News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz Thoughts?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline zero88

'Ard Boyz Thoughts?
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
I wanted to see who all from here is planning on entering 'Ard Boyz, and wanted to make an all-in-one 'Ard Boyz thread where everyone can pitch in their advice/questions/comments/experiences etc.

For the first time, my local hobby store is hosting 'Ard Boyz so I'm planning on entering. (In previous years I wasn't going to drive 4 hours to play.)

So in here share your thoughts and ideas for that nasty 2500pt list. Or if you have played before and want to share your experiences from it to help out other Ork players with anything on what to expect, or tactics to beat other armies you know you will face (Lash Princes, Lance spam, etc) ..My first thoughts are a normal setup with a KFF mek, but then thoughts of using two green torpedos is extremely tempting  ;D

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
Re: 'Ard Boyz Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline zero88

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
New FAQ says IC's can benefit from Snikrot's Ambush rule... Im thinking combining this with Ghaz or a Green torpedo could be devestating at 'ard boyz, any ideas on how best to exploit this ruling? A barebones 5 Kommando's + Snikrot is only 135pts, also if Ghaz attaches to them the mega armor move is 3D6 take the highest since they all have MTC.

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
If I had to choose someone to go with the kommandos it would be Grotsnik.

This being because that way, I could put them next to a unit and grotsnik's Scalpel short of a medpack rule wont effect it as much, and the enemy won't be able to lead them in circles as easily, if at all...plus then, snikrot and da kommando's get FNP! YEEEAAAHHHH!
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
If I had to choose someone to go with the kommandos it would be Grotsnik.

This being because that way, I could put them next to a unit and grotsnik's Scalpel short of a medpack rule wont effect it as much, and the enemy won't be able to lead them in circles as easily, if at all...plus then, snikrot and da kommando's get FNP! YEEEAAAHHHH!

Ya I thought about this..   Seems pretty nasty not to mention if you had the points you could give them cybork as well.   2 burnas give them PW's... talk about nasty.   

Though getting Ghaz backfield would also be extremely nasty as well.   Considering he can wreck things by himself.  Not to mention he could detach and do his own thing (vehicle krumping) where Grotsnik cannot.   

Even a simple warboss would be a very nasty addition w/ a pk eavy armor and cybork he would make a nasty back field vehicle hunter.

I dunno both are very very nasty.   They provide a bosspole or even in mad doks case them being fearless.   Which is another thing that can work in their favor.   

I had my ard boyz list set but now after this FAQ update I think I may redo my list.   The urge to take Ghaz or a warboss w/ Snikrot is much too great.   (I do know who I can ginnie pig this on though)....  *evil laugh*

Anyway I will be going to Ard boyz this year.  Not sure what I am fully going to bring yet but this is the list I am currently working on.    (the 2nd HQ choice I am very not sure about with the new FAQ).

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=215844.0
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:44:01 AM by angel of death 007 »

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »
Having Ghaz appear in your back line will ruin anyones day but for most lists I think a green torpedo would be better because if Ghaz appears behind you then you move away from him, you have to move damn fast to get away from a green torpedo.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
I too will be entering the Ard Boys again this year. The list I have been using lately has been doing so well I am more than likely going to continue to use it.

SPEED FREAKS

HQ
WARBOSS : AWTY Dakkatoof; Attack Squig, War bike, Power Claw, Cybork Body, Boss Pole.   =155
BIG MEK: Waagut; Heavy armor, Cybork, Kustom Force Field, Boss Pole, Burna   =125

ELITE
1: 15 Tank Busta Boys; Nob heavy armor, BP and PK   = 270

TROOPS
1: 12 BOYS; Slugga and Choppa, NOB, ‘eavy armor, boss pole, Power Claw.= 117
 TRUKK; Red Paint, ram, plank = 50;                                                                        Total = 167
2: 12 BOYS; Slugga and Choppa, NOB, ‘eavy armor, boss pole, Power Claw.= 117
TRUKK; Red Paint ram, plank = 50;                                                                        Total = 167
3: 12 BOYS; Slugga and Choppa, NOB, ‘eavy armor, boss pole, Power Claw.= 117
TRUKK; Red Paint ram, plank = 50;                                                                        Total = 167
4: 12 BOYS; Slugga and Choppa, NOB, ‘eavy armor, boss pole, Power Claw.= 117
5: 12 BOYS; The Drive By Boys; Shootas, Nob with boss pole and big shoota= 92;
 TRUKK; Red Paint, Grot, ram.= 50                                                                         Total = 142
6: 10 Nob Bikers;1 PK, 8 Big Choppa, All with Cybork body, 1 with WAAGH Banner,
2 with boss pole, and 1 is a  Pain Boy                                                                        Total = 620

FAST
1:  The Green Baron = 70
2:  3 War Buggies, Twin Link Rockits, Red Paint  = 120
3:  3 War Buggies, Tracks, Red Paint, with Twin Link Rocket Launcher = 145

HEAVY:
1: Battle Wagon; red paint, riggers, Death Roller, Kannon, 1 big shoota, = 140

TOTAL = 2455

I might add bomb squigs to the TBs, and maybe armor plates to the BW to finish off the points. So far this list has been krumping the heck out of the BA and as I learn I am holding my own against the GK (so far the win,lose,tie ratio is even) I might drop one squadron of buggies or the green baron (and extra points stuff), to put in my squadron of KMB coptas, but I will have to think about it more.

With the new FAQ stating plain as day that walkers cannot attack back, my boarding plank rush will be just as devastating without any of the rules lawyering attempts to save their dreads. Saving a lot of time in the game.(Bwahahahaha....  snort) Too bad we can't use planks against dread knights...
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »
Having Ghaz appear in your back line will ruin anyones day but for most lists I think a green torpedo would be better because if Ghaz appears behind you then you move away from him, you have to move damn fast to get away from a green torpedo.
[/quote

Ya i thought about that.  But the green torpedo by himself is really a vehicle hunter.   Imagine Ghaz in a capture and control mission or coming on with a rear objective that is tempting.  he just needs to be able to make it to an objective, doesnt need to be fast as most put rear objectives toward their board edge.

Offline Sekminara, Porter of Moths

• Cthulhu cultist
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28:27 PM »
I suppose it depends on what the rest of your army consists of. For KoS players I don't think having Ghazzy (or my personal favourite, a naked MAWB) pop out of the backfield would result in any serious (mobility) problems. If they try to get away from the boss (by moving forward) your KoS'll be that much closer, if they try moving towards the edges they can easily be chased and hemmed into the corners Mont'ka style.

The naked MAWB works especially well as a cheap bosspole toting companion to Snikrots krew. Not only will he protect snikrot's unit from fleeing (if they somehow find themselves out of combat), but on the next turn he can be split off to bust tanks (he'll soak up some AP2 fire and if he dies...no great loss) while the Kommandos go off to hide in terrain or if the opportunity presents itself, burn the enemy's  weedier units.

To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world.

Go now read The Stranger (Albert Camus) READ IT!

Offline zero88

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
Skeeter I like your list, tons of AP3 in there, the only thing that might give rise to concern would be a lot of terminators, but I guess thats why we have slugga boyz  :P

As for the new FAQ, I've been thinking why not run both Ghaz AND a green torpedo with snikrot: According to the rules, you can attach any number of IC's to a game, meaning when they arrive the green torpedo and even ghaz if need be can split off to hit seperate targets. The main problem I see is if you have poor reserve rolling those HQs might not be arriving until turn 3 or even 4.