News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: When should we draw the line? C'tan that is.  (Read 2929 times)

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
When should we draw the line? C'tan that is.
« on: August 2, 2002, 06:09:20 PM »
Well, I guess the title is somewhat misleading, but here it is.

A Nightbringer is like 360, and a deciever is like 300 (I don't have the codex in front of me, so these numbers are approximation)  But by how many points a game should be in order to have a C'tan EFFICIENTLY put in?  Like I'm thinking about a 2000 point game then it'll be good to put a nightbringer in, since your c'tan is not worth 1/4 of your army!

Another thing is, I'd rather put a Monolith first before I put a C'Tan in, since monolith is more everything killers, whereas C'Tan is more bigtime HQ vs. bigtime HQ type playing.  (ie. Abbadon vs. Nightbringer)

What do you think guys?  
SMiFSoNiaN

Night_Of_Necrons

Re:When should we draw the line? C'tan that is.
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2002, 01:44:12 AM »
ya i agree.i think i might get a nightbringer but just to paint and display. for the cost of nightbringer or deciever you could get like 20 warriors or somthin. i dont think c'tan are worth there value in points, but thats just my opinion.

-NoN :o

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2002, 11:59:15 AM »
But they are powerful...Just they are too costly in points.  Is the nightbringer one of the most expensive characters of the game (if not the most)?  But if you do get him, he'll be one hard d00d to kill! 5 wounds if i recall plus 4+ inv save!
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2002, 12:49:11 PM »
Well I play blood angels alot of the time and they tend to come to me stick nightbringer in the middle well thats a lot of dead Honour Guard, Death company and a very dead Dante!!!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Lecron

• I will consume all in my path
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2002, 03:05:30 PM »
Its thier stats that make them cost so much, however I think for that cost that they aught to make them have a faster movement rate. Thats what I think.

Offline HighlanderNick

• There can be only one!!
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2002, 02:18:57 PM »
Just a side point really, but the C'tan are special characters, however one can still be used without your opponents concent!  I don't know if this was a fault by GW, or they now are allowing special characters to be taken as standard HQ choices (without concent).  

Back to the C'tan, I would use a rule of thumb as SMiF said 2000+

Offline AceV53

« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2002, 08:59:30 PM »
It's been a long time since I've posted something on EldarOnline/40k.ca.  Anyways I agree, a Nightbringer would be better to bring in on 2000+ pt games. Otherwise the number of Necrons you have is just too small. If your opponent is able enough to get the necrons to phase out, well then adios Nightbringer! Although it may be helpful to bring him in against the Blood Angels...
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
-Steve Martin in Sergeant Bilko

Black

« Reply #7 on: August 7, 2002, 01:08:09 AM »
if u think the C'tan are exspensive play warhammer fantasy where most of the heroes cost somewhere between 500-1000 points (Archon for example is some where around 800pts)

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 7, 2002, 10:40:00 AM »
Heh, I used the Nightbringer in a 833 point game.  We rolled a Meatgrinder mission.  It was a 2500 point battle, 3v2 (I was on the 3 person team).  We were attackers.  So no chance of Phase Out because of the Sustained Attack rule.  My army list was:
-HQ-
The Nightbringer - 360

-Troops-
13 Warriors - 234

-Heavy Support-
Monolith - 235

This always happens whenever I bring up this game, someone will say "you only have 1 troop choice" but Attackers in Battle Scenarios only require one troop choice.  They also Require a Heavy Support.

Anyway, I was hoping that they will eventually release The Outsider and/or The Dragon.  The Outsider plays a big part in my Necron army's fluff, and having him in my army would be sweet.  And since the Nightbringer is only a shadow of his former self and is getting more powerful, they should represent that by upping his points and abilities in CA every 6 months or something.  Just an idea.  A 60 point difference between the weakest C'Tan and the former strongest C'Tan (though he could still be the strongest) seems odd to me.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2002, 03:20:19 PM »

Just a side point really, but the C'tan are special characters, however one can still be used without your opponents concent!  I don't know if this was a fault by GW, or they now are allowing special characters to be taken as standard HQ choices (without concent).  

Back to the C'tan, I would use a rule of thumb as SMiF said 2000+

Actually, I heard that in all current printing runs of all codexes, they've left out the opponent's permission stuff.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2002, 08:42:53 PM »
Yes thats true, no special character needs to have permission from the opposing player but there will be small points increases (1-25pts) and limitations.

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2002, 08:43:22 PM »
Yes thats true, no revised codex special character needs to have permission from the opposing player but there will be small points increases (1-25pts) and limitations.

Offline Cloud runner (brother Ezekiel)

• "Deathwing will be remembered."
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2002, 04:44:27 PM »
I play with a Nightbringer in my 1500p army. acctualy, it works really good. Cause it's so *** powerfull! Read my post, Nightbringer. But yes, i rather have the Monolith instead of the NB. Else i would loose, right? Phas out you know :P. Keep 40 Warriors in the Monolith. Hehe, 40 Warrirs in play from beggining. 80 warriors. :)
"Perhaps a favour. In honour of our dead, leave the suits the colour of
Deathwing. The deeds of our brothers should be remembered."

-brother Ezekiel to Brother captain Gabrielle

Niklas Kriig

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2002, 04:47:48 PM »
umm ok. Cloudrunner, i am sorry. Its like this, the post over this one, is acctualy mine :) . Cloudrunnger forgot to logg off his account when leaving this Cyber café, and then when i logged in with my account,  something bad must have happend. Dammet  *lol*