News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Kan-a-palooza - Ork List Competition Entry  (Read 2221 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Kan-a-palooza - Ork List Competition Entry
« on: November 3, 2015, 11:37:06 PM »
Coming up with a solid force at this points level is tough. You really have to commit to a strategy and stick with it, as you simply have no room to add any safety units. Well, I decided to go big and stayed true to my roots, but this time I've brought a 'naut to the table. The Morkanaut uses his extended range KFF to keep the kan wall alive and protect the trailing dreads. The kans provide excellent cover for the 'naut. Both big meks sit inside the 'naut and repair any stripped hull points and the whole army of klanking monstrosities march up the field laying waste to all they see. And grots, well lets just say they sit tight and go to ground as often as necessary. I usually would take a more balanced list full of orks, koptas, and mek gunz, but at this point level, throwing a little of this and a little of that would just get you creamed by the opponent. Go big or go home I always say.  ;D

CAD 1 [730]
Big Mek - Da Fixer Upperz (50)

Grots x 10 with Runtherd (35)

Killa Kans - Grotzookas x 3 (165)
Killa Kans - Grotzookas x 3 (165)
Morkanaut - KFF (280)

CAD 2 [270]
Big Mek (35)

Deff Dread (80)
Deff Dread - Skorcha (85)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Kan-a-palooza - Ork List Competition Entry
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
Wow, nine klanking killies klunking across the field into the enemy. Looks good and krumpy.

As for the sheer amount of grots, there is just too much fun there.

Looks like a great list, I would hate to have to face it.

Since I am a speed freak player, I cant really say if I think it will work or not. At any rate it looks like fun.

My two teef.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »
DoW:  What a great list!  One can never have enough clankers!  Very clever!

my two teef!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Sounds like a fun list DoW, a lot of players at the 1000 point level have difficulty with AT to begin with, and this list is sure to cause some head aches!

A thing to consider is if your having trouble with the Kan's Cowardly Grot rule, would be to group them into a large mob, one of the few major highlights is of course the 6 Pack of Kans (which previously the big Dread Eads could at best do units of 5 with IA8!)  The downside to this of course is less division in deployment, and naturally the loss of variable targeting, but if you (or anyone giving this army a go) is having trouble with those rolls its not a bad work around to consider.  (BRB states that you round up when calculating how many casualties for testing, meaning you'd have to loose 2 Kans in a 6 team in one phase, not an impossibility, but much harder then taking out a single Kan in a phase)

Peace
~OD

Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback OD, always good to hear from an ork player as experienced as yourself. I've tried using a larger unit of Kansas instead of two, but I usually find the ability to target two separate units trumps the fear of cowardly grots. I've actually only ever experienced it once and it really didn't set me back too much. Having a dread close by also helps avoid a bad roll and with the naut in play, he's going to be a big bullet magnet. Will definitely be considering larger units in larger points games though  :D

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »
I usually find the ability to target two separate units trumps the fear of cowardly grots. I've actually only ever experienced it once and it really didn't set me back too much.
I'd call your kans lucky then, almost every time I've tried my hand at deploying them with the new codex they've succumbed to Cowardly Grots, usually right when I need them to Assault.  That fact combined with their point increase in certain varieties is why I've personally given up the Kan... mostly.  Its one of those headaches with this codex, which I feel you have to battle just as much if not more then your opponent.

Thanks for the feedback OD, always good to hear from an ork player as experienced as yourself.
Your welcome and thank you for the high praise.  In truth, I think Skeetergod has me thoroughly beat when it comes to success with this new codex.  For the most part with the Orks my own experience is like a double edged sword, I keep expecting things to work like they did with our 4th or at times 3rd Ed codex and then get painfully reminded that we don't get Fearless or Mob Up rules anymore, either of which would alleviate my main problem of constantly killing my own guys on the table (which truthfully if I didn't care about that, I'd have been playing Chaos for crying out loud).

I am interested in hearing about how your experience with this list plays out though, especially when it comes to the naught, at the moment he's still the only finished scratchbuilt Konversion I've made that hasn't seen a game table. (although that probably goes more towards how I generally choose another unit of boyz over a demi superheavy)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard