone have any questions to ask, while we have the opportunity?"

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
Not attending the meeting Antonoch and his crew where near the tent and on or around the camo painted Russ.  Small final things like prepping rations, ensuring fuel and water Jerry's are full fell to the peppy trooper Elftman who eagerly took to the task before Lt. Antonoch could order him to do so.  Trooper Frohock was head and torso in the engine compartment of the Tank rear end in the air with his beret sticking out his back pocket.  Antonoch knew he was doing something but trusted him as the tank "mechanic" to do what needed to be done instead of reporting it to the Mechnicus, especially since there was a lot more of them then normal on the trip down.  Cpl. Iffirt, Blessett and troopers Lipria and Brensel played a game of cards sitting on Jerry's stove cases or ammo boxes in a circle next to the tent.  The Lt was not playing as he did not feel like it but sat around joking with his crew. 

Cpl. Suth Blessett smoking his stinking iho sticks dangling out of his mouth smoke wafting as he made a joke about his drinking days before the guard.  The circle of men just laughed and kept playing smoking and some drinking asmec in moderation at the Lt.'s recommendation to keep combat readiness some what there.  Antonoch new that some of his guys still could fight well drunk but would rather not test that odds he told them to keep it slow. 

The Lt. sat against the pole of the tent on a stubber box reading a data slate and half listing in on his men. He was trying to fill him self in on what he missed in the last actions and the landing briefing as his squad showed up late and missed first call due to space problems as there was not enough room for 2 tanks on the first landing he was told.  not much to be said but the smoking runes near them where the objectives that well got destroyed.  Penal regiments he joked in his head and laughed to gun happy.  His boys will fit right in with this group.  Turing his attention to another crude joke about something Sammy the driver did to some girl back a while ago and the whole crew broke out laughing even echos came from the engine hatch...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »
Acer nodded his head. It seemed his staff were satisfied with the questioning of the prisoners.

"I'm heading to the Cell [ The basement of the central ruin, where The Commandant is being held ], if anyone cares to join me." Acer set off a brisk pace, leaving a couple of attendants to organize the needs of the prisoners.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
As Acer walks toward the Cell, Cassandra drops down from her hidden perch and joins him, walking respectively behind him.  She's determined to justify what they're doing and why.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »
"The Cell" was dark, dry, and had more than a little rubble pushed off to the side to allow easier passage through the underground hallways. The assembled officers and sergeants [and any other rank of character that would like to show up...] gathered outside of the newly installed bars, that locked the Commandant inside his cell. Two soldiers saluted, and one of Oxnard's Ogryns also stood up, crumping his head on the ceiling as he did so. Presumably, the Ogryn cursed in some language none of the others could understand, before bowing to Acer with a hand on his skull.

The Commandant briskly stood up from his cot at the back of the cell, and began approaching the bars, while staying in the shadows.

Acer was confused, and turned to one of the guards. "I'd ordered him kept alive, but no juvenat treatments, and certainly no skin-grafts. I can't remember approving an Ogryn guard either. We need them up on the surface clearing the ruins of traitors!"

Trooper Barlo nervously replied, "Sir, he's refused all treatment. He wouldn't even take a slap of Obscura for the pain... not that I would know where to find it!" He added quickly, eyes shifting to his companion.

Trooper Carl let out an exasperated sigh. "Barlo, if I swing for that..."

Acer couldn't care less about how his men spent their spare time, so long as they were ready for action when the time came. He waved his hand to cut them off. "You're saying that he hasn't had any medical treatment!? He's walking... he's got skin for the love of the throne. Last time I saw him he was barely alive..."

Barlo stepped in, "Sir, that's why we brought the Ogryn down. We wanted to make sure nothing happened..."

"My greetings to The Colonel." The Commandant interrupted, stepping into the circle of light that penetrated his cell. His skin had a fresh, pink colour to it. Some looked like it might scar, but the majority looked like it was new skin. "I appreciate the bed, and reasonably comfortable surroundings. May I compliment you, on appropriately dealing with The Sheep."

Acer wheeled angrily upon the guards. "What have you been telling him?"

"Nothing Sir!" Carl sputtered. "We were just talking together, we figured he would be unconscious. You saw him, Sir! He should be dead! We didn't know he was even awake. He was just lying there..."

"Yes, I can attest that the reports of my near death were rather exaggerated." The Commandant chuckled. A rather disturbing sound, coming from those lips. "You see? Through The Will you can overcome your weakness, and gain incredible power from the experience. I am living proof! I had underestimated you, Ambrasians. It will be a privilege to lead you, once you come to realize the true way."

[Open for Characters to interact / question / stare blankly...]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:46:43 AM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Halollet

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »
Cassandra listens to the Commandant, unimpressed but listens carefully.  Suddenly she realizes that the Commandant reminded her of something she experienced down in the hives.  Her eyes open hide.

"FRAKING CHAOS!" Cassie screams suddenly as she pulls out a melta bomb and asks Acer, "SIR! Permission to vaporize him!"

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:04:47 AM »
[OOC]
Slight fluff problem here, GBT. The Ambrasians' current logistical nightmare notwithstanding, juvenat would not be available to anyone except Acer, given his station, and the higher-ups in the Mechanicus*, Munitorum and Ministorum contingents. I don't even know if these two troopers would know about it, so Acer telling these guys "no juvenat treatments" is at best going to confuse them.

*Whether Erlok and Korama would get any meaningful benefit is open for debate.
[/OOC]

Madigan put a hand on Sergeant Vlachen's shoulder, partly to reassure her, partly to restrain her if things got out of hand.

"Easy, Ace," she cautioned her. "The Colonel knows."

Vlachen glared at Madigan, practically looking daggers at her as she pushed Madigan away. "Get your frakking hand off me."

"You think I like it any more than you do?" Madigan countered. "Think about it -- the Colonel knows, and hasn't executed him yet. He knows what he's doing."

Madigan stepped away from Vlachen. "Besides, he's gonna get what's coming to him, and Emperor help me, I fully intend to make good on that septic tank thing."

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
Around Shelly and the crews staging area the men where out in circle on various seats. All around the Center table playing a gambling game of cards to pass the time.  The Lt. even joined in now as he felt caught up in the current standing of things.  Smoke rose from the circle as well as more laughing and taking as the game went on. With dinner on the stove behind the tank crew, acquired local sources fresh meat and what people on this planet call vegetables are on the stove.  The crew was enjoying this task for now some drinks, good friends, good times and fresh food. Lt. Told them all this would not last and not to get settled into this but enjoy it when you can.

OCC troops up to nothing productive now ready to go and waiting to grind the Russ into battle.  Seeing as Lt. Antonoch has not seen or met the commandant he is not there. OCC

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
[ooc]

Lulz... whenever a fluff snafu occurs, just mentally substitute something less idiotic. Details are for the scribes, and I only play a scribe in real life.

[/ooc]

At the accusation of "Chaos", The Commandant spits on the floor.

Acer allowed himself a wry smile, twisting his mechanical visage into something truly grotesque. He turned to address Cassandrah. "I've seen this wretch consumed by a Melta cannon. I'm not sure if a melta bomb would be sufficient, Sergeant." Acer turned to the Commandant, "Which does lead me to my first question. What foul sorcery has allowed you to recover so quickly, traitor?"

"You insult me. Insinuating that I would prostrate myself before the Dark Gods like some weak minded fool. If you only understood the truth of the universe, you would know that we have no Gods, no Masters, save those we choose. We can choose to follow the wisdom of another, but ultimately it is our choice to do so, and we can choose to go our own way at any time." The Commandant began.

"I am free. The followers of the Dark Gods are prisoners to the whims of beings that mortals could never hope to comprehend. I would just be trading the bloated beuraucracy of the Imperium for the unknowable insanity of the warp. No, I follow a better path."

"I sought to oppose the way of The Will. I lead waves of men against his stronghold, seeking to defeat the man that had "subverted" the military. Our meagre wills were like waves breaking upon the rocks of his might." The Commandant takes on a tone of fond reverie. "Eventually, we were surrounded, hunkered down inside a ruin. We were going to die. I organized the remaining men, planning to make a charge for the forests surrounding the capital. Not that I expected any of us to survive, but it was better than nothing, you see? I bellowed a war cry, and we surged out from our hiding place. No shots were fired at us. That's when The Will stepped out from the trees, and invited us to join him. I'd never seen anything like him in all my years. Most of my men dropped their weapons. Others stood dumbstruck, and yet others fled back into the ruins. I raised my bolt pistol, and fired right at his head." The Commandant laughs, a rich, joyful sound. "I tried to destroy my salvation. Just as you seek to do. I can't be angry with you. You haven't seen what I've seen. The Will caught the bolt, in his hand. I heard it detonate, and then he dropped the spent powder and fragments upon the ground. His hand was unscathed."

"The Will doesn't seek to subjugate. He doesn't desire to be worshipped, though he is certainly worthy of it. He doesn't seek dominion, though it shall be his regardless. He is the next Emperor of mankind, but it shall not be by his will alone that the void is held in check. It shall be by the masses, raised up to be like gods, living among the stars. HE shall lead us. The worthy shall share his gifts, if they are willing to make the sacrifice."

Offline Trokair

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
Meanwhile at the edge of the Ambrasians encampment.

A light with no source flickered briefly two meters of the ground, attracting the attention of a few Ambrasians nearby. The light diapered again.

Seconds passed, and then over a minute had gone when the entire area was lit up by a glowing sphere. A rush of air emanated from it, followed by a sonic bang and as the light faded the air rushed the other way.

Where the light had been now stood a light tank smaller than a chimera. Standing in the open back was a dark red robed figure, a black helmet staring out beneath the hood. Surrounding the vehicle stood several more figures, also robed and bearing the marks of the Mechanicus. A little distance away several dozen crates had appeared, several of which had fallen over and one looked like it had been cut in half but there was no second half. A figure slinked unnoticed into the shadows as all attention was focused on the Tech-Priest and his Skitarii guard.

[OOC]Koval, if you want Korama can be the figure that disappeared into the shadow, if not then GBT can use that line for other plot purposes [/OOC]

Nor Erlok stepped down and sent a burst of Lingua-technis to the Skitarii, two stayed behind to guard the vehicle, two moved to flank Nor Erlok while the one closest to the Ambrasians hurried forward towards them.

“Magus Ferrous has sent us, where is your commanding officer? My master, Tech-Priset Nor Erlok, will speak with him.”

Directions where given to the Cell, though with reluctance and much arguing about authority and proper protocol.

The Tech-Guard who had spoken joined the two guarding Nor Erlok and the group headed into camp. As they passed the Ambrasians faint muttering, interrupted by static and bursts of binary tech-chant, could be heard from the Enginseer.

“Omnissiah … accursed teleporter… unstable… temporal displacement… back… beginning of… Ivalyo … disaster… again…”

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:32:18 PM by Trokair »
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
"Whether or not you worship the Great Enemy is now irrelevant. You've declared yourself a traitor, and I won't bear your blasphemy any longer." Acer declared. "I hereby turn you over to the tender ministrations of the Commissariat. I could almost feel sympathy for you, were you not such a despicable waste of the Emperor's resources." Colonel Macrophyllum spat at the Commandant's feet, performed a formal right face, and briskly walked away, planning to return to the detention area.

The Commandant called after him. "The Colonel and his men need not worry about myself. There's nothing that can be done to me to outstrip what I've already endured... and survived. I shall see The Colonel's men raised on high, even if he must be thrown down to do so."

Raising his voice to ensure that The Colonel would be able to hear, The Commandant continued while pointedly looking at Cassandra. "It is good to see that The Hiver is still fully functional. The Will expressed his desire to see her unharmed, if possible. Given The Hiver's recklessness, I had my doubts that he'd be able to extend his will to such an extent as to protect her, yet I can see she's still as energetic as The Will had forseen. I should not have doubted him." An oily grin spread across The Commandant's face.

Acer stopped for a moment, out of sight, before continuing his walk. The Commandant noted the pause in footfalls, and his smile grew.

[ooc]

I need the Commandant alive until the intermission between mission 2 and mission 3. You can't kill him, but you needn't worry about harming him, should you wish to continue questioning him. The Commandant is genuinely not affiliated with Chaos in any way, shape or form. I don't know if there's a "fluffy" way to test for that, but he would be found to be without taint. Further, he'd register as "extra" human, with a strong non-psyker warp presence, if such a thing is fluffily possible...

Acer is headed to the detainment area, with the intention of creating a ruse to release Violet without it seeming that he's releasing a prisoner. This ruse will likely involve dragging her out of the area, after she does something "bad", to be "executed" in the woods...

Initial deployment map, description, and game objectives will be up by the end of this weekend, at the latest. I'm hoping we can have our deployment preferences and first turn orders in by Thurs, Jan 9. More on that in the "outside of game" thread.

[/ooc]

Offline Halollet

« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
A long moment of pause washed over Cassandra after Commandant finished speaking.  As her eye twitched she looked at one of the guards, "What did you tell him about me?" she asks quietly, rage obviously boiling inside her.

"N-nothing Sir.  As w-we told th-" the guard says, terrified by the look in Cassandra's eye.

Not waiting for him to finish she charges the cell's bars and slams them hard, shaking the walls causing dust to fall from the ceiling.  "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?" she roars at the Commandant.

A chuckle echos from the cell as the prisoner begins to speak, "You cannot und-"

"SHUT UP!!!" Cassandra screams in a voice loud enough that it rivals a battle cannon shot.  Taking a step back she points at him and says, "As soon at he is done with you, I'm blowing up into a fine mist.  Then, I can happily forget that you ever existed and everything you have done will be worthless."  Without letting him say another word to her, Cassandra storms out. 

Heading back up to the camp she composes herself and goes to find Flint.  Pulling him aside with a word she talks softly so that she would not be heard by anyone else.

"Flint, you have to trust me when I tell you this and you must swear to me that you will tell no one." she says.

Puzzled, but placing his trust in her, Flint nods, "Of course."

Cassie takes a deep breath and says, "I think we might be dealing with Chaos.  I faced a cult of them back in the hive and that lunatic down there sounds just like they did."

Flint's eye pop open, "Oh frak me."

"Just keep your eyes and ears open for me.  Anyone that starts acting differently like questioning the Imperium or insisting on seeing that lunatic, you let me know.  I don't want to loose anyone. Not ag-" Cassie cuts herself off and whipes a tear from her cheek.

"You alright Cas?"

"I'm fine. Nothing you need to worry about.  Come on, let's check the equipment again. I want everything perfect." she mutters as she turns to leave.

With a nod, Flint follows her and they silently head to the armoury.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
[As always, if you're interested in joining, just send me a PM! Until Thursday, I can slot you in quite easily. After that, your options would be limited to something available. :)]

Colonel Acer Macrophyllum engages in conversation with Violet, outside of earshot of the other prisoners, under the pretense that he wishes to speak with her about the conditions of said prisoners.

During their talk, he decides she can be trusted. He suddenly raises his voice, without warning, and declares that he is now convinced that Violet had been working with the Commandant, and is to be executed for treason. In light of Acer's desire to not harm the remaining prisoners' spirits, he declares she'll be taken to the nearby northern forest. He sends his bodyguards into the compound to retrieve her. The other prisoners make no moves to defend her, and Acer experiences pangs of guilt for putting them through this, but he can think of no other way to free Violet within Imperial Law. The needs of the many.

Lugg takes a solid reverse headbutt, and grumbles an innuendo to Violet about how Catachans like things on the rough side, which settles her down somewhat. Leaving behind anyone that Acer wouldn't trust with the information, under the guise that he wants to see this done personally, they get out to the forest. They have a confrontation in which Violet issues the rather clichee, “Lets just get this over with,” whereupon Acer explains that he wants her to find any friendly geurilla fighters, and explain that the Ambrasians are here to help.

She leaves, and Acer expresses his worries to anyone within earshot, but decides it's a risk worth taking.

Upon his return to camp, Acer meets up with Magos Ferrous, briefly goes over the plan to capture the refinery, is informed that there should be minimal resistance, and sets about getting prepared.

Within a week, the Ambrasian task force has arrived at the underground refinery, only to find that the Ivalyans have been overrun by another force. While dressed similarly to the Ivalyan military, all Imperial iconography has been defaced, and a green Hydra-like creature has been painted over top of them...

Briefing - Mission 2: A Thirst For Power

Your mission is to wrest control of the refinery from whatever forces oppose you, be they Ivalyan regulars or Ivalyan “rebels”.

Primary Objective:

Open the Main Entrance door, and secure the entrance to the refinery, marked “X”. The Mechanicus scouts have determined that there are computer terminals located at points marked “A” to “F”. The Mechanicus  believe that they can be used to open the Main Entrance door, somehow. They may be linked through an internal network. I don't know what a Poke-ball is, quit asking. ;)

Secondary Objective:

Control as many of the computer terminals as possible. The terminals may have uses beyond opening the blast door [ Secret Objective! ] ... Computer terminals are “plant your flag” type objectives. All terminals begin under “Ivalyan Regulars” control, and may be taken by any faction. The Rebels are also attempting to gain control of the terminals. Once a terminal is captured, the capturing unit may move away, and the terminal will remain under their control, unless another faction attempts to capture it.

Tertiary Objective:

Destroy the ability of the enemy to mount a counter attack. [Destroy 75% or more of enemy “points” of  models.]

So what was the whole, “Technology Skill” about, anyway?

See “Objectives” below. It has to do with how you capture the computer terminals, and maybe how you gain access to them. :D

Objectives:

Controlling the Main Entrance is the primary objective. Open it with certain computer terminals, and then occupy the space inside the ring at the end of the mission, like any other objective.

This mission requires that computer terminals be captured. Each terminal is protected by an AV 11 door, that is destroyed by 3 HP of damage, or by the use of a “Breaching Charge” that all PC units are issued. Assault a door, and “pop!” it's open. A glance causes a single point of damage, a penetrating hit causes 2.

You can also open a door, by passing a Technology test on a d10, while in base contact. No chance to destroy the console inside, that way. :)

The terminals in “ruins” have doors on the ground inside of them. If you're inside the ruin, you may freely attack them. If you're within 12” of a ruin, you may make a “called shot” to attack them. A “called shot” works by declaring you're trying to hit a specific / hard to hit target. Roll to hit as normal. If you hit, roll a Ld test. On a 5 or less, you hit your target. On a 6+, but pass your Ld check, you still hit something from the unit, or in this case, you'd hit the ruin, which would probably have no effect, unless I think it would be dramatic for it to do so. :) If you fail your ld check, the shot is discarded.

The doors to the “Buildings” are the same as those within the ruins, but you can “called shot” them so long as you can draw LOS to them. They're the big, black, door looking things on the buildings. You can also destroy the buildings the terminals are in to gain access... but there has to be a catch!

The catch is, that if you “over destroy” the doors, or destroy the “buildings” that the computers are inside, you might damage the consoles. For example using a breaching charge will destroy the computer on a 6+ on a d6. Collapsing the building might destroy the console on a 4+, while an “exploded” building might destroy it on a 2+.

Once you've gained access to a console, you must gain control of it. Pass a technology test to do so, on a d10. Easy, right? You can do this on the same turn as you open a door... if you can deal with the guardians first.

Half of the consoles effect one thing, half of them effect another. Controlling as many as you can is a good thing. There are varying degrees of success, so the more the merrier!

I have 6 different guardians, and as each objective is explored, I'll randomly determine which guardian is found. Rebel units can also explore objectives. The guardians range from “nothing”, to, “an unfairly difficult guardian” in terms of difficulty. Each one will only be found once. I'm also going to randomly determine which type of console is found / destroyed.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm not trying to hide how to succeed, just what happens if you do. ;)

The Battlefield:

This battle will take place on a 6' x 4' board, using Hammer and Anvil deployment. The Ambrasians start on the left side. Outflankers will arrive on either the North or South side [long board edges].

Deployment:

Ambrasian Warlord Trait: “Inspiring Presence”.

Ivalyan Rebel Warlord Trait: Unknown – Warlord not on the table yet.

Many of the Rebel forces are kept in reserve. Many.

There are low walls along both sides of the road, with openings between them.

Rebel Forces Currently Deployed

You don't get to see where these guys are, but they have the same objectives you do, and are likewise able to score objectives with non-troop units. Numbers after letters represent that unit's tech score.

A: 7 - ISQ: Autocannon, Grenade Launcher, Vox
B: 6 - ISQ: Autocannon, Grenade Launcher, Vox
C: 5 - ISQ: Lascannon, Plasma gun, Vox

E: 4 - CCS: Lascannon, Vox

F: 7 - PCS: Autocannon, Vox

G: 6 - Hellhound: Hull Multi-Melta

H: 4 - Vets: 3x Meltagun, Autocannon, Chimera w/ Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer

I: 8 - Basilisk: Hull HB

[Letters subject to change before game start... About half of their points are in reserve.]

Ambrasian Forces: Let me know if you'd like to deploy by reserve or otherwise! If outflanking, let me know if you'd like to flank North or South. If you Deep Strike, decide if it's by air or by tunneling... not that I think that applies.

Acer: 5 – CCS: 2x Grenade Launcher, 1x Flamer, 1x Quirk [Vox / Astro] 2x Bodyguards, Chimera

Antonoch: 6 – LRBT: Dozer Blade, Upgraded Coms, Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolter
 - Proper Russ Commander: May fire Turret, and other Weapons, as normal.

Cassie: 8 – Vets: 3x GL, Demolitions, Cassie's ML and upgrades
     BS5, Scout, re-roll successful cover saves from ML, Relentless, ATSKNF

Korama: 8 - Marbo-ish (3+ Armour save, 5++ invulnerable save) Deploys like Marbo, ETA turn 2
- Power sword, replaces Envenomed Blade
- Haywire grenades
- Shred to ripper pistol

Madigan: 7 – Devildog: Scout, Twin-linked Melta-cannon, Hull MM, Heavy Stubber, Jink

Nor Erlok: 9 - Enginseer: Inferno Pistol, grenades
 - 5x Skitarri [Like Stormies] 3x Boltguns, 2x Meltaguns
 - Modified Centaur: Extra Armour, Melta Cannon Like an open-topped Chimera?

Oxnard: 2 - [5] Ogryn: 2x Autocannon

1: 6 - Lieutenant Rodriguez – PCS: 2x Plasma gun, Chimera
  2: 6 -Sergeant Eduard - ISQ: GL / HB
  3: 7 - Sergeant Ferdinand - ISQ: GL / HB
  4: 8 - Sergeant Grimaldus - ISQ: GL / HB

5: 5 - Sergeant Thantos – LR Demolisher: Hull HB

6: 7 - Sergeant Desmond - 3x Scout Sentinels: 3x AC Outflanking North, ETA turn 2

Please describe where / how you'd like to deploy. The Friendly NPC's will be deployed near the road, coming in from the left side, unless otherwise mentioned. A-1 is top left, B-4 is bottom right. Be as picky as you'd like. Once deployment is done, we'll issue orders for first turn. Doesn't seem fair to make you issue orders without knowing where the baddies are. ;)

The enemy NPC's are trying to achieve the same objectives you are, so you can probably guess where they'll be. Keep in mind, that the watch tower is within their deployment zone. They'll take advantage of that.

First Turn:

Will be had by no-one, remember!? Everything's simultaneous.

Night Fighting:

Is not in effect on the first turn, thankfully. I won't screw that up until turn 5...

Game Length:

Is 6-8 turns, unless things are clearly over before that.

Good Luck! This mission is more difficult than the last, and more likely to result in PC death. This is probably the hardest mission of the three. If you're taken out of action, you can take over any remaining NPC unit, except Acer. 'Cause then whom would I control? ;) If your character bites it, you get to start with something new

You guys have about 1650 points this mission, to your opponent's 1500. There will be some 3rd party gribblies in the way. There are varying degrees of success, so don't get bent out of shape if the mission results don't seem all that “good”. Any success is better than none, but if you have “great” success, you'll have a really easy time in the 3rd mission. Well, not “easy”, but easier.

Keep in mind, come what may, that the Ambrasians are dangerously low on supplies, particularly fuel and energy cells. If you don't secure the refinery, you'll suffer in the next mission. Regardless of the cost.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:07:57 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #16 on: January 7, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »
B1 area hidden in the forrest.  Shelly will emerge and rain death!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #17 on: January 7, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
Certainly. The North-East corner probably has the best LOS, would you like to deploy there?

Offline Halollet

« Reply #18 on: January 8, 2014, 12:15:19 AM »
Cassandra will outflank and try to get the side armour of one of their tanks, probably the Basilisk unless someone blows it up before hand.

Offline Trokair

« Reply #19 on: January 8, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »
[occ] On the cross of A1/B1/A2/B2 (between the forest and hill thing), so as to move towards objective B or C once the game starts.
And yes the Centaur is a bit like an opened toped chimera.
[/occ]

After a week on the road the sight of the refinery complex on the horizon lifted the morals of the Ambrasians. For Nor Erlok the sight brought no such uplifting emotions, just further calculation on fuel reserves and how much they might be able to gain from the refinery. While a little damage of the complex would not reduce the production output significantly Nor Erlok worried about what the result of pitched battle would have on a sacred mechanism of the refinery complex.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.