News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dark Eldar Rumor Discussion  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Dark Eldar Rumor Discussion
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
So, gents, what do we think of the new DE rumors? (if you haven't seen them, then to Google with you!)

Like a lot of people have been saying, it seems like a lateral move. The new Night Shields sound awesome, but not if you're going to use your Raiders as gun platforms. The special FOC sounds interesting, and the new Power From Pain rules look fun, though what game against Dark Eldar goes 6 turns is beyond me.

Anyway, what do we think? Is it doom and gloom, or does this cloud have a silver lining?

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: Dark Eldar Rumor Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
I'm sort of apprehensive about the upcoming release, but I actually like some of what I've heard so far.  We have a good chance of losing a bunch of special characters, and they will certainly be missed.  Similarly, I imagine a lot of our arcane wargear will bite the dust for the sake of the "streamlined" style they've been doing.  The rumored talos-titan is sort of meh. I expect a cool-looking model that will make little sense alongside faster dark kin units. The price will probably prevent me from buying it, but it will probably go well with webway portal shenanigans.

The power from pain shenanigans sound like they could be fun, and I'm relieved to hear that something like it will still be a big part of the army.  Same with combat drugs (I feared they'd vanish). The rumored cronos power to improve feel no pain sounds snazzy, and I'll be happy I stuck it out with them if they get it. 

Rumors of having a supplement for wyches and covens gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, I like new content, and it will be nice to see them fleshed out more.  On the other hand, I'll hate feeling compelled to pay $40 for a handful of content. I've mostly remained untempted by the splats until this point.  Also, it would have been nice to see expanded scourge, mandrake, or harlequin content instead. Alas, perhaps another day.

Vect as a LoW is going to be a pet peeve for me.  Drazhar made more sense in that slot since Vect actually supports your army asa whole while Drazhar is our mute killing machine. It just feels a bit lazy.  "Hey, Vect's in charge right? Okay. I guess that makes him a Lord of War then." Silly, but there we have it.

Cheaper incubi models will be nice as I keep wanting to run an incubus shrine army.

Rumored changes to blade vanes (making them a boost to hammer of wrath rather than a vector-strike-type-thing) will be weird.  I guess it doesn't really hurt the unit (you can still jink and not care), but you're exposing yourself to retaliation from the enemy in melee, even if the bikers end up with hit and run. It switches the unit from a harassment role to a melee mop-up unit like shining spears.

Torment grenade launchers as a leadership targeting shooty thing sounds neat. Probably not worth the points unless they're also pinning (and maybe not even then), but it would combine in interesting ways with our leadership-modifying gear.

Offline Sarenyon

« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2014, 10:03:18 AM »
Check out the various rumor sites. Q+A with people that have the codex. No Vect. None at all. All specials characters without models gone. Wyches got the nerf, other changes as well. Looks like mandrakes can be playable now, scourges may be the new must have unit for AT. Interesting stuff.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
The Voidraven is sounding like a heavy hitter now, but you also pay through the nose for a fragile flyer (same AV as a Razorwing). The loss of Flickerfield and the nerf to Splinter Cannons makes Raiders less effective gunboats.

I like that you can now buy the Succubus the Relic armor, which makes her actually somewhat usable.

Grenades became hard to get, from what they say. I would assume Wyches keep them, but nobody else it seems.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
Wyches have plasma grenades no haywire anymore. Characters still get them. There is a formation that can be taken with 6 fast attack choices and now razorwings are FA. Talos and chronos can be take in squads of 1-3. I believe that scourges will be the go to heavy weapons squad. Ravagers don't have ariel assault anymore. Lots of point reductions thru out but some were uped. All in all looks like the army Is still gonna be played very tactful. A few new weapons, nothing to get real excited about. Lots of pretty pictures. Streamlined HQ's, grr! Most wargear got changed or dropped but the regular stuff stayed.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2014, 09:48:13 PM »
The Voidraven is sounding like a heavy hitter now, but you also pay through the nose for a fragile flyer (same AV as a Razorwing). The loss of Flickerfield and the nerf to Splinter Cannons makes Raiders less effective gunboats.

I like that you can now buy the Succubus the Relic armor, which makes her actually somewhat usable.

Grenades became hard to get, from what they say. I would assume Wyches keep them, but nobody else it seems.

To be fair, grots, incubi, and harlies (without a shadowseer) didn't really have grenades anyway, so that seems pretty standard for us.

The changes to night shields are too bad since they could really help you against certain weapons (meltas).  I actually like what night shields do now, but it might have worked better if they'd changed flicker fields to grant the new night shield rules.  Flickers were just a little redundant with the new jink rules, but the new night shields actually work well with jinking.

The changes to scourges are nice! Why does GW keep buffing my space elf jump infantry so much? Ah well. I suppose I shouldn't complain there.

What I'm hearing about changes to PFP irk me.  In practice, it probably won't make a huge difference based on how I play my dark kin (hang back for a turn or two to soften them up andd pull them out of position before getting in close), but it's frustrating to have to wait until turn 3 just to break even with our current PFP rules. Is anyone else expecting to do a lot of kiting and turn 5 assaulting with the new rules?

I'm told the webway portal allows deepstrike shenanigans for any squads that have them. I'm pretty okay with this provided they're easy to hand out to multiple squads. Paying almost 100 points for a naked haemonculus with a portal per squad makes them potentially unappealing. If each sybarite/hekatrix/whatever squad leader can take them however, I foresee much deepstriking in my future!

I'm apprehensive about the new book. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, but I'm a little unsettled by what I've heard.   

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
The rumors state that only ICs (Succubus/Archon/Haemie) can get the WWP, so no dice there.

Ravagers losing Aerial Assault? Hmmm...I feel like DE shooting is taking a bit smack in the face. Granted, Ravagers are still useable, but a loss of 1/3 their firepower when moving quickly is tough.

I'm thinking that Wyches are looking better these days. Night Shields on Raiders stand reasonable odds to get them where they're going. No haywires is rough, but I guess that's why we take Scourges.

Also: Reavers w/Grav Talons have become very, very nasty tank-hunters. Jink doesn't hurt assault, and the kind of rear-armor hits a squad of Reavers can get now is pretty amazing.

On the whole, I'm thinking the army is getting more hitty than shooty. I mean, you'll still want shooting units, but blocks of Kabalites in Raiders have lost some of their appeal.