News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: UK Goes With Huawei For 5G  (Read 579 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
UK Goes With Huawei For 5G
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
It was just confirmed this morning.  So what I would like to know is...are the security fears unfounded or have they beslubbered up big time on this?  :P

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: UK Goes With Huawei For 5G
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
I really don't understand all the fuss to be honest Calamity. That is not to say the security fears are unfounded it is just that I don't fully understand the problem.

Huawei's hardware/software will not be used in the 'sensitive' core of the 5G infrastructure and it will not be allowed near nuclear or military sites. On top of that the radio equipment of a 5G supplier can't contain more than 35% of Huawei components.

Overall what worries me is that the overriding message that I get from all of this rhetoric is that everyone else thinks that Huawei is too technologically savvy for us to stop them spying, or for anyone to spot if they are spying on us.

I very much doubt that highly sensitive material is transmitted in a manner that isn't highly encrypted.

Don't Google, Facebook and the like already 'spy' on us? Hasn't Russia been spying on us for years? Hell wasn't the Investigatory Powers Act introduced three years ago a licence for our own Government to spy on us?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: UK Goes With Huawei For 5G
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »
its a trust thing. Google and Facebook are fairly open as to what information they collect and use, they comply with the law.

Huawei was willing to break the law to gain information, given how closely they are in bed with a more manipulative government than our own (and thats saying something lol). So its a trust thing.