News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hunting Teclis  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
Hunting Teclis
« on: April 4, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
I've got a 3000 point Empire vs High Elves battle (hopefully) soon, and my opponent has told me he's looking forward to fielding his newly-purchased Teclis. After being at the receiving end of two Archmages in our last battle, I thought I'd use this piece of intel and put a Witch Hunter into my army.

Adolphus Geier - 105 pts
Obsidian Amulet, Gambler's Armour, brace of pistols

I was thinking of swapping the pistols out for a great weapon, but that was mainly for aesthetics.

I know, however, that I'll be lucky to get him anywhere near Teclis so I need to know how other Empire players handle High Elf magic since I'm not too bothered by their fighting ability!  8)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Hunting Teclis
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
To help with the context, is the rest of your army the same as the one which you posted here, or have you made additional changes?

The Witch Hunter might help a bit with magical defence, but offensively, I just don't think that you'll be able to get him anywhere near Teclis to make use of his other special rules.  Will your opponent attach Teclis to a large block of infantry?  Wouldn't it be easier to try to destroy this unit while Teclis is attached?  I'd be looking to kill him, as trying to defend against his magical ability isn't all that easy in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Fealhach

« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
I've chopped and changed a little to get it up to 3000 points. It's not an optimal list - just an expansion of my 2000pts - but it performed well enough despite its incompetent commander.  :-[

Lords

Ursula von Blume 155pts
General of the Empire leading the Swordsmen
Full plate, great weapon, Amulet of Preservation

Werner von Sturmere 161pts
Grand Master leading the Inner Circle Knights
Great weapon

Heroes

Luthor Huss riding with the Reiksgard Knights XXXpts

Adolphus Geier As above

Grimoldus Morser 90pts
Master Engineer
Shield of Ptolos

Otto Strobel 115pts
Level 1 Jade Wizard
2 Dispel scrolls

Heinricus Wandelbir 100pts
Level 2 Grey Wizard

Konrad Surman 109pts
Warrior Priest with Halberdiers
Heavy armour, shield, Ogre Blade

Gottfried von Riese 141
Captain of the Empire with Swordsmen
BSB, Armour of Meteoric Iron, great weapon

Core

35 Swordsmen with full command, detachment of 12 militia

39 Halberdiers with full command, detachment of 12 militia

10 Archers

10 Crossbowmen

12 Handgunners

11 Inner Circle Knights with full command

Special

Mortar and Great Cannon

9 Reiksgard Knights with full command

Rare

Helblaster Volley Gun

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »
I think that the list looks pretty solid.

You're likely to receive comments from other players about the cavalry not really being good enough, but I've used two unit of Knights in eighth working together, and they did well enough for me, so I say stick with them.  I'd use these to hit hard down one flank, and use the infantry to follow up, or hold the centre, depending on how aggressively your opponent plays his High Elves.

I've noticed that you have two dispel magic scrolls listed.  I believe that, as per page 500 of the Warhammer rulebook, you can only take one.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Fealhach

« Reply #4 on: April 7, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
I hadn't noticed it was no longer legal to buy more than one dispel scroll. I'm still making noob mistakes after being away from WFB for a good few years. I'll swap out the dispel scrolls to upgrade my lvl1 Wizard to lvl2 and give him a Channelling Staff. Looking at the Shadows spell list, I'd probably be better off using a Jade Wizard and either the Amythist or Celestial Wizard that I have available.

Against low strength Elves I've found the knights can be quite durable despite my ability to consistantly roll 1's.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 7, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
I made the same mistake when I started playing the current edition too, which is why I noticed.

In terms of magic I prefer dealing direct damage from a distance with spells, but Amethyst magic is actually fairly useful if you feel that you can get close enough to make use of it.  I certainly feel that a more aggressive school would complement your Jade Wizard better.