News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: !500 points Alpha legion.  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Harmen

• I'm an idiot
!500 points Alpha legion.
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:52:47 AM »
Hey all.
You may remember my previous topic: 1000 points Alpha legion list

I finished it (almost), when my last cultists are done I'll post a storywise presentation of them in the painting or modelling section (what's that behind your back guardsman?), and I'm rather excited to expand to 1500 for the medusa thing (haven't signed up in the chaos section yet), but I don't know what to get.

As you can see in the other topic, I currently have this:

HQ

Lord. Dark Blade, B. pistol. D Flight, mutation, Aura, Infiltrate            141

Troops:

7 Chaos marines. Bolters. 2X plasma-gun. Infiltrate.               126
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, bolt pistol.              39

7 Chaos, Bolter and CC weapon, 2 X Plasma pistol, Infiltrate.            126
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, Strength, bolt pistol.           44

14 Cultists, Cult champion. Power weapon. Melta Bombs.            123

7 Chaos marines. Bolters. 2X plasma-gun. Infiltrate.               126
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, bolt pistol.              39

Heavy:

8 Havocs. 4 autocannons. Infiltrate, Tank hunters.               232

I currently own 4 plastic heavy bolters, so I could easily add an anti infantry havoc squad.
I am also interested in converting possesed with deamonic talons, but they can't infiltrate so I would have to use a rhino (I have one), but it would be the only vehicle and probably get popped soon.
Option three is getting some deamons and making my cultists really dangerous...
Or I could go terminator on them.
Or I could get bikes.
Or a predator.

As you can see, I'm very unsure about what to take, Help me!

Thank you.
“Give a man a cow, and he will eat for, oh about a weekish. Teach a man to cow, and he will have no idea what the hell you are talking about.”— Oscar Wilde on Cowing

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
Re: !500 points Alpha legion.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:27:35 PM »
Hrrm... it looks like you have a well rounded and fluffy Alpha Legion list.  Lots of troops and a powerful HQ.  I'm going to vote for bikers and havocs for these reasons: 
While you might need a bit more fire power that the predator confers, I like the fact that your entire force so far is infiltrating,  popping out of nowhere and wreaking havoc.  A noisy predator rumbling up sort of negates this image.  Havocs that have infiltrated in with the rest of the army seems more fluffy to me.  (in games terms the pred would probably be more usefull) 

While your HQ is nice, it will probably be a fire magnet and as such you have to expect it will get taken out sometimes.  Keeping this in mind,  it would be nice to have one more hard hitting elites type unit that you can rely on.  While rending possessed are great, as you said they would have to rumble up in rhino to catch up to the rest of the army and would probably get popped.   Even if they made it, the turn they emerge they will most likely be unable to assault as the rhino probably would have had to move more than 6 inches to catch up...and as they have no weapons they would be unable to shoot.  Sitting ducks and point sink.  It is also unfluffy.  Terminators are slow, can't infiltrate and seem out of place in a rapid strike Alpha Legion army.  The maneuverability of the bikers is a great bonus.  You can turbo boost right up to the action, making it that much harder for your opponents to hit.  their improved toughness makes them harder to take out and with the ACs access to the armory you can almost make a Lt out of him.  Plus the image of chaos bikers from hell speeding out of nowhere and running circles around the confused enemy seems the fluffiest of the options.  Any points left, I'd go for demons.  those cultist have to be good for something right?  Later  WG
-edit  you really need some ranged tank busting.  Plasmas and auto cannons can't even glance armor 14.  I'd try to throw in some melta guns somewhere.  Maybe on the bikers.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:35:42 PM by web ghost »

Offline Harmen

• I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 03:53:31 PM »
Terminators can deep strike, that counts for coming out of nowhere doesn't it?

Either way, this is what I've concocted so far...

HQ

Lord. Dark Blade, B. pistol. D Flight, mutation, Aura, Infiltrate               141

Troops:

7 Chaos marines. Bolters. 2X plasma-gun. Infiltrate.                     125
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, bolt pistol.                    38

7 Chaos marines. Bolters. 2X plasma-gun. Infiltrate.                     125
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, bolt pistol.                    38

7 Chaos, Bolter and CC weapon, Infiltrate.                     105
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, Strength, bolt pistol.              43

17 Cultists, Cult champion. Power weapon. Mocu, personal icon      134

Fast:

6 bikers. 2 Melta's. F. Charge                  242
Asp. Champ, D. Strength, D. Mutation, D.Visage. P. Sword         30

5 Furies                           75

Heavy:

8 Havocs. 4 autocannons. Infiltrate, Tank hunters.                     224

8 havocs, infiltrate, 4 H. bolters               `   180

1500 exactly, but somehow I now have 30 spare points in my thousand points list...
“Give a man a cow, and he will eat for, oh about a weekish. Teach a man to cow, and he will have no idea what the hell you are talking about.”— Oscar Wilde on Cowing

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:51:46 PM »
Looks great to me.  Like the all infiltrating troops.  2 havoc squads -nice.  Like the furies. 
BTW, sure termies can deepstrike, but the premise of the Alpha Legion is that they operate far from support.  So a massive ship, with the capability to employ teleportation technology, hovering in space doesn't seem to fit in IMO.  Just an idea, probably fluff overkill.   later  WG

Offline Harmen

• I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »
Not neccesarily. Alpha legion are not an infiltrating force like the Tanith, more of a "Screw honour, do whatever sneaky tricks the enemy is not going to expect", like causing weather imbalances, siding with aliens, bribing officers, funding cults, dressing up as the enemy. To represent that they get infiltration for cheap as the many distraction they cause easily allow them to get up close to the enemy easily and an officer being bribed is hard to express in game terms. I'm happy about this list though. With D.strength and furious charge the asp champs is as lethal on the charge as my lord (except he has one less attack), so that's nice... I can't wait to co-charge the bikers and furies into one squad...

Thanks for the help, any input is still welcome though.

Offline Harmen

• I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »
I figured I might as well write off my ideas of having terminators, sooo, here it is.

HQ

Lord. Dark Blade, B. pistol. D Flight, mutation, Aura, Infiltrate               141

Elites.

5 teminators, H Flamer = 195

Troops:

7 Chaos marines. Bolters. 2X plasma-gun. Infiltrate.                     125
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, bolt pistol.                    38

7 Chaos marines. Bolters. 2X plasma-gun. Infiltrate.                     125
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, bolt pistol.                    38

7 Chaos, Bolter and CC weapon, Infiltrate.                     105
Asp. champ. powerfist, Deamonic mutation, Strength, bolt pistol.              43

14 Cultists, Cult champion. Power weapon. Mocu, personal icon      113

Fast:

6 bikers. 2 Melta's. F. Charge                  242
Asp. Champ, D. Strength, D. Mutation, D.Visage. P. Sword         30

5 Furies                           75

Heavy:

8 Havocs. 4 autocannons. Infiltrate, Tank hunters.                     224

I don't know if it's really better. It is more compact, you don't need a firelane or some for terminators, which the havocs do need. On the other hand, they could just die to deep striking, so they're a bit of a gamble. I think both options are very fluffy though.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
I think that the HQ should be givin' an inv. save. maybe drop him to a LT and then give him aura. Also reaper autocannons are far more effective weapons for the termi's.
   Troops are great, I like 'em. Though I've not used bikes myself before, So I wont comment on them, though I don't think you can use furies. You can use demon packs which is 'blood letters, horrors etc...' furies are demonic beasts a diffrent thing. Though the havocs I love.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »
I'm partial to the first list.  I just like all those havocs with their groovy big guns.  As they are infiltrating they'll be able to lay waste from the start.  I think the terminators (who will be arriving later wouldn't be as successful in using their heavy weapons as combats will have already begun and there will be less targets)  I agree with killersquid on the autocannons on the terminators.  Deepstriking terminators will probably only have the turn they arrive to shoot as they will probably be assaluted, when they show up, and you probably would'nt want to risk DStiking them too close to enemy models for fear of loosing them.  As such the limited range of the flamer means they probably won't be able to hit any thing with them.  Although the flamers could be devastating if they get perfect palcement, don't get charged and then move shoot and charge next turn, this scenario is highly unlikely and as the autocannons  have the better range and would probably be more effective on the Deepstrike IMO.  Both lists look like good fun to me.  The only difference really is the extra havocs or the terminators ...build both and try em both out.  later  WG