News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can we out gun the Riptide?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Can we out gun the Riptide?
« on: April 7, 2013, 03:53:48 AM »
While assaulting the Riptide with war scythes and wraiths is probably the preferred method of handling these monstrosities, I wanted to ask the community if they have any ideas regarding out shooting them. Beyond a unit of 5 destruction crypteks, I can't think of cheaper way of getting enough AP 2 weapons to make an impact. Even Death marks seem like they might struggle to get past the terminator armor save.

How do you plan on handling them?

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: Can we out gun the Riptide?
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
I haven't run into this particular enemy, so I'm not sure what would work best.  If you're just looking for ap 2 though, a single Harbinger of Despair teamed with a unit of Deathmarks makes a fairly strong argument against armor saves.  If you fly them in a Nightscythe you can put them down exactly where you need them to maximize the Cryptek's template weapon, and now thanks to the Deathmark rule you're wounding on 2's with an area of effect weapon that ignores enemy armor. 

Failing that, I'd say that the Destruction Crypteks are your best way to spam ap 2 firepower.  Heavy Destroyers are cheaper than before, but I still can't see myself fielding them, especially not with so many other nasty selections in the codex.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
I take 2 units of 3 Heavy Destroyers and a unit of 5 Wraiths plus Destroyer Lord in my list, as well as the usual 2x Annihilation Barges, troops etc. I actually find the Heavy Destroyers are ignored if I put them on flanks and opponents are struggling with the Wraiths and Destroyer Lord.

However, I'd imagine the best way to deal with the thing for me would be to ram the Wraiths and Destroyer lord into it whilst the Heavy Destroyers take out Battlesuits, the Barges and infantry take out the opposing infantry.

Basically, take out the supporting units to leave the Riptide unsupported. If I get an opportunity I'll kill the thing with the Destroyer Lord in assault, and laugh doing it!

Offline Galef

« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »
I've killed my share of Broadsides with Tesla Destructors.  Never underestimate weight of fire.

At the end of the day though, I don't think any army short of ImpGaurd can "out gun" Tau.  Our best bet is assault.

Scarabs might be a good(if risky) choice.  You'd strike at the same time (I think), get tons of attacks and all you need is 1 failed save to get rid of his.  You will probably loose all your Scarabs, but if you take the Riptide's save away it was worth it.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »
I haven't seen these but am reading about them all over the internetz. I believe the way to go is massed firepower as well. AP2 is too rare, and expensive for Necrons.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
I think there's a flaw inside the premise of the question. If a unit is powerful in one aspect, such as shooting, it's generally a bad idea to engage it in that manner.

For example, I don't search the Guard codex to find ways to out-melee an Assault Terminator squad... I find tactics to shoot them to ribbons, and learn to suffer losses in order to counter them.

In that regard, I do think your best bet is to go after them with Warscythes and Wraiths. For the [points] expense of the Riptide, I think you'd have a very hard time trying to outgun it. Even engaging it with something cheap, like some Scarabs, will tie it up for a couple of turns, preventing it from shooting.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
Scarabs could probably do a really good job in the long run with a bit of luck, even when they inevitably die. That beefy armour save won't matter for amphetamine parrot if a wound manages to slip through from them, after all.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
I wasn't sure of the toughness on a Riptide, so didn't want to suggest that the Scarabs could slip one through and get a justly deserved response to it. ;)

Assuming then that they can, if you get lucky with a swarm and sneak a wound through, they should be easy pickings for the rest of your army. If not, then at least it will probably be tied up for a few turns, due to low [?] number of attacks.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
The Riptide has standard MC S/T but the same crap WS/I/A as the other Tau, so I do believe that Scarabs are the way to go here. Sure, you may lose a base or two a turn, but you should be able to get an unsaved wound in well before they go down, and then you can shoot it with whatever you want.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Idaho

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:38 AM »
I had a thought we haven't considered. If we ignore the Riptide with the intention of assaulting it we have the problem of it's extreme range.

Most importantly I think we have to put pressure on it as we have to think about that reactor thing. If it doesn't need to use it to boost it's invulnerable save then it can use it for other things.

Ok I can't remember what they are but I'm sure they're terrible.

So bracketting the thing with Heavy Destroyers etc can force the opponent's hand.