News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Holiday Ork Warband Formation Contest List Entry  (Read 2014 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Holiday Ork Warband Formation Contest List Entry
« on: December 9, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
Well no clever title here, so I'll just get down to the meat of it.

The concept of the list is to take full advantage of the command benefits of the formation; Stampede and The Greenskin Hordes, specifically. Using the principle of a green tide army, the boyz run every turn and attempt to get into close combat as quickly and as often by using the Waaagh! ability provided by Stampede. By moving, running, and charging with rerolls from 'ere we go, most boyz mobs will have a very effective assault threat per turn.

The boyz carry no heavy weapons, as they plan to run each and every turn and then use the nobz PK to do the heavy hitting.

The trukks will run as warbuggies would normally. Although they are 5 more points each than a buggy, you get an extra hull point and as the boyz mobs whittle down from fighting, they can be used to transport them across the battle field once the units lose enough boyz. The grotz will start in one of the spare trukks and use it to claim objectives.

The mek and warboss goes with the nobz in the battlewagon. They are there to draw as much firepower from the enemy as possible, the mek fixing what he can. The real threat is the over a hundred boyz and their nobz, but the enemy will most likely focus on the battle wagon.

Warboss w/ Headwoppa's Killchoppa (80)
Mek w/ killsaw (45)

Nobz x 10 w/ x10 BC (230)
Battle wagon as dedicated transport (110)

Boyz Mob 19 Boyz + Nob w/ PK (155)
Boyz Mob 19 Boyz + Nob w/ BC (135)

Trukks x 4 w/ rokkits, one with a wreckin' ball
(from dedicated transport picks) (130)

Grotz x 10 + runtherd (35)

Comments welcome!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Holiday Ork Warband Formation Contest List Entry
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
I like the tactical theory here. I've done this with my Khorne Daemons for years--nobody shoots at the 64 bloodletters until it's too late.

One suggestion: you don't have enough fast diversions. I'd probably suggest dumping one mob (if the formation allows) and taking something else to draw fire. One Battlewagon isn't that hard to kill, and if it goes, the green tide is in for it.

That said, horde armies are such a relative rarity these days, anyway, that bucking the meta can pay off even as-is.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
There is a ton I would add if possible, but the contest only allowed the single formation and it's very restrictive. I've taken the exact units that it requires. I could trim some points and replace the nobz with Manz that way the unit would still draw fire after the battlewagon goes and maintains survivability. I was hoping the rokkit trucks would create some diversion as well. Too bad there's only troop units in this formation, I could definitely use another battlewagon or some koptas.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »
I know I wouldn't bother shooting at Rokkit Trukks.

Yeah, the formation is limiting, that's for sure. As I said, though, it *might* still work. You could really use some Koptas or Bikes or another wagonload of nobz or some such. Ah well.   

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:39:51 PM »
I like the concept of the Green Tide...it's reminiscent of the old Green Tide formation in the older Apoc rulebook.  Personally, I wouldn't sell your boyz short by not having heavy weapons with the mobs.  You never know when a rokkit launcha or big shoota may come in handy.

My two teef...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »
I usually play similar tide lists and I always find I never use the big guns in boyz units because I'm always running them. I could drop a few things here or there to the points for a few guns, but I don't think anything I trimmed would be worth gaining those few shots I may get off. If you were to take some, would you take rokkits or big shootas with what is already in the list?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »
If you take anything, I'd argue for Rokkits. Those actually can hurt stuff your choppas and sluggas can't, whereas the Big Shootas will just be used against targets you'd be better off krumping.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
Though rokkits give you a definite advantage over light armor, I usually tend to believe throwing 3 shots don range from a big shoota usually can tip the balance in a slug fest.  Personal opinion...

Still like your original list!

OEN
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
Wow, I am just blown away.  You found a really cool loophole in the ork codex. Silly me, I was under the impression that the boys unit had to be 12 or less to take a truck, and re-re-rereading the new codex there is no such restriction. Why did I never notice this before? Must be stuck in an older codex or something... :-[

A great list, I was about to post my list, but after reading your list and seeing trucks I am more distracted than seeing shiney things, and so I must now go back to my list and rewrite it.

One suggestion; instead of a mek, take a pain boy. Put him in with the nobs to make a unit that is really hard to kill off. Used to be that a nob could be upgraded to a pain boy, and it was standard practice to do so. Now that the pain boy is a character you have to add him in. The good news is that you have ten killy nobs, instead of nine, with the pain boy that really does make the unit last a long time.

As for your heavy weapon choice, I suggest maybe taking a rockit launcha per squad. Having a guaranteed hit in the event of tank shock is a good thing. Then, if the offending vehicle is not destroyed/disabled then only a boy dies and not the nob.

A good list all around, and I am insanely jealous that I didn't see the DT loophole before.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »
After playing eldar for a few years I got used to taking wave serpents as gunships for dedicated transports for guardians squads that were too big to ever fit. I thought why couldn't orks do the same as those pointy ears. I actually got into the habit of taking 30 boyz in a mob and giving the trunk to a unit if grits, since you suggested a few months ago when I posted another list and they've been a riot.

I would love to take a pain boy, but sadly the formation requires a mandatory mek and no option for an additional hq choice.  :(

I'll look to see if I can fit a few rockets in fir the death or glory, as I don't think I'll be firing them much, running most of the time.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
I would love to take a pain boy, but sadly the formation requires a mandatory mek and no option for an additional hq choice.  :(

After I logged off and started rewriting my list I looked and the formation in the book and had a head slap moment... So, just ignore the pain boy suggestion... :-X

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak