News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: OD's 8th Ed Army WOrkshop  (Read 4703 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
OD's 8th Ed Army WOrkshop
« on: July 7, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
This Projekt Blog is intended to cover the wide swath of 40k minis I build/work on during the reign of 8th Edition.  At this moment I can't even equate the wide swath of things I'm going to be building in this, because frankly I want to build some cool stuff.  Expect lots of Scratchbuilds, kitbashes, pretty much every model I builds needs to be converted to some extent.

Comments, Critiques, Input of all kind is welcome, even if its negative, it all helps push me towards better work.  Scratchbuilding is an art, but that doesn't mean its always good.  I'm going to aim for the best and hope you'll be watching and talking with me the way thru.

Armies that will be featured: Orkz, my longstanding OrkNid projekt (looted Tyranids), Ork Genestealer Hybrids, and my new projekt Imperial Grotz. 
Sense a theme?  I was afraid you might.  Fact is I like scratchbuilding, and truth of the matter is that a scratchbuild tends to only look like it fits in the 40k universe when its Orky.  But that's an almost metaphysical conversation.

So lets get started at the races yes?

A few days ago I nabbed a trade for 50 single pose Age of Sigmar gobbos, at the moment I'm in the process of modding them each with a Lasgun.

Sure 10 down so far, but they're also far from completed.  Also they aren't really anything to write home about, but its early in the process.  Each of these little blighters will be a regular Grot for Ork armies, but I'm also working on figuring out how to make each one a removable base extension that will raise them up to Guardsmen height so each can properly count as a Conscript for a future (and new) Imperial Grot Army.

Why Imperial Grots?  Because the Gretchen need love too.  Also my roommate wants to learn 8th, specifically with a Guard army and frankly Grotz are cheaper and more fun for me to convert.  Also since he's not paying for it, I'm gonna do this my way.  And with lots of vehicles.

But this isn't exactly an exciting pic or conversion thing for my debut post, so let me pull out something from the shelf of unfinished projekts err projects (sorry trying to stop the Orkspeek).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is the first time I've ever taken a photo of this beastie.  Now there's a LONG backstory to this Hive Tyrant, but to shorten it up I've been working on him off and on for ages (originally started around 2011).  The plan has changed at least a dozen times, and since then the plastic winged Tyrant model came out (yeah this started before the plastic Tyrant).  This current incarnation of his weapon systems was specifically for the Skyblight Swarm formation, which no longer exists.

At the moment he still needs a lot of detail work, but the more major work is a suitable Prehencil Pincer and a replacement of those dinky Scything Talons (which truly don't seem to work well anyway) with ranged weapons (trying to decide between the Slimer Deathspitter or the Brainleech Devo).

That's all for today, but stay tuned for lotz more stuff!

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:58:56 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: OD's 8th Ed Army WOrkshop
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2017, 06:47:50 AM »
G'day OD from TV!
Can see the potential there, mate. Looks like a lot of work. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
Can see the Hive Tyrant is going to look nasty as. Yeah your right, OD. They've wasted a lot of plastic for a back scratcher like the Scything Talons... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2017, 07:32:25 AM »
Nice! Those Grots look they'll be a fun project. Kinda hard to tell on the Hive Tyrant though, the pictures are small so I'm having a hard time seeing the various bits, but I'm still intrigued! Nice to see in the Project Logs OD, looking forward to seeing where these new armies and models go!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
Firstly I want to thank Saim-dann and Cavalier for your early interest in this thread!  Since you both mentioned this guy, I thought some better photos might be in order.

I may not have the greatest definition camera, but I hopefully these pics better illustrate the model.  Its a true scratchbuild, using Fex Legs, Fex Sporecist back, a Crushing Claw for a head, Fleshborer Hive for the jetpack, and lots of PVC and Plasticcard.  Extra detail and time was taken on the remains of a busted Russ track because I made this in the days when I regularly played in store and felt the need to fudge my scratchbuilds so at a glance they look like they meet or exceed the 75% GW material requirement.

Of course now that I'm exclusively a home gamer these days, I'm not as hardcore on that aspect which frees me up to make all sorts of wild.

Unfortunately I haven't worked on Skytyrant today, but there is an update nonetheless.  My roomie has changed his mind on what army he wants, deciding to go with Tau.  On one hand that means I picked up these Grots for little purpose which is agrivating, but the other hand I can scratchbuild Battlesuits with little to no GW material.

On that front I've dug out one of many past incomplete (and frankly failed) conversions, this one an attempted Battlesuit from when I briefly considered building a Farsight Enclave force.

It was an interesting idea, but this model even as a prototype doesn't do a Battlesuit justice.  Also because I'm ruleminded I need to dig out the old Battlesuit mini and get measurements of the actual model to make sure its that size or slightly larger (I would never konvert a model for an in game advantage, that's [censored] cheating).

For a real Battlesuit conversion I'm torn on keeping an Ork Torso or making it completely scratch.  In either case I feel that big shoulders are going to be a thing, and I'm likely going to borrow some inspiration for the legs from Borderlands 2's Loader Bots.

A better (and freshly made today) prototype for a Marker drone is right here though.

Is it complete, no not at all, but that's why this is a prototype, I'm figuring out the conversion before doing batches (game-wise I'm thinking the army will be suits and drones, who needs Troop choices in 8th Edition?).

The 'markerlight' at the bottom is way too wide though, and doesn't stick out far enough to really read as a gun.  Also I feel that downward slope before the engine block doesn't quite work either.  But as a prototype it works, and also has the benefit of having the appropriate diamater, even if each is going to end up fatter in the end (just means opponents will have an easier time targeting them on the table).

To close today I'll throw one more pic of a close to finished Orknid Flying Tyrant (because it is some of my better work, and why not).

The nickname of this konversion is the Gunslinger, for obvious reasons.  He hasn't been painted because I need to do something with the jet thruster, haven't done any wirework on him, and naturally there needs some minor detailing.  In the end its a good thing I never finished as with this edition I'm likely to rip off the chest weapon (because Electrostatic Grubs are gone) and modify each gun to represent the new Slimer Deathspitters (supposing I can find/trade for 4 Deathspitters in the near future).

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:00:58 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Good morning, OD!, (Or evening where you are).
Cheers for the mention in your reply. The photo wasn't to small as I downloaded it and had a goooood look.

-Tau Orks... Yes please. There are a number of Tau players here in Bundy that would cringe at that. So build'm, paint'm and bring'm on!

-Have a couple of thoughts that may help your projects. Use them or scrap them at your will. Instead of building a battle suit around the Ork. To help keep the size lined up with the rules. Could you have a battle suit with the head area removed and an Ork jutting out from elbows up, with control leavers in his hands and a cheesy grin?

-The drone looks really good. very Orky. I can envision a Grot hanging off it or guiding it. Like the big honk'n rokits with the Grot controllers.

-That Fly Tyrant looks amazing! No ideas for that one . it's perfect.

Thanks for sharing, OD. That was a hoot to read... Be well!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »
Wow really nice job so far, digging the way you did the barrel on the battle suit.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »
Instead of building a battle suit around the Ork. To help keep the size lined up with the rules. Could you have a battle suit with the head area removed and an Ork jutting out from elbows up, with control leavers in his hands and a cheesy grin?

That would be the ideal Saim-dann.  Unfortunately since I don't quite have the funds to make that feasible, I'll have to go the scratch build route.  40k is an expensive hobby, but I can offset that by scratchbuilding (especially when I have a pound left of plasticcard in the closet).

As a sidenote Saim-dann I have no idea where Bundy is, trying to google that was...well weird.  Nevertheless feel free to show off my work to your mates, if not loot the ideas for yourself!  I'd definitely love seeing another personal loot the Tau because in reality I'm just looting their rules.

Wow really nice job so far, digging the way you did the barrel on the battle suit.
Thanks magenb, its really rough so I'm sure you'll like what's to come.  When it comes to the barrel itself, (in case you want to build similar) get a hobby drill (occasionally called a pin vice) and two sets of rods that fit inside one another.  I then drill out rows of 3 in the larger rod alternating each row being further up or further down.  It usually takes me about an hour, but if you want to speed up you could drill thru both sides of the rod at the same time, something I generally avoid because I'm a little imprecise and that slight imperfection can quickly screw up a barrel when drilling that fast.

And now here's a minor project update (It was a busy weekend at work).

I start out with Drones.  Even though I keep fluctuating lists (and will possibly be adding in Forgeworld stand-ins), I know I'm going to end up around 4+ units of these guys, and it doesn't hurt to refine that prototype

With the core design done, the only real hurtle left is figuring how to do squad differential (that's what it sounds like, modeling ways to make individual units appear to be individual units even when bunched together, without resorting to a 'rainbow' paint palate alterations between each unit).  At the moment I'm thinking Top Fins, aerials, Glyphs or Dags, and per Saim-dann's suggestion a unit of grot controlled mini ufos (although that could be those deluxe big Drones from Forgeworld... if they still exist in the new book).

Well... that's the extent of all the new work.  Like I said it was a busy weekend and when your a scare actor for an Escape Room the weekend is really your work week.  And while these little guys are nice, I feel I need to put more down so here's another guy from my Gotta Fix up for the new Edition pile.

Please don't mind the horrible and unfinished paintjob.  It was a rushed splash of paint for an in store game that hasn't yet gotten cleaned up.  I'm kinda glad I never finished the paintjob though because this guy will be going back under the modeling knife for a bit of sprucing. The Devo bits at the end of the choppy gun arms will be removed and altered to be closer to the standard Deathspitter they started out being, and the 'gun pods' are to be removed and replaced with Deathspitter ones.

As you can see in the picture those 'gun pods' can turn about while also being removable and easily swapped with other gun rigs that I've done (kind of a standardization I've done with a fair amount of scratchbuilds).  I never truly finished this guy because during the initial build I had planned to use this technique to provide alternate weapon options, such as 2 DCCWs for times when this model would pull double duty as an Ork Deff Dread.  (is this the first time that I've mentioned that a lot of my scratchbuilds are meant as multipurpose units, because I do that a lot.)

For now food and rest are on my horizon

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:02:44 PM by OD from TV »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »
Hey OD, how are you!
Bundy is short for Bundaberg, mate. Here in Queensland. Home of Bundaberg Rum. Best fishing in the world, being at the very bottom of the Great Barrier Reef.

Understand about the budget of this hobby, OD. Especially with the cost of rules on top. You're a smart man collecting Orks, the best army out there for scratch building... Be well! 

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »
You're a smart man collecting Orks, the best army out there for scratch building... Be well!
Every now and then I think I might have some element of smarts left, often times its less than five minutes after that the universe punishes the hubris.  Of course I'm not being serious when I'm saying that.

In the early early days of the hobby, scratchbuilding was entirely wide open for all races, and truly one of the greatest scratchbuilds of that era that every neckbeard remembers and loves was the Imperial grav tank made out of an old deodorant stick.  As time passed this fell away except for the Orkz who are specifically singled out as being fiercely unique. And what's more unique then Orks looting other codex's?  (truth be told I know I'm not the first or will I be the last to do this).

Btw, its awesome your from down there, in truth that is was the last continent I hadn't met someone from (now I guess I have to meet someone from every country). 

Projekt Update!

This week was surprisingly stressful, leading to a rapid decrease of building.  But progress continued nonetheless!

So... What exactly is this thing?!  Well its pretty rough but its the start of a 2 in 1 model utilizing optional removable bits to be either a Grot Tank OR a Broadside.

I know you may not be able to see the Broadside yet, especially when all of that aspect of the conversion is the 'power core' that will form the center of the body, but trust me it'll work.

Or it won't and I'll scrap this idea.  But it'll work!  I hope.

Like I said, this is a quick little update, but by Thursday (if not sooner) my faith in this idea will be vindicated in my next update.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:03:48 PM by OD from TV »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
G'day OD!
Looking as Orky as a project can get. Really keen to see the ongoing progress.
By the by if you want to meet an Aussie, go to the local pub. If there is one of us in your community, he'll/she'll be there.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »
I may already spend far too much time at my local pub...

Anyway, I had to kick the photobucket and reup the pics because they weren't displaying.  Hopefully the wips can all be seen again.  (fingers crossed).

Projekt Update: Grot Tank/Broadside

Nevermind the little bit of red.  Every now and then a scratchbuild gets a little baptism of blood (or in a less poetic words the blade slips and cuts a finger instead of plastic)...it happens to us all.  I do think she's shaping up as a great scratchbuild.  Still early, but you can really see the progress.

With the vision slit I broke with tradition and splashed in a bit of paint before the full build was complete, really because I know getting paint behind the viewport after it was fully built would be a pain.

The last thing I have to mention about the lower half is that the wheels are going to get some battledamage.  As it is with them so clean they really don't stand out to me, and not in a good way.

But just posting the bottom wouldn't give for a complete picture.

The body is really taking shape, but as you can tell from the photo I'm having some trouble deciding where the head should go.  The original thought was for the head to go at the top, but when the wip head fell out of my fingers and landed in the unfinished chest...well it kinda felt like kismet.  I can't decide now before the arms and weapons are built, but I'm certainly leaning in a direction at the moment.

Peace
~OD

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »
G'day OD!
There's no such thing as too much time in a pub. We planted our letter box outside our local.

Coming along nicely there, mate. I take it that the shortened tube, behind where the head was originally going, is where the arms will be protruding from? I'd keep the head where it was and turn the chest into a Crowsnest for a grot, but then again this is an idea from a mere Eldar player without the imagination of an Ork wielder.

This is going to be a mean looking beast when finished. Keep us up to date, won't you?
... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »
Love it, love it, love it! I'll take ten please.

I can't wait to see the finished build.

Question: are you adding rivets to the model and if you are, would you do the rivets with plastic, green stuff, or paint them on?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:25 AM »
This is a really cool thread OD, I'm sorry I only just stumbled upon it.

I'm always really impressed by people that take the time and effort to scratch build stuff. It's way beyond my ability and patience!

Anyway, keep up the great work, I look forward to popping in from time to time to see what progress you've made.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:21:46 AM »
Haha! Love the creativity in this thread :)

I've always wanted to see looted Tyranids and here they are!

Looking forwards to Orky Tau too ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »
Before anything else, a big thank you to everybody that's responded and my apologies for the lateness in my response, real life as been absurd with my dad's album release party, and a ramp up at work.  In fact its odd that I'm so swamped as this is the first year I'm not working ScareLA.  All that aside, I'm honestly going to try and keep updates a regular thing regardless of the real world.

...this is an idea from a mere Eldar player without the imagination of an Ork wielder.
I think your selling yourself short there SaimDann.  After all I started out as Eldar and only picked up Orks after a bet (the exact words were "not even you could win with Orks").  My point is that while I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do with this 'beast', I am going to keep your (and everyone else's) suggestions in mind.

I'll take ten please...
Question: are you adding rivets to the model and if you are, would you do the rivets with plastic, green stuff, or paint them on?

If you are honestly interested in purchasing models from me hit me up in a PM, I'll gladly sell/trade what I build, or if you have a specific request I'll do commission work (just don't expect commissions to be built fast).  And that goes out to anyone reading this.

As for rivets, they are a detail a lot of Ork players find essential, but not something I actually do too often.  When I do its usually in small cuts of rod from Plastruct, however I did recently receive some HO scale 3D decal rivets I'm interested in trying.  Just don't ask me where to get those, the price, or manufacturer as that's all info I don't have.

This is a really cool thread OD, I'm sorry I only just stumbled upon it.

I'm always really impressed by people that take the time and effort to scratch build stuff. It's way beyond my ability and patience
No need to be sorry Looshkin, this thread is still quite a deal in its infancy, and there's lots of stuff I know I'm gonna be throwing together.  Having a project thread really helps me to tackle projects, and this one being so wide open by the time I'm ready to end it I know there will be something for just about everyone.

As for it being beyond your ability, I wouldn't say that.  Scratchbuilding, like all art takes a lot of practice.  No one just sits down and paints a Picasso, and in truth not everyone can paint a Pollock either (although most people looking at one think they can with little effort).  Should you ever decide to give it a go, feel free to use me as a resource!  Ask questions, ask for examples, ideas, whatever you need I might be able to give some advice on and I'll happily do so! (again this goes out to anyone reading this!!).

I've always wanted to see looted Tyranids and here they are!  Looking forwards to Orky Tau too
Well Ynneadwraith you are gonna like this thread and today's post.  At the moment I'm going to take a slight detour away from the LooTau.  Nobody worry, I'll be getting back to that project soon, but today's update is going to be a focus on Ork Hybridz.

And I do apologize that the quality of the photos has gone down, at the moment I have to work outside which is less then ideal.

Background
Model building for my Ork Hybrid army was only a few months in the works when 8th dropped, and they only participated in a handful of games that were heavy with proxies.  Ultimately though I'm glad I didn't build more since the removal of formations (such as Neo Cav and Sub Up) have drastically restructured what I want to play with.   Not a bad thing when I didn't put a lot of money down!

UPDATE

First up is the original prototype (and a newly converted) Neophyte Autocannon Heavy Wep teams

The old one is on the left, the new one is on the right.  Each are largely the same (its wonderful when a prototype is worth multiple production!); the gunners are regular boys while the second member is a heavily modified fantasy boarboy rider with Stealer bits.  At this point I feel that most players can get the idea from these, but I'd estimate each is around 40% completion.  They each need greenstuffing, gluing to the base, detailing (such as dents and scratches to their armor), and even though they take up a lot of base space, I feel that I really have to amp up the bases with flotsam and jetsam (although we'll just have to see what happens with that).

Originally I wasn't going to build Purestrains, but with the army changes in 8th and the Index FAQ drastically reducing their point cost I had to plop some Purestrains together.

These guys are just the first wave, I'm thinking of utilizing a unit of 15, but time and gameplay will tell if I want more (I happen to have a backlog of used and unbuilt Stealers laying around.  And no your eyes aren't decieving you, one of them has a painted arm from a long time MIA model, which I'm sure will only now resurface since I used his arm.

Lastly today is what I'm going to call a starting point.  Now sure I started this model a good while ago, but I'm not satisfied with him so he's going to get severely reworked.  So think of this as the starting point...

For me, the only thing that's really working on this model is the Exhausts and the Bugeye glyph.  But even then I really adapted the Bugeye symbol for the OrkNid army, and while I know it is possible even likely I'll use Hybrids alongside them in a combined forces army, I feel I have to give the Hybrids their own symbols.

Add to that how the Toxin Injector claw I worked up for him is currently MIA.  If you look closely you can see where it broke off on his left shoulder joint.  While I am crossing my finger that I'll find where it went, I'm not going to hold my breath either and will likely be attaching a new one soon.

Work on all fronts will continue, and I will do my best to try and keep regular updates despite the real life turbulence.

Peace
~OD

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Crikey Moses, OD!
The hits just keep coming and coming. What are the thingies on the Purestrain Genestealers? Are you using them like Squig Bombers? As a Nid player, am a little disheartened to see Genestealers as shooter platforms. However, as a gamer? They look Micky Mouse! That's a huge body of work there, mate. Well done... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
Oh my, I should have better clarified, those will be genuine Genestealers used as Genestealers, don't worry they aren't meant to be running bombz (those will likely be Grots carrying explosives for count as Squigbombz and/or Spore Mines)

I was trying to make them look more Cybernetic, with engine manifolds on their backs and exhausts coming out of where the weaker (and rulewise ignored) middle limbs come out.  I'm currently waiting on an order of more Plastruct tubes to come in, when finished the exhausts will look more like the prototype Primus.  I also want to add in some wire work on each, probably a few wires leading from the heads to the engine backpacks.

As for Mickey Mouse, I didn't see it until you mentioned it, and now I can't help but see it.

Peace
~OD