News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1250pts list (new to Necrons)  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
1250pts list (new to Necrons)
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »
Okay, I apologise to anyone who repeatedly sees me posting up lists like I have the army-based attention span of a handicapped rodent. I'm sure I've posted something in nearly every board since 2013 kicked in.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've abandoned the thought of using Tau as my one shooting army (probably to many poster's annoyance after I clamoured for help), so I'm back to square one. Tried to have a pop at a starting list based off the Battleforce, but I really, REALLY didn't have a passable plan for it, so here we are.

HQ
Destroyer Lord
Sempiternal Weave

TROOPS
10 Warriors

10 Warriors

10 Immortals with Carbines

FAST ATTACK
4 Wraiths

HEAVY SUPPORT
Annihilation Barge

Annihilation Barge

2 Canoptek Spyders
Fabicator Claw Array

Lord sits with the Wraiths to beat people up, Barges float behind everything else as it all plods forward with the Array Spyder fixing any woopsies and... That's about it. Seriously, I'm lost here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:01:40 PM by Raktra »

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: 1000pts list (new to Necrons)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
Hmm.

One thing to note about Necrons in general is that our effective range is 24' with almost everything, meaning that you need to have some contingency plan for when your opponent decides to answer your mid-range aggression with a CC punch to the face.  From what you have here, it seems like your preferred answer is to punch back, which is fair enough and I wish you luck with it--Spyders have done decently well in my limited experience, and Wraiths sound like the bees-knees from what more new-dex savvy players have been saying.  You might consider finding some room for Scarabs in here since your Spyders would pump up the unit size for free, and the Scarabs themselves would provide you with a good tarpit unit in case you need to delay someone trying to cross that 24' too quickly. 

Another option you should take under consideration in terms of army direction is the obscene mobility currently available to your Warriors and Immortals.  Our transports are very good, and they're a great way to get your troops to objectives or to just generally sow terror among your enemies.  The Nightscythe is ridiculous, wielding a fantastic armament coupled with flyer status and the ability to cover an amazing amount of board-space before disembarking its soldiers.  The Ghost Ark is a more conventional sort of transport, and will move around the board more slowly, but with ten Warriors-worth of fire built into the tank, plus the passengers shooting out of it (it's open-topped), it provides a nice little gun platform for shooting your way up-field.

As for posting everywhere, I can say with some certainty that the Necron forum appreciates the attention.  It's been slow and I can't imagine anyone taking issue with a splash of activity.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:12:42 AM by Foxfire »

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1250pts list (new to Necrons)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »
Well, you were indeed right about it being a tad slow. Let's have a look at my list again then (and kick up the points value a tad).

HQ
Destroyer Lord
Sempiternal Weave
Mindshackle Scarabs

TROOPS
20 Warriors

9 Immortals (Blasters)
Night Scythe

9 Immortals (Carbines)
Night Scythe

FAST ATTACK
4 Wraiths

HEAVY SUPPORT
Annihilation Barge

Annihilation Barge

The Spyders felt a bit out of place, so more Immortals seemed a better deal. Took your advice on the transports, though they most likely won't be used as such, just a gunship (I know the Doom Scythe is better for this, but if I shoot at another flyer I lose out on the Death Ray shot, so...). Kind of didn't want to take the Destroyer Lord in this list, but I couldn't find another character that would fit in whilst keeping the Wraiths as a counter-attack unit. Just a shame Obyron can move as a Jump Unit. Thoughts on the shift?

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »
This is actually similar to the list I'm currently running, just more balanced in regards to melee.

Honestly I don't think you lose out on anything by taking Nightscythes over the Doomscyhe.  As impressed as I am by the Deathray, the fact is that you can almost field a third Nightscythe for the price of that single gun, and that third Nightscythe may be instrumental in helping you claim an objective or shoot down rival flyers.  Using them purely as gunships is alright, but there may come a time when you have an objective you need to grab (five out of six of the mission-types in the book use them) and a transport that can drop you off 36' away from your starting position is pretty darn useful. 

As for the Spyders, I saw them as justified before where you had your troops slogging across the field, as they could act as chaperones and give your opponent something to think about when he came zooming in, but with the Nightscythes taking your soldiers where they need to go I agree that they can't keep up and aren't pulling their weight babysitting your Warriors.

Overall I think this list looks really good after the change.  You have a lot of Tesla (great anti-infantry and anti-flyer, not to mention Overwatch punishment), and more than enough gauss anti-tank.  The Wraiths and Lord will probably be better attackers than counter-attackers, especially if you do end up utilizing your mobility fully.  Their saves and multiple wounds will make putting them away pretty difficult barring focused fire which their maneuverability can help to avoid, and their high strength+the warscythe will make them very effective anti-tank to boot.  A lot of flexibility here, I think that you'll be pleased with the list's performance.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:26:00 AM by Foxfire »

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »
Well the good news for me is that it won't take long to acquire and test the list now, as a friend has traded me the necessary (unpainted/ assembled) Warriors and Destroyer needed in exchange for Fire Warriors and a Crisis Suit, and my Ogres have managed to sell for a tidy £150, so I should soon have the funds to construct at least the basis of this least very easily.