News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Advice On Wielding Tyranids  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Advice On Wielding Tyranids
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
G'day forumites!
Have a 2800pt game tomorrow. Nids Vs Death Guard. Have only played my Nids once in 7th ed. Have a very vague idea for a plan of attack... but. Am not nieve enough to think I know what I'm doing.

This is the list that will be fielded. Paleeeeease, any advice would be appreciated.

NIDS

HQ

Winged Hive Tyrant
2 Twin devourers with brain leach worms
Adrenal glans
Prehensile pincer tail
Horror
Catalyst

Hive Tyrant
2 Monstrous bone swords
Bioplasmic cannon
Adrenal glans
Prehensile pincer tail
Catalyst
Onslaught

Broodlord
Monstrous rending claws

TROOP

6 Tyranid Warriors
6 Venom cannons
6 Bone swords/lash whip

6 Tyranid Warriors
6 Venom cannons
6 Rending claws

20 Gene Stealers
20 Rending claws

30 Termagants
30 devourers

30 Termagants
30 Devourers

30 Hormagaunts
30 Toxic sacs

ELITES

3 Zoanthropes
Catalyst

3 Venomthropes

The Red Terror
Prehensile pincer tail

FAST

5 Raveners
5 Rending claws

10 Gargoyles
10 Fleshborers

10 Gargoyles
10 Fleshborers

HEAVY

1 Carnifex
Heavy Venom Cannon
Monstrous crushing claws
Adrenal glans

Trygon Prime
Bioelectric pulse
massive scything talons
Prehensile pincer tail
Adrenal glans

Mawloc
Massive scything talons
Prehensile pincer tail
Adrenal glans

I know this list will be facing at least:

3 Sorcerers
3 units of 10 Plague Marines
3 Chaos Rhinos
2 Units of 20 Pox Walkers
3 Defilers
3 Foetid Bloat-Drones

ATTEMPTED TACTICS

- Gargoyles will screen the W Hive Tyrant
- Termagants will screen the 2nd Hive Tyrant
- Termagants will screen the Trygo Prime
- Hormagaunts will screen the Carnifex
- Both Tyranid Warrior units will screen the Zoanthropes
- Venomthropes will be screened by every other unit and will try and be within 6" of as many as
  possible.

With 2800 pts on the table I know Epic Greg will flood his half of the table to block any DEATH FROM BELOW appearances. This may play into the hands of the Mawloc, being able to deploy more than 1" from any enemy unit and attacking with 1D6 for every unit within 2".

Will be relying on the Mawloc and the Winged Hive Tyrant/Gargoyles to make a hole for the other DFB units to arrive, (Trygon/30 Termagants/The Red Terror/5 Raveners). The first hole will bring the Trygon/ 30 Termagants to bare. Don't expect the Termagants to last long, but 90 strength 4 shots before they go should clear the bubble wrap around his warlord.

Hoping the havoc the DFB and flying units cause will allow the ground critters to reach effective range relatively undamaged.

As already stated, will be grateful for any advice and a batrep will proceed the game to see how we went... Thank you! 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:48:07 PM by Saim-dann »

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Advice On Wielding Tyranids
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:59:02 PM »
Seeing as the Nid board seems kinda dead, I'll throw my two cents in.

I have not played a lot with all the nid models, but I know Death Guard like to get in close to trigger mortal wounds...

I don't know if you have the model, but if so, I'd definitely try and fit good ol' Swarmlord in. Letting 20 stealers move twice and assault is nasty fast. I like to throw catalyst on mine.

Malowc opening holes can be good, and the 180 shots from your devilgaunts should be able to clear any poxwalkers.

Can't really offer more than that.... sorry but my experience has been fairly limited with my bugs this edition
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:59:01 AM »
G'day Faitherun!
Thank you so much for that. Have decided to use the grounded Hive Tyrant as a Swarm Lord. It Actually brings the points up to 3000Pts. Tomorrow will tell whether I wield it properly.

Just one thing, mate. What did you mean by Death Guard triggering mortal wounds? Thanks again. Keep a lookout for the batrep. 

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
DeathGuard have a number of abilities, mainly centered around typhus and mortarion, that things in close combat with them, or with a DG unit within 7" of them, take mortal wounds on a 4+. As such, any protracted close combats tend to get costly for the enemy. Especially when you factor in disgustingly resilient....

As for me, all my games with nids in 8th (I've gotten about 6 in now) have been Turn 1, run stealers 30+ inches across the board to slam into target(s). Turn 2, run the remainder of the unit, typically 15 or so stelaers 30+ inches to other side of board to wipe other half of the army. Shake opponent's hand as they concede.

In a larger game, a single unit of 20 wont be as devastating, but the definitely will be still.

If you can, I'd try and slam that unit of stealers full strength into Typhus or mortarion first turn. Eliminate them and a good bit of the synergy of the army goes away. And don't be afraid to chuck them at vehicles. 80 attacks is nothing to sneeze at. Swarmlord is a beat stick in CC too. Had him charge by a nemesis dreadknight grand master last night - weathered the shooting and the charge, swung back and one popped the over sized marine.

I'll be interested to see how your flying tyrant does - not 100% on winged gun tyrants this edition... but then my Flyrant has made it to CC exactly once so far.

Also, avoid CC with the plauge walkers if you didn't already know that... mortal wounds plus they get to bring back models for ones they kill of yours makes for a rough fight. Shoot them up.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »
Having watched all the SS82 Tyranid bat-reps (and I'm in the middle of a monster 6,000pts Apocalypse one) I think you NAILED it bud. The list, the plan are exactly what I would do. Exactly what I wish I could do if I had a Tyranid army which I want really bad.

I LOVE the list and I love the plan my man. I wouldn't change a thing. You got hordes, monsters, speed, toughness and psychic support. Like I said I wouldn't change a thing.

Just make sure you keep us posted on what goes down! Good luck brother!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Can the whole unit of Tyranids warriors take venom cannons? I thought it was a limited weapon.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:06 PM »
G'day Faitherun!
Thanks for the heads up on the mortal wounds/Plague Walkers/Characters, mate. Am so keen to see how the Gene Stealers go now as well. How did your game go last night? Hope you had a win.

As for the Flyrant, till I learn how to wield him properly, he's only there to form a hole in the enemy ranks and draw fire from the grounded units trying to get into range. Thanks again for all your help, Faitherun... Be well!

Hey Cavalier!
Haven't the opportunity to see any of the 8th ed SS82 yet. Most of the monstrous creatures The Nids currently have were inspired from his list in 7th and only had the chance to field them once.

Am doing wrist and finger exercises for the heavy typing tonight for the batrep. Thanks for the support... Pointy ears forever!!

Hi Killersquid!
Thanks for that. Your right. Guess I read the index with the wishful thinking goggles on. 1 Hvy Venom Cannon- 2 Venom Cannons- 3 Death Spitters is now on the list. Thank you so much, mate... Be well!

Everybody: 2 hrs to go for the first role off. Claws and talons crossed!