News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Challenge!  (Read 46550 times)

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Re: The Challenge!
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
@Valar - the Orks are great.  I really like the dark skin tone and the details are superbly executed.

@O:nk - the preview of the Dreadknights is looking really good.  If you've got 15pts ready to upload then I'm going to have to find some stuff I can finish before the end of the month to give you a run for your money  ;)

@Angel of Death 007 (and anyone else).  Feel free to join in.  I certainly think it's a case of the more, the merrier.  I'm not sure that I'll be able to maintain my current rate of painting for the rest of the year so don't assume you'll get left behind (and if you do, you can always claim that you did it to make O:nk feel better - that's certainly my plan).  Anyway, you might be suprised how easily the points rack up - I was.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »
Yes Oink very nice work indeed on those dreadknights, your power weapon blends are getting better with each pass.  I would like to know the choice of blue you use to do them.

Zagstrukk arrived yesterday and my God is finecast hit and miss... probably the worst cast Ive had and I will have to be doing significant work to get him ready.  the main thing I dislike with finecast is the texture it seems to leave after painting its not smooth like metal or plastic... i'll be trying a couple of coats of surface primer and a varnish before undercoating him.  Had to replace all the pipes/cables/wires with some plastic rod which luckily I had left and then fill holes in most of his muscles.... I wont be cheeky and claim 2points for converting as he is as seen but the amount of prework going into him he deserves at least 1 conversion point.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 06:45:07 AM »
Im torn between giving bonus points for doing finecast... or telling you hard luck and better luck getting a good cast next time! Lol

As for those blades, they are done with only 3 colours: white, ice blue and hawk torquise.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
Maybe this is just the swift kick in the butt I need to not only get my many projects finished, but also to learn 6th edition....

So I am IN

I am going to claim 5 points for gaming for a Draw on the giant apocalypse battle I was in on January 12 seen here...
Highlights from our massive 38,000 point apocalypse match

I also converted 15 gretchin using gnoblars as the basis, fantasy gretchin heads, and cut off arms to add gretchin weapons and dwarf thunderer guns.   I also converted a few of the night goblin guys into the mix.  The runtherder was not converted but was one of the orks in the old chariot, seemed fitting. 

No idea how detail scoring works or what consists as detailing.  I did do their eyes, teef, and one got a cool bottle painted up nice.   I also got them all based...

So....
Gaming :  5 pts  draw
Konverting:  15 pts (15 gretchin infantry)
Painting:  16 pts (15 gretchin and a runtherder)
Basing:  16 pts (15 gretchin and a runtherder).
Detailing  ??  to be determined i guess...

I started on several other projects but was not able to finish them, maybe next month..  Other projects started included:
-doing the skin on my Ogre Leadbelchers
-painted all the details on the cargo area and the cockpit of one of my vendettas plus built it afterwards
-started konverting some of my thunderwolf cavalry for my chaos space wolves plus got some cool bases for them
-started painting my Aegis wall (not sure how that will score out point wise?)
-painted most of my manticore I bought myself for the holiday, won't get it finished this month but next month I should have it done nicely.

Maybe next month I can give you a good run for your money....

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:18:02 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 04:53:20 AM »
Okay, to clarify detailing, this is significant freehand or additional painted detailing or techniques over and above painting the detail of the model itself. For example, painting a models skin, face, teeth and eyes is considered painting the detail of the model. Adding significant tattoos or intricate patterns to skin or cloth is painting in additional detail.

Other things that would be considered additional detailing include using transfers or weathering.

Ultimately when you post pictures of the models we will be able to see if youve tried enough detailing for the points and award them or not.

The other impotant thing i want to stress is that you dont have to be awesome good at detailing. We arent saying you have to getvit looking golden demon standard. It is about encouraging you to try out detailing techniques, you can always get help improving, but you need to start somewhere!

Finally, we were debating whether or not to count gaming scores for everyone or not (we had put those in to try and get valar and me to play vs each othrr). Cant remember what was decided in the end.
The trouble with gaming scores in general is verification... we could remove the gaming scores completely (this is the painting board after all) although potentially keep the painted unit bonus (first time used in battle with supply of picture evidence)??

Whilst we decide what to do with gaming ill get to work adding your already sizeable paint score on!

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »
sorry Angel, id have to agree with Oink here.  The point of the scores for detailing is to encourage things such as free hand, OSL, weathering or sheer clothing effects (such as Plastikente has done) not for painting the models details. That being said I like what youve done in making each gretchin a character of their own.  Particularly like the smashed bottle.

As for gaming scores, I think now that its open to everyone as a painting challenge perhaps we should drop the gaming scores, I think it would be good to still offer points for the first time a unit thats painted for this challenge is used in battle (on provision of evidential photos)

As we are drawing near to the end of the first month of competition I would like to continue adding to my score in the hopes that Oink cant catch me up to take the first month.  I will claim another 9 points for Boss Zagstrukk.... Painting character 6 points, converting 1 point, basing 1 point, detailing 1 point.... should take the total to 75

Will edit this post within the day to include the pics.

EDIT

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:46:59 PM by Valar »

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
For gaming scores, I reckon 5 pts for first use is fair.  That's easy to prove with a photo - and if this Challenge becomes so important that you want to fake that to get a few points then you probably want to re-examine your priorities...

But then I thought, 5 pts per unit, or 5 pts per model?  Maybe you can have a maximum of 5 points each month for getting a fresh model onto the gaming table for the first time - that would encourage us to do it without skewing the totals too much.  Thoughts?

I have a WIP photo for you all (not claiming any points yet - still some highlighting to do):

These are my Escher Juves.  As you can see, I have gone for a fairly subdued colour scheme to tie in to my steampunk theme.  My question is, do they need a splash of colour?  I was thinking of maybe giving them bright hair.  What do people think?  Will that add life to the models or just look out of place?  And if so, should they all get the same colour, or do they get a different colour each?

Feedback would be appreciated, but I am hoping to claim the points for finishing these before the end of the month, so be quick  ;)

Offline XavianBlacksoul

• Oh well, worse things happen at sea.
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
I really like those ladies, always had a thing for those jes goodwin sculpts. I would leave the hair personally and give them matching gangland tattoos.  I think that would be just the ticket and gain you some extra points?
90 percent of sci-fi is crud, but then 90 percent of everything is crud.
Thoedore Sturgeon.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
@plastikente,  definately bright hair, u got more warm tones maybe a teal color blue hair might work.   Make them pop.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:38 AM »
I agree with Xavian, leave the hair as it is and add tattoos. I don't think very bright hair would be apt for people living and fighting in the underhive. Unless you can make it bright and very dirty.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:11 AM »
So here it is, my last update of this month.  I sort of mixed the advice that people gave me about finishing off the Juves, giving 3 of them teal-ish hair (but no that bright), and also going for tattoos and some other freehand detailing on loin cloths/clothing.  All of the detailing was gear-wheel based, to tie in the steampunk theme for the gang.  I think I have a long way to improve with my detailing, and I might have to invest in a magnifying glass, but as O:nk pointed out, this is about trying things out and improving.

Painted, based and detailed on loin cloth and shoulder - 3pts.

Painted, based, detailed on loin cloth and back of vest and converted (made a little top hat out of green stuff) - 4pts.  I included an extra box-out of the face because the focus wasn't quite on in the whole-model shot.

Painted, based and detailed on shoulder - 3 pts.

Another conversion - I was forced to give her a new gun because she was missing that when I bought her.  I think the splinter pistol actually looks like a reasonable steampunk ray gun (=laspistol).  Then I gave her some goggles made out of green stuff.  Also painted, based and detailed on stomach, loin cloth and left buttock.  4 pts.

Which gives me 14pts for these models, and 51 in total.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
@Plastikente, I like the tattoos and the blue hair i think really works with the models, personally

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
Thanks.  I played around with a few colours on paint over the WIP shot which I already posted, and decided that blue was the only combo I liked.  The unintended consequence of that is that I have basically turned turquoise into a theme colour through the gang so far (except the dark-skinned Juve).  So now I have to decide whether to maintain that for future models, or break away.  But that's a decision for next month...

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #53 on: February 2, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
So the beginning of a new month in the challenge thread. Janurary has yielded all the points it is going to and has now run dry... February now holds a tantalising opporutnity for fresh points.   The scores go back to 0 to give every one a chance to win the month starting from a level footing. Who will win february's prize?  Have a go the person who wins the most months out of the 12 available is the winner of the challenge year!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: February 2, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
Is there anyway of keeping a total running score for the year?   I know it would be nice to be able to look back and see just just how many points we had.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #55 on: February 2, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »
Oinks table of scores should be kept available on the first page so you can always see each months total..(each  month will have a table like January's)......

Then at the end we will add up everyones scores so they can see exactly how many points were scored over the year. 

Also by showing each months score you will always know what you managed the previous month and can aim to better it 

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #56 on: February 2, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
Okay so January saw me round off the month with finishing a Jokaero... just painting and basing for 2 points!! not really much else that can be done with it to be honest!

I'm having trouble with my camera at the moment but do not want to delay any further so that we can get stuck in to February... I'll update you gys with the Jokaero picture in due course but for now lets have a quick January Run down:

January 2013 run down:

Jan 2013 |Building |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL
oink
-
-
-
Valar
-
-
-
Plastikente
-
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

So, at the end of January Valar is off to a great start with Plastikente and myself just about within sniffing distance. A great throw down start by Angel of Death shows that he certainly has the capability to throw down some big scores!!! Its interesting to see where the points totals are coming from too - with Plastikente and Angel of Death liking to concentrate on conversions whilst Valar is enjoying detailing each model he paints! Meanwhile my own high painting tally is coming from working on larger scale models...

I will keep this month on the front page too for prosperity, but will add a second chart for fabuary which will allow us to track items as with this table, but also total everything up for a running total.

I've got a few things nearing completion and a lot of painting that needs to be done this month so here's hoping I can get more done that you guys!

oink out for now... and happy painting!!

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #57 on: February 3, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »
So close!  I'll get you next month, O:nk...

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #58 on: February 3, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
So close!  I'll get you next month, O:nk...

Just to uh play devils advocate here.... That 1 point that Oink beat you by Plastikente is being held by a Jokaero model that we have yet to see pics of..... Whos claiming points without Pics now Oink  ;)  ;D

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #59 on: February 5, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
like I said, only 'cos it's not right for me to throw the model into feb, and i'm having trouble with my camera at the moment. Got a new one and will be taking snaps of the completed models shortly... including a draigo i've just finished to go into February...

Also, you might be in trouble this month Valar... I've got so much stuff to paint this month it's not even funny... I'm not sure how I'm going to get it all done to be honest! but more than that - I found a great GW garden of morr terrain box set in my cupboard... morr by name and by nature, the instructions list it as having a statue, 3 buildings and a set of walls / gates. That's 5 different terrain sets all in one box! cha-ching!