News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Raptors Army Commission WIP blog  (Read 10714 times)

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
Raptors Army Commission WIP blog
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »
Hey guys!

I am doing a raptors army for a client and figured I'd show my progress here for your viewing pleasure!

First off I am doing an Assault Squad with jump packs. I converted some of the guys to be jumping over jungle trees as the client wanted a jungle theme to his bases. Had to weight the crap out of the bases, but they won't fall over now.

The color scheme is nice I think for Marines, refreshing to see them in a militaryesque color. The client wants a high quality job so this is the high end of my squad level painting.

without further babbling...

Got the green and metallics so far and started on the packs and bit of skin:

All for now, more to come soon!

All in All I have a Shrikes Wing squad with LCs and Shrike (at the highest quality level!), a Chaplain, and an Apothecary plus a lot of vehicles to do. Working on a Dreadnaught now.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:12:28 AM by Nurgleboy77 »
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Ivellos

Re: Raptors Army Commission WIP blog
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:57:36 AM »
They look good.

I'm not much for he tree models but the marines are great.

What did you use to weigh down the bases so you could do that anyhow?

Offline Ivellos

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »
Nothing like what your doing... But my Tyranid Genestealers and Hormagaunts have a real problem staying up on their own unless I add a little weight to them. I was thinking about the washer idea but I didn't know what size to get and I just ended up filling then with Plumbers Puddy and covering it with glue. So far it seems to work but obviously if I ever do a conversion like yours there that wont cut it.

But once again. Nice job and I would love to see how it all turns out.

Offline Gerrie

• Peace through superior firepower.
    • Corvus' Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »
I agree with the color: this works really well on the marines.

The fact that they stand on the palm trees is a bit silly IMO, but if this is what the customer had in mind then you pulled it of quite nicely.

Offline DJBtod

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »
Nothing like what your doing... But my Tyranid Genestealers and Hormagaunts have a real problem staying up on their own unless I add a little weight to them.

Use a penny. Effective, and cheap! (get it? cheap?)

~dan

Offline Ivellos

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »

~dan

That would weigh them down. However the bases that are on all of the ones I use have the slots in them and don't have a space to put a penny or a nickel (which may not be quite as "cheap" but works even better for the 25mm bases). So its either get small balls of lead or something to really weigh it down or deal with some Plumbers Puddy with glue over top to weigh it down enough.

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »

~dan

That would weigh them down. However the bases that are on all of the ones I use have the slots in them and don't have a space to put a penny or a nickel (which may not be quite as "cheap" but works even better for the 25mm bases). So its either get small balls of lead or something to really weigh it down or deal with some Plumbers Puddy with glue over top to weigh it down enough.

My friend has the same problem with his bugs. He uses pennies cut in half so they fit around the slot. I'm not sure if he uses bolt-cutters, or some tool he found in his dad's garage, but it works very well. Hormogaunts stretching almost their whole body over the base stand up just fine, and you can even tap them on the head and they still won't fall forward!  :)

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »
They look well green ;)
is it a death nurgle angels raptor chapter?
Great job on the dreadnaought i like the skulls
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:00:55 PM by Jehan-Reznor »
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »
I threw my Raptors (not the Marine chapter, but the Chaos fast attack unit) on termy bases. Sure, they are a speck closer to enemy fire, and I can't lump a squad of 5 behind a fuel barrel, but they are really sturdy and always lock up tons of guys in CC.

It's just easier than attaching weights to tiny bases...

Oh, and good work dude, I like the shading on the power armour, very slick!

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 01:13:44 AM »
I just can't get over how nice the green blending is. I am also really getting into the hardline shading these days, I don't think I've even touched my drybrush in about 6 months!

Close up, a perfectly shaded model with various layers of inking and dry brushing looks spectacular, but the time involved isn't worth the effort for just a nice tabletop army. I've just found lately that a hardlined paint job just looks so awesome when you look at the whole army from a normal gaming perspective. You have pulled that off very nicely.

Just wondering if you ink your metals? It's the only crtitique I've been able to invoke. I'm thinking that by bring the shine down a bit with some earthy ink might really make them look sweet. There is a nice dark atmosphere going on with the jungle trees, I think darker metals will enhance this imagery.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:47:31 AM »
great job love the cables on the jumppacks
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 06:19:01 AM »
good job although not to your ussual standard which is a little dissapointing.

they look very good from a little distance and the extreme highlighting seems to work here but i think up close its a little messy

i like the colour scheme with the earthy tones and a slight drab/greyish colouring to the overall model

are you painting any other units for this guy or just the assault squad?

Offline Dooppie

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 07:17:31 AM »
I love the colour sheme of this army.
The green is very nicely done.
Every model have his unike detail and that makes it cool too  8)
Keep the good work coming.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 09:28:51 AM »
Excellent blog, I always like to see top quality stuff through various stages of completions.

I like the weathering on the dready a lot, the dark patches which start at the top of the panel and seem to wash down. How do you do that?

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
You've painted them brilliantly.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
Valar, I am painting his entire army. Once he saw the first squad pics he gradually sent me about everything he's got. Also, remember the pics are almost 4 times the size of the actual model, there are few painters whose models stand up to that level of scrutiny (and they get paid about $200+ a fig!).

ahh thats very true, im sure the highlights are much smoother to the eye, i have this trouble on some of my photographs too, sorry for the misjudgement

Offline cdtpullem

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »
I first contacted Nurgleboy about some commision work after having bid on his work on a couple of chaos marine squads on ebay. He had used a minimum of colors on these squads and still managed to make them look fantastic (black legion), and had also given attention to what a gamer would want by magnetizing the banners etc. That coupled with his interest in keeping me, the customer, happy won me over.

I knew I wanted him to work on my space marine army not only for his workmanship, but for the way he responded to my requests during the ebay process. During this time as I recieved pictures of his work and looked at the armies he's painted I've sent Nurgleboy more and more pieces to be painted and/or improved because there are few modelers/painters out there that are painters first and then hobbyists. I wanted his painting and style to be incorporated into my army because he seems to me, to be a painter first and also a hardcore hobbyist. He knows the principles of painting and then loves the hobby. I am the opposite, just a hobbyist with an eye for what I like. Not that I have to defend hiim, his work speaks for itself. Miniature painting is an under appreciated form of painting. It's something that combines entertainment with eye candy, some would argue most art is a little lacking in the entertainment department. But I don't have to preach to you folks.

As for this project I have given nurgleboy various requests inspired by the Taros campaign and Armageddon material on the Raptors space marine chapter found in some Gamesworkshop publications. I was the one who had asked him for the jungle detail reflecting the chapters having been trapped on a jungle death world and fighting in the jungles of Armageddon. I had asked for the detail and would like to draw your attention to the squad number on the assault squad's knee joints done in bone numerals, the misc. scriptwork, the sculpting of assault harness's and the dynamic posing. I am a fan of the highlighting that he has used and had asked for that sort of thing along with the glare effects on the dreadnought's lense pieces.

I have not been afraid to make very specific requests of him as an artist, and he has met and exceeded all of my demands and expectations, as an artist I think he remains flexible and able to undertake large projects like mine and still produce exciting results. The only thing I wish to see as of now is the glare effect in the eye's of the marines and some of the squad tidied up a bit. I am looking forward to nurgleboy's work on my Shrike conversion (and his squad) as I think it will be the centerpiece of my army. I also can't wait to see some of the vehicles because I REALLY went to town with requests for those models. He also has a squad of terminators heading his way, but after that I think the project will be done with and I will actually go play it and have it admired like it should be at my local hobbyshop. I think I've said what I wanted to say in this posting, my first, so thank you for looking at and critiquing my army painted by nurgleboy.   

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 02:33:47 PM »
OK, now yer making me blush...lol

I was wondering when you'd break down and get a screen name, CDT. Good to see you on here, thank you for the stellar endorsments.  I aim to please. Fell free to let you fellow gamers know where you got your new army you will be showing off!
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Myung

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 04:45:33 PM »
Nurgle,

Awesome job on that dreadnaught man!

Looks top notch.

The jump troopers look great as well.
9,000 pts Eldar - Alaitoc - 6,500 pts Blood Angels
8,000 pts Imperial Guard - 3,000 pts Tryanids
3,000 pts Sisters of Battle - 4,000 pts Orks
2,000 pts Chaos - 1 Massive Crack Addiction

Offline evilmonkey

• Guard 4 teh win
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »
Any info on the paints used and steps taken to get the effect?

Cheers