News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vespid crisis suit -update (painting begins)  (Read 19665 times)

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
Vespid crisis suit -update (painting begins)
« on: March 29, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
Howdy.  I've been thinking of a conversion idea for Vespid Stealth or Crisis suits.  Inspired for a couple of reasons:

if this is my tau army color scheme, I would like to have a stealth suit looking thing wholly in scarlet.  i don't think a regular stealth suit should be done up in that color scheme though as it would be too bright for a stealth suit IMO.

I really like the invid (look at the smaller two on our right...the scarlet one and the blue one with the shoulder mounted weapons) and have always wanted to do a 40k type thing that has that sort of feel.

I like converting things.

I like the element of the Tau that it is an ever expanding empire and as such has many auxiliaries.  I don't think it is too far fetched to have particularly heroic Vespid awarded specially modified crisis suits.

here is a quick crappy sketch of the concept:

couple notes and thoughts:

-redesigned face plate thing to accommodate for more eyes and slightly more alien feel.  will work on more concepts.

-extended groin area thing to accommodate for vestigial stinger

-large antennae things off the sides of the 'head.'  Though the vespids' real antennae would probably be inside the suit, these would function as extensions of the real antennae.  ( i think it is integral to making the things look vespidy)

-wings allowed breathing room?  I don't think the vespid would appreciate folding up their wings and encasing them inside the suit.  However, I don't think that the wings would be able to do much in lifting a heavy suit.  therefore I was thinking of just letting the hang out a bit and perhaps aide a bit in aerial maneuvering.

-or, perhaps a much larger, reinforced wing design is in order.

-slightly more curvey and organic-invidy design (not particular illustrated in the sketch)  perhaps more curvey shoulder pads.

-new hands and feet that are clawy and vespidy.

-counts as stealth suits.  would need to get some weapons in there somehow.  Was thinking of shoulder mounted weaponry.  in which case it would look more like the blue heavy invid thing.

-or they could count as crisis suits and go in the elite slot in a force org. 

-if they turn out cool, could open up a can of worms as I could try to modify larger crisis suits to accommodate the vespid.

thoughts?  Can it, should it, be done?

later WG

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:27:33 PM by Web Ghost »

Offline Aotarí

• Tecktonik!
Re: Vespid Stealth/Crisis suit idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »
Oh God those "crappy" sketch's are awsome! :o

On topic:

I think that it could be done, and if it fits your army theme SHOULD be done. They could sure "count as" Stealth suits or Crisis suits. The only problem I see is making them "feel" vespid. The weapons IMO should be shouldermounted or strapped under the wrist like Shadowsun *hint hint* I agree that the wings should be on the outside, maybe flat against the back on the armour or be somewhat lifted

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »
great idea, but its gonna be modelling the wings, but where is th fun if everything is easy.

really great sketch too, looks better than some GW R&D pics.

as for weapons maybe house the bulk behind the shoulder and have the crystal bit at a 90 degree angle over shoulder like the predator

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
Thanks Cilither.  I agree that they need to have a bit more of a vespidy feel.  I've done some more sketches with this aim in mind.  I like these better but the conversion work just quadrupled as i would be redesigning the legs and the arms and whatever else. Something more like this:

for weapons I am still not sure.  while drawing the pictures it gets awfully crowded in the shoulder areas.  the stealth suit has a large jump pack thing sticking out in the back.  plus if the wings are there your rapidly run out of room.  Though it may be easier to model than draw (in terms of space.)   Shoulder mounted weaponry would look cool.  Like the predator as you mentioned Darth Plagis.  Another idea i just thought of would to mount them under the arms.  almost as another set of arms.  making it look as though it four arms or six limbs.  very insectile looking.  maybe...

later WG

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »
I like, although I think its unfortunate that you can't arm the stealth suits with heavier weapons(to go along with the vespid thing).

Only thing I have against it, is that hte second sketch you posted makes it look unnaturally top heavy. It doesnt look like those bitty legs could hold the thing up.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 04:56:51 PM »
good point Chaos0xomega.  I had thought of that but I forgot to put it in the post.  The premise would be that since the vespid have wings, these would serve to help balance and stabilize the suits when landing and moving about and such.  this would allow for less bulky legs and lighter suits that are slightly more maneuverable.  It also helps give a purpose to having the wings be on the outside of the suit.

later WG

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 01:12:22 AM »
maybe incorporate a megaman/rockman style mega buster into one of the arms, as the padding looks sorta that way anyway, it would just mean elongating it a tad.

Offline gambitrah

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
For some reason they remind me of the Invid :)

Cool idea tho! I'd love to see an actual conversion.

Offline Triszin the Wrath God

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 11:17:17 AM »
well i like the idea, and  i know what in invid is :D "play robotech much?"
the second sketch is alot better but i would have to say to make it look like the legs can actualy hold up the armor or have you thought about shrinking the armor and kinda modeling it after a vespid insted of giving him plain old stealth armor?. have you ever thought of the idea of combining both the new stealth and the old stealth and mix in some vespid qualities.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:19:25 AM by Triszin the Wrath God »

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 06:41:06 PM »
Thanks for all the input and feed back folks.  I've run into some snags with the idea.  Mainly having having to do with the overall concept.  As is becoming quite clear, I'm after an Invid inspired more organic type crisis suit.  I was thinking sort of mech style.  bigger you know?  I put a vespid strain leader next to a crisis suit to see how the proportioned up.  Very well actually.  However, standing right next door was a plastic Imperial Fist Terminator and an obliterator terminator conversion I've been working on.  They both kind of dwarfed the vespid and the stealth suit.  The illusion of a mini mech type thing was kind of shattered.  they would be quite small.  not the sort of crisis suit sized things I had in mind.

Not that the conversion wouldn't be cool.   and I still will probably do it, but it doesn't sate the desire I have for a mechy invidy type thing.  I think I need to think about how to go about that a bit more.  it probably wouldn't rely on the Vespid but perhaps a different race in the Tau empire all together. 

I've always wanted that sort of organic crustaceous invid type thing and have thought of a variety of different ways to get it.  one of the more radical being:  what would happen if the tau were subsumed by the tyranids or vice versa :P.  I'm thinking that a new race might be in order to achieve what I want.  though making them would be a different story.

BTW.  Again, the Vespids' wings would help balance the suit and would accomodate for the thinner legs.  otherwise it looks just like a normal stealth suit IMO.

later WG

later WG

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
hey WebGhost,  your after an ivid type thing right?
well a freind of mine has molds for invid (shocktroops, either thisor invid warriors) in 40k scale.

also i did a quick sketch of a invid stealth and it came out quite good. i figured that the main issue with your concepts was top heavy armor of the new stealth units, i combined the old & new stealth with the vespid in this quick sketch, truthfully it looks extremely similar to a basic vespid but look at the armor, just leave the head alone i tried a couple of quick sketches and can't figure it out :(.
well thisis my idea, i hope it helps you a little, got bored at school and thought what the heck :D

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

kool man.  I had thought of that a bit too.  its such a waste to see those older crisis suits not used.  Do you have a scanner?  I can't really see the picture. 

hey WebGhost,  your after an ivid type thing right?
well a freind of mine has molds for invid (shocktroops, either thisor invid warriors) in 40k scale.
Wha??  does he cast them?  where did they come from?  did he make them?  whats going on?

later WG

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »
i have no idea where he got a hold of em, but he is going to caste an army this summer and probably run them as tau auxillary for non-tournament fun.
 a better pictureh. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 08:48:26 PM by Triszin the Wrath God »

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
well thanks man.  keep me posted on those molds will you if you find out more info.  thanks fior the better pic too.

later WG

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 08:42:58 PM »
some updates: 

different idea for larger more crisis and less stealth suit.  tyrant guard plus stealth suit plus this and that.  :

beginnings:

Vespid Neutron Cannon (counts as fusion blaster or plasma cannon depending on the pitch of the wings.)

Coming together.  Allot of the stuff with the weapon is not really attached yet.  the bottom half that attaches to the shoulder pads is barely glued on.  the whole thing can be flipped upside down.  haven't decided yet.  Oh yeah, and there is no crystal in there yet. 

arms and legs will most likely end up being thick wire and GS. 

BTW, there is thread about this in the Tau forums as well.  that one has more to do with rules and fluff.  this one should be about modelling. 

what do you think?

later WG

-edit

added legs and arms.  the arms are just tests for size and placement.  and a crystal out of sprue.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:11:33 PM by web ghost »

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 12:30:33 AM »
that looks..... Sick.
awsome man keep up the work.

Offline Aotarí

• Tecktonik!
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 07:09:32 AM »
They look terrifying... for a guardsman, "RUN!"

Anyway, I like the fact that it looks like some gene-altering project between bug and machine

Offline sojung

• For the Motherland!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 10:39:37 PM »
Damn, that thing remind me of Keith Thompson's (www.keiththompsonar t.com) sub-hunter artwork.

I'm not sure if he has it on his website, but I got one of his books, and ... woo wee it looks a lot like it. The thing with Keith is that he has a very organic/mechanical feel to it as well.

Your mini looks osome. I cannot wait for it to be finished.

sj

Offline Random Guardsman

• For The Angelus!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »
OMG Awesome! You are very talented!!
I have CDO, it's OCD but in alphabetical order the way it should be!

Offline The Orange

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 02:08:12 AM »
Looking good web ghost, keep working on it (cracks whip). 
You want' to try to integrate the armor into the the carapace?  Sort of like having the carapace grow over the armor?  It was a very interesting touch in the original concept art (wink wink).