News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WotW Event: Summer Scrapyard  (Read 7966 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
Re: WotW Event: Summer Scrapyard
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
@OD - the FW Big Trakk measures 6" long, 3.25" wide and 2.25" high (to the top of the cab).

Some progress! I actually painted this guy before I went on holiday but forgot to put up pics.

First model I've painted in a while that was actually *fun* to paint. More to come soon!  :)
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
Well then, I am off to a slow start, but, I am started.

First the main box body

Here you see I added a ram to the front and a "belly" flamebelcha

Then, WiP pic of the CCWs

The body before arms

Left Arm and Right Arm

The Back end, with a few fuel canisters for the head Flamebelcha

The front with arms in sockets. I will leave them removable so that they can be battle damage.

Now for some more random plates, gears, glyphs, and some work with the rotary tool to make various damage marks. If I can find where I put those used guitar strings I will add some cabling to the arms. After all that, a bit of painting to do. I think I am  on target to get it done by the end of the month  8)

Of course I haven't got around to buying the new Apoc book yet, so I hope the rules for stompas remain about the same, otherwise this model will have to just go into a box until I can buy a glass display case for it....  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
Damn...  I had a great post that got lost in cyberspace and connectivity issues!  Anyhow, the rocker is awesome, true inspirational...  Perhaps the "coolest" model I have ever seen...

The walker is huge...  I like the positioning of the arms...  It has an awkward mekboy feel!...  How tall is it...  It must be pretty big! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
Some progress on the BW:

It definitely won't be a conventional build although I'm going to use the basic chassis. At the moment I'm leaning towards using the 'ard case top as a base for a raised stage made of plasticard and supported by sprue, so that I can swap it to be a normal BW too.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
Cheesy the painting on that rocker is astounding!  Truly inspirational, and you wouldn't believe the bevy of expletives that exploded from my mouth in sheer amazement of how awesome your paintjob on him is.  And thanks for the dimensions, I will be putting them to good use!  The wagon is also coming along nicely.

Skeetergod you've got the start of an awesome Stompa there.  Heck your practically finished already, but I know you'll be adding in a lot of good stuff.  You're right on target I think!  I also must mention that at a brief glance it is possible to mistake the scale of this Stompa for something much smaller, so everyone make sure to take a good look at Skeetergod's pics, this bot ain't runty at all, it looks to be pretty Ded Ard to me!

Progress Update...
Well we all suffer setbacks, and unfortunately that includes me.  My trusty rotary tool took a tumble in one of the minor jolts known as aftershocks, and the spinny blade has broken.  To make matters worse the local train shop (and only hobby shop within 30 miles that carries rotary tools) is closed until Tuesday, meaning that I am gonna be loosing a lot of days on the Big Trakk building, especially when cutting via rotary each pipe cut is @ 15-20 minuites verses over a little over an hour of work with a hacksaw (and I have at least 6 wheel segments per side of each Big Trakk that need to be cut!).  I have no idea how I'm going to get the first Trakk done now, let alone 2, but I'm not going to be throwing in the towel just yet.  Nevertheless this might just learn me to be a bit more sane on Junkyard pledges.

Else-wise things are moving along, although at the moment I am lacking time to take and post pics.  I have built up 2 additional SAG Spiders, bringing myself to halfway on that aspect of the project (although one needs a base, and all 3 need work on the kustom scratchbuilt SAGs).  I also have been lucky enough to find 3 Tau Drones for the SAG konversions, but 3 is a farcry from the 6 I want/need, and even with their new codex I haven't seen a Tau player in... well a couple years, I see Sisters of Battle more often then Tau.

Tomorrow I'm going to go on a greenstuff gapfilling frenzy, to sure up the Boyz, Warboss, and Kopta and get them completely ready for painting.  With only 12 days left, time is getting short on this Junkyard event, and it's about time to really start hammering it all out.

Peace
~OD

Post Script:  I almost forgot to mention this (actually I've been forgetting for the past week).  In all the previous Junkyard type events, no one before as done Koptas (I know weird right?), so I want to pose this question to you all.  The typical (always existed rule for these events) rule on basing is very strict, namely due to the vast majority of tourneys that mandate basing, but Flying stands are slightly different, as I have never in person seen one that was painted in any way shape or form.  So we now at this moment can make Junkyard Precedence.  Should Flying stands be allowed to be clear, or must they too be painted and detailed?  I'll abstain from voting on that, as both the person bringing it to the forum, and the modeler in question.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:53:27 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »
More BW progress. It's going to be fully konvertible so I can use it as a normal BW - having lots of spare BW parts from my Lifta Droppa doesn't hurt.

At the moment it looks like this in normal BW mode: (sorry for crappy phone pics)

And breaks down into changeable parts like so:

The side-mounted rokkits are all magnetised and can be swapped for big shootas which aren't in the pictures. The Grot turret on the 'ard case top has a telescope instead of a gun (spotta grot) and the glyph pole next to the kommanda is a cocktail stick/toothpick covered in bitz. I'm probably not going to have time to get out and buy plasticard (although I may later in the week) so at the moment the Rok Wagon mode is going to involve the back of the BW being basically as it is normally with the side parts, and a kustom turret on the front for the sound-engineer-Grot  ;D

Still not sure how to make speakers. Lights are probably just going to be sections of tube with cardboard circles on the ends, and the whole lighting rig is going to be suspended on a frame made of sprue, probably.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Cheesy...  That is awesome!  What I liek best about is the playability of the model.  With the puny range of the kill kannon, I was always put out that we put on the back of the model...  You are loosing like 4 inches just on the positioning...  With your build, you have the kannon right up front to maximize it's reach!  If SM can put their turrent on the front of their land raider, we should too! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Very nice work guys..  Thanks just the motivation i need to get my Meks butt working on stuff agian.  Agian very nice work to all

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
Well so far Ive finished everything that I said I needed to get done, which is great.  And with only a few days left of the month I don't think that i'll be adding much if anything extra.  But don't just take my word for it, here are the pics.

This is where the month started for me, 3 base-coated Killa Kanz and a bag full of resin flavoured goodness from Forgeworld.

And this is what it all looked like today with the addition of Buzzgob the proud Bigmek who all this belongs to.

Hope you all approve

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
V that is some seriously good work, am envious of your weathering!

The Rok Wagon in Rok mode is built!

Ingredients: balsa wood for the speakers, plastic tube for the lights, plastic truss for the frame along with bits of sprue to bolster it. You might notice that the Rok Wagon is fully crewed in this picture - four Rokkers in the back, and the sound Grot in the front turret   :D

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 01:54:34 AM »
Very nice work guys..  Thanks just the motivation i need to get my Meks butt working on stuff agian.  Agian very nice work to all
Thanks for the words of encouragement typhon, we're all here to help each other out, and I for one am glad that this thread is inspiring your inner Mek.  I'll be throwing a couple teef your way, just as a kind thanks and also in hopes that next time you'll be joining in on the Scrapyard madness.

*looks at Cheesy's post, Long Whistle* Wow that Rocker Wagon really does the gubbinz!  Great work Cheesy!  I know I'd like to see some more pics of this beauty, and I'm sure that others will agree on that as well, but I have the feeling your holding out on some of the finer detail pics until after that bad boy is expertly painted.

And everybody be sure to give Valar a hand for finishing every one of his pledges!  Better paint work than my best, and not too shabby of konverzions either, I rather like the poor Grot that's about to get squished underfoot!

Projekt Update

GAH!!!  1 Week Left and I don't have any Paint on stuff!!!  I'ze need to find a way to double time it between pick up rehearsals, work, and painting the room that is about to start being rented with people moving in on Saturday!!!  Mork and Gork Help ME!

Ok, spazz out is over, I'll find a way to do it, I have to I'm a Boss, and I'm not that far behind.  I've got some WIP stuff for you all to take a gander at, so lets start with the SAG Spiderz...

Here's 3 of them, each approx 65-70% complete.  The one on the far right is the prototype one in case anyone was wondering.  They're coming along, but the next two are a bit more impressive.

This SAG utilizes a classic Ork Maxium of more = better, at least in terms of Spinny bitz.  It's not bad, but he still needs quite a few gubbinz (although not as much as the other 3

And here's the 5th SAG, the most complete at the moment, and only one so far with some wirework.  I'm rather glad to have found a large bundle of old wire while cleaning the house, and I must admit I can't believe I never thought of twining a couple wires together before, it makes the wires detail look even more effective than ever before.
What good would I be without a group shot though?

But that's not all that I've been working on.  I've been putting in more than a few hours on the big scratchbuilds of this challenge, the Big Trakks, and I recently figured out how to allieviate a bit of my lack of GW gray problem

Here you can see my new 'turret', a Big Shoota Boy with a modified base that can fit on any of my newfangled rotating turrets, as well as stand alone on the tabletop.  With 2 of these guys on a Big Trakk, I can switch them into the Spanna Squad to have a proper 20 squad of Shootas for the standard Dex.

I also thought it'd be nice to see where I'm at in the builds with the two Big Trakks.

As you can see, there's still quite a lot of work to be done overall.  I still need 1 SAG spider, finish/build all their SAGs as well as Cybork detailing and kustomized Basing, add the Trakks to the vehicles as well as their weapon systems + trim the side platforms down to fit the proper scale, and paint the whole lot including the Kopta, Warboss, Meks and Spanna Squad.  It's not like I needed sleep anyway (although a few extra hours of sunlight would be awfully nice)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
@OD I could say the same, I am constantly impressed by your work - love the spiderMeks!

*sings*  Spider-Mek, Spider-Mek, does whatever a Spider-Mek does...

Second Rokker is done:

You can tell it's an old model because the squig looks like a monkey-lizard instead of a Pac-Man Of Death(tm). I got the BW sprayed yesterday so I've been blocking in colours, not really much to show at the moment though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:07:27 PM by CheesyRobMan »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »
@OD I could say the same, I am constantly impressed by your work - love the spiderMeks!

Thanks Cheesy... Now that song is stuck in my head.  ::)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 05:34:24 AM »

Thanks Cheesy... Now that song is stuck in my head.  ::)

yeah, thanks Cheesy.  Because of you I also had that song stuck in my head.... all night while I was trying to sleep!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
Ok...this is the third time I've tried to post this...I might as well convert to 2 tin cans w/string and a carrier pigeon with polariods and sticky notes...I'm done trying to explain what I've done.

1/2 track model:  1/35 scale, skill level 1; complete with screws to hold the body halves together.  It came with a quad .50 cal:  now it's the platform for my flak trak.

the other vehicle came assembled for use as a toy.  I pulled out the 25mm cannon and will add appropriate plates, damage, and scorcha, it's going to be my junka.

I am going to post more pictures obviously by Wednesday.  I must say that I am very impressed and envious of all of your collective skills.  My hat's off to all!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »
OK so apparently I've been causing trouble here...    sorry for the song  :-\

But I have been painting!

Hoping to have the BW in BW-mode painted by this evening. Maybe.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
I am done. Of course, that means there will be more added to it later, but for now it is table ready.

Up first, a size comparison with a stompa I got right after AOD mowed down my fire brigade. I know, its not painted, another of those "someday" projects.

Now, here is the front.

And the back

Right side tracks showing the mud I stipled on. I left the damage from where I ripped off the metal weapons that used to be on  it.

Left side

The ram, with tribute to Mork who likes rust (or is it Gork) and mud on the bottom of the ram for the other one.

The "belly" Flamebelcha

The chest plate and more rust

And last but not least, the head with flamebelcha

I think this one is a good and propa KoS stompa. Not to mention that those chaos posers with demon machines will shake in fear when this gets put on the table. As soon as I get the new Apoc book I will see if adding a force field is still an option. Otherwise I will have to run it as an IA8 model.

DOH!! Had to fix the links...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:14:18 AM by SKEETERGOD »

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »
OK so apparently I've been causing trouble here...    sorry for the song  :-\
Thanks for taking the fall on that one Cheesy, I was slightly afraid I'd be blamed for that one.  Great work by the way, can't wait to see her finished.

And everyone give Skeetergod a hand for finishing his projekt!  That's a mighty fine konverzion and I think it's a shame that you can't red paint job a Stompa (wait maybe you can, I don't know anymore it's been a long couple days!)

Oh and lets all wish Ork E Nuff some luck, there's little time left and all of us that are unfinished could use some!

So as for my own projekt update...
Well I got hit with a massive delay due to what was a slight unknown hiccup in the real world, the need to repaint and recarpet the room that I'm renting out,

(By the way done, anyone want to be nice and think I should earn some teef for that?  I know I know it doesn't count, but that was a lot of painting!)

Interestingly enough I got a phone call from my Chaos Skumgrod who has now put a financial bet on if I'm gonna finish all this, so now I'm on the hook 20 bucks.  He also mentioned that my "days of air superiority are over," of course he wouldn't go into details, but I'm thinking he's bought some Helldrakes, not to be outdone though, I thought changing up the Big Trakks with some Flakka would be a smart choice, this is where they're at now...

The Spidermeks are... well coming along, not as finished as I'd like them to be, especially with about 2 days left!
The Boyz, Warboss, Mekboyz, and KoptaJetbike are pip at the moment

Pics will come, and I don't know how, but with Mork and Gork on my side I WILL FINISH, I have to, I'm not loosing any amount of money because I can't finish something!

Peace
~OD

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
OD....thanks for the vote of confidence...I can only hope...like you, life sucker punched me with illness, visits to my wife's oncologist, and work that dumped right in the middle of my case loads.

Anyway, I'll load more pics either today or tomorrow...If I don't succeed in finishing, it's me own fault for taking a big bite and not chewing properly...Everyone:  great lookin' models/projects...OD:  I can hardly wait for the finished spidery dudes...creepy, yet appropriate on a SyFy network level...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
Well despite taking a 10 day vacation to the mountains I did quite a bit of painting.   It is unfortuneate that I left the dakka jet for last because I have too many cool ideas for it and not enough time to do it justice so it will not make its way through the painting table.

I based my tankbustas, squigs and burna boyz and just have a little bit of detail painting left to finish up them.   Will post pics soon and should have them all finished up by tomorrow.