News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Competitive Tournaments... to be a nice guy or not?  (Read 489 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Competitive Tournaments... to be a nice guy or not?
« on: January 29, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »
This is something I've been pondering for a little while now.  When you are in a competitive tournament, how far do you push the limit of being a nice guy?  Does the answer change from round to round?

Reason I ask is that with Ritual of the Damned, my Dark Angels got a significant boost in their shooting.  One of the defences against it is to use Prepared Positions.  Where the issue comes is that Talonmasters give Ignore Cover to Ravenwing units.  When half my army is comprised of Ravenwing units that will benefit from this, is it bad form to stop my opponent from spending those Command Points?  Or is it expected that at a tournament, you follow the axiom of "Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."

On one hand, we as players will not stop our opponent from making a bad move or shooting the wrong target; so is it along the same lines that they are making a mistake with their command points?

Also, as I asked before, does the answer change depending on how late into the day it is?  Are you more likely to tell your opponent to not spend those command points in the first round than you are in the last round when you are playing for the overall win?  Does the answer change if you've been knocked out of contention?

*** Note:  I am asking from a competitive standpoint, so casual / friendly views don't really help out that much.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Competitive Tournaments... to be a nice guy or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 05:50:07 PM »
If you're playing competitively you are specifically trying to win. You shouldn't need to help your opponent. They should know how to play their army and should research how to play against others. That's on them. That's the whole point.

Edit: I didn't mean to imply to not answer your opponent's questions about what units do what or what abilities/stratagems they can do.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:14:08 PM by Partninja »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
I think it's good practice to try and prevent gotcha moments from happening. Winning though gameplay or list building is fine, but not through withholding information.

There are a lot of rules in the game, it's a good idea to make sure you're opponent is aware of what you're stuff does. You don't need to tell them they shouldn't use the stratagem, but you should make your opponents aware which units ignore cover.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 02:36:02 AM »
When showing him your list at the start, you can explain that Talonmaster grants ignore cover. I wouldn't remind him of it in the moment, but it's sportsmanlike to let him know of it before the game. It's up to him to make his decisions after that.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »
I didn't mean to imply to not answer your opponent's questions about what units do what or what abilities/stratagems they can do.