News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Play test Space Marines vs CWE  (Read 1399 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Play test Space Marines vs CWE
« on: July 4, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
1503 points so same points
HQ - 89
Captain, Chainsword+combi-plasma

Elites - 856
2 x Squads of Sternguard, Sergant Chainsword+Storm Bolter, 3 Marines with Combi-flamers, 2 with Heavy flamers.
2 x full squads of Vanguard Veteran Squads with jump packs, Sergant has storm shield and Power sword, rest have 2 chainswords
1 x Venerable Dreadnought - Missile Launcher and Twin Autocannons

Heavy - 360
2 x Devastator squads, Sergeant has combi-plasma, 4 Missile Launchers

Transport 198
2 x Razorbacks with Twin heavy flamers and storm bolter.

VS

CWE: 1509 points on the nose.

HQ - 121
Autarch Skyrunner - MandiBlasters, Laser Lance.

Troop - 220
2 x 10 - Guardian Defenders, with AML on HWP, this lets them add to the reaper firepower.

Elites - 362
2 x 9 - Striking Scorpions including Exarch with Biting Blade.

Fast Attack - 261
1 x 6 - Shinning Spears including Exarch with Star Lance.

Heavy - 324
3 x 3 - Dark reapers with Exarch no upgrades.

Flyers - 211
Hemlock.

OK don't have the full blow, by blow so cliff notes:
SM Missile Launches are crap against 3+ saves, fantastic against 5+ saves.
Flamers are meh
Heavy Flamer are OH MY GOD super nasty.
Venerable Dreadnought is a pain, suer accurate just need to sort the load out.

CWE Won, but only because the Razorback exploded and 3 other units were nearby. Took plus side though, it hurt the Spears and the Autarch lol.

Vanguard with two chainswords wasn't as  good as I thought it would have been, but they did get thinned out fairly quickly thanks to the explosion.

Razorback with twin Heavy flamers is waaaaaaaaay too good.

Basically grab as many Sterngaurds with as many heavy flamers as you can pop them in, with Flaming razorbacks would be a seriously bad ass force right now. I pitty the fool that goes up aginst that list.

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Play test Space Marines vs CWE
« Reply #1 on: July 4, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »
Cool report Magenb!
Thanks for the heads up. Heavy flamers hey? Will have to poke around my bitz box. I'm too lazy to go through all your posts to find this out, so which chapter SM went up against the Pointy ears?

Plus, do you recommend ML against horde armies, Orks/Conscripts? Was a hoot to read as always, mate. After learning from your reports, My mates are going to be scratching their heads after my first game... Bwahaha!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Play test Space Marines vs CWE
« Reply #2 on: July 4, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »
Cool report Magenb!
Thanks for the heads up. Heavy flamers hey? Will have to poke around my bitz box. I'm too lazy to go through all your posts to find this out, so which chapter SM went up against the Pointy ears?

Plus, do you recommend ML against horde armies, Orks/Conscripts? Was a hoot to read as always, mate. After learning from your reports, My mates are going to be scratching their heads after my first game... Bwahaha!

Generic Marines, so no chapter schenanigans just yet.

Missile Launchers should do very well against T7 or lower that has a 5+ armour save. The number of loooong range shots is redonkulus. Their S8 shot is totally not worth it, the minor AP value at such a small volume just means it gets shrugged off alot of the time.

My gut feeling is Heavy flamers would do better against hordes than Missiles. The catch though, is it is easier to spam missiles as the flamers need transports.

One Twin HF took out 7 scorpions in one go, while the other only took 2 out, so yeah they can be a bit random, but unlike the missile launchers, wounds were sticking every time it fired.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So The Two Razorback line up right on the deployment line, Vanguard hiding behind them.
Dev Squad, Dreadnought and Captain all huddle together in cover roughly in the middle, so they can just about hit anywhere. The only thing out of range is the Hemlock, just.

The Scorpions, Spears+Autarch are all behind LOS blocking terrain. Laving both Guardians squads and all three DR in cover. A squad of Reapers and GD's on the left side, kind of hoped it might tempt them Razors to slit up.

T1: SM
Razors move up and pop smoke, Vanguard units move up behind them.
Dread unloads on the Reapers, but only manages to get 1 kill from the Autocannons.
Both Squad of dev unload on the reapers on the other side with ALOOOTT of dice. Mathhammer suggest 3W with re-rolls of 1's, but only 2 stick.. except Command points got dropped :)

T1:CWE
Hl moves in on the Dread, fails conceal. Drop 4 Wound on the Dread.
Both scorpions move up ready to charge Razor's
Spears+Au flanks to get in shoot and charge range of 1 Razor and Vanguard unit.
Guardians(GD2) on the left make a break for it since the other razor did not split off, but fails to get in cover thanks to crappy advance roll.

GD1 manages to scratch 2 Wounds of the Razor1, go Bladestorm!
All the Dark Reapers unload on Raazor1, 3 more Wounds
Scorpions Shoot the Razor1 , another 1 Wound
Spears and Au Lance Razor1 and the thing explodes... ahhh yeah.. the Following Cop 3 MW
  Spears
  AU
  Razor2
  Vanguard1
  Vanguard2

Spears+Au unload on Vanguard1, killing 6 more.. last one run away with the spoon.
Scorpions1 charge the Sternguard, 7 die all to the 2 Heavy Flamers, 2 Sterns die.
Scorpion2 charges Razor, 3 die.
Spears and AU fail their charges on the vanguard, seriously bad rolls.

T2:SM
Sternguard2 disembark, move and shoot the Spears for 6 wound !!
Vanguard 2 changes Scoprion1 which is lock in combat with Sternguard1, finish them off.
Dev squads unload on the GD2 caught n the open, they all perished.
Dread Kills 3 from GD1
Captain and Serg's shoot Hemlock, 6 Wound go through the armour, but Spirit Stone kicked in and saved both..
Scorpion2 managed 3W on Razor2, Biting Blade is just awesome.

T2: CWE
HL moves to shoot Sternguard, gets 3 kills
GD1 shoot Vanguard2 in the back as they are no longer lock in combat :) 4 die
Spears shoot Sternguard, killing only 2, lances finish the unit off though.
Dark Reaper finish off the other Sternguard caught in the open.
The rest of the DR squads finish off the Vanguard2 squad in the open.
Scorpions get 2 more Wound on Razor2.

T3:SM
Dread tried to shoot the Dark Reaper Squad, but can't make the Wounds stick.
Razor2 falls back
Both Dev Squad try to kill DR with Krak missiles, only 1 Wound sticks

T3: CWE
GD1 Advance
Scoprions move up
Spears+AU move up
Hemlock moves.
Spears Lance the razor and finish it off.
Hemlock gets 4 more Wounds on the Dread
DReapers kill 2 Devs.
Spears+Au Shuriken Dev and get 2 more kills

Game gets called at this point.

If that Razor didn't explode I would have been in a world of hurt.

I will say that given how close all the fighting was a Ynnari force would have been very nasty, but CWE did manage to pull it off, so no need to go to the defector force just yet ;)

« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 04:32:48 AM by magenb »