News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ulthwe Army List Section  (Read 7224 times)

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
Ulthwe Army List Section
« on: January 22, 2002, 09:33:27 PM »
okay...as this little thread suggests...you post ur ULTHWE list that you have and get ulthwe players to critique it!!! :)  meet ulthwe players...share ulthwe ideas....basically anything ulthwe (i think i've made myself clear!!!) have fun :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2002, 09:35:34 PM by dark_wind »
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
Re:Ulthwe Army List Section
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 11:03:19 PM »
1 Seer Council (compulsory headquarters): first Farseer w/ close combat weapon, shuriken pistol & fortune; second Farseer w/ close combat weapon, shuriken pistol & mind war; first Warlock w/ close combat weapon, shuriken pistol & enhance; second & third Warlock w/ close combat weapon, shuriken pistol & augment.

Black Guardian Storm Squad (compulsory troops): five Black Guardians w/ haywire grenades & one Warlock w/ shuriken pistol, witch blade & enhance.

Black Guardian Defender Squad (compulsory troops): six Black Guardians, one Heavy Weapon Platform w/ two Black Guardians & one Warlock w/ close combat weapon, shuriken pistol & conceal.

Dark Reapers (optional heavy support): three Dark Reapers.

*499 points out of a 500 point warhost*
You're all gonna die. Only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet or on your knees, begging? I ain't much for begging. Nobody ever gave me nothin', so I say let's fight it!

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 11:08:49 PM »
Here's a list that I'm playing with. Still havn't play tested it yet but I think it should be ok.

1500Pts  -   Ulthwé Army

HQ
+++

1 Avatar of Khaine @ 80 Pts
 Wailing Doom

1 Seer Council @ 302 Pts

1 Farseer Lael @ [41] Pts
      Witchscythe; CCW
      Ghosthelm [5]
      Runes of Witnessing [5]
      Mindwar [15]

1 Farseer Ulkosh @ [41] Pts
      Witchblade [15], Shuriken Pistol [1]
      Runes of Witnessing [5]
      Fortune [20]
      Warlock Kyval @ [31] Pts
           Enhance [15]

Warlock Ashlen @ [31] Pts
           Destructor [15]

Warlock Lyrec @ [24] Pts
           Singing Spear [18]; Shuriken Pistol  
           Augment [5]

Warlock Caladan @ [18] Pts
           CCW; Shuriken Pistol
           Augment [5]  

Warlock Mirr @ [13] Pts
           CCW; Shuriken Pistol

Warlock Baladar @ [13] Pts
           CCW; Shuriken Pistol

Troops
+++++

13 Black Guardian Defender Squad @ 187 Pts
 Shuriken Catapults

2 Black Guardian Grav Platform & Crew @ [50] Pts
      Shuriken Catapult (x2); Star Cannon (x1)

Warlock Lillis @ [33] Pts
      CCW; Shuriken Pistol

13 Black Guardian Defender Squad @ 187 Pts
 Shuriken Catapults

2 Black Guardian Grav Platform & Crew @ [50] Pts
      Shuriken Catapult (x2); Brightlance (x1)

Warlock Duval @ [33] Pts
      CCW; Shuriken Pistol
      Conceal [20]

11 Guardian Storm Squad @ 122 Pts
 CCW; Shuriken Pistol
 2 x Flamers [6]

Warlock Scorch @ [28] Pts
      CCW; Shuriken Pistol
      Enhance [20]

9 Dire Avengers @ 140 pts
 Shuriken Catapults

Exarch Lochlannach @ [32] pts
     Shuriken Pistol & Power Weapon [10]          
     Distract [8]

Elite
+++

10 Howling Banshees @ 189 Pts
 Power Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Banshee Mask
 Exarch Azarius @ [32] Pts
      Shuriken Pistol & Executioner [5]
      Aerobatic [8]

Fast Attack
++++++++

Vyper Squadron (1) @ 65pts
    Brightlance [15]

Heavy Support
++++++++++

Wraithlord Nimloth @ 125 Pts
 Flamer; Shuriken Catapult, EML [50]

Support Weapon Battery (2) @ 103pts
        Shadow Weavers
        2 crew with Shuriken Catapults
        Warlock Myrrh @ [13] pts
        CCW; Shuriken Pistol

Total Army Cost: 1500
Models in Army: 78

Pts        %            No.
HQ:        382        25           9
Troops    636        42           52  
Elite        189        13           10
Fast Att.   65         4               1  
Hvy Sprt.    228        15          6
« Last Edit: January 22, 2002, 11:09:59 PM by Farseer Lael »
Lael Treventhius.
Farseer of the Craftworld Treventhius Psychic Warhost.

Offline dark_wind

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2002, 03:17:43 PM »
Farseer Lael, i would recommend making larger squads of guardians..and just drop the storm squad in exchange for a guardian squad because you have banshees for close combat...also you cant have more than one heavy weapon platform for a single squad...also i think you should eliminate your warlocks simply armed with a ccw and a pistol...they are really no better than stormies...use these points to give your vyper a CTM...drop your avatar and dire avengers and get more guardians and a wave serpent to house your banshees..nuff for now...hope this helps!!!
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!

Offline dark_wind

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 03:30:12 PM »
chadthebad, i must admit making a good 500pt. Ulthwe Army is very hard because the seer council sucks up so many points...i suggest you drop the reapers and buff up your guardian squads...then make sure you have your h.w.'s be starcannons..they are IMO the best eldar weapon out there. otherwise....i think its pretty good..i possible try play with a higher point army like 1000pts+..thats where ulthwe really shine

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 06:21:39 PM »

also you cant have more than one heavy weapon platform for a single squad...

Errrrrrrrrrr they only have one each.

Also i think you should eliminate your warlocks simply armed with a ccw and a pistol...they are really no better than stormies...

As you noticed the only warlocks that do have a witchblade and singing spear are the warlocks in the seer council. The reason they are there is because the seer council chewes through army like nothing else.

use these points to give your vyper a CTM...

CTM is overrated for a vyper.

drop your avatar and dire avengers and get more guardians and a wave serpent to house your banshees..nuff for now

The whole idea is for the storm guardians to screen the banshees and the dire avengers for the seer council. While the fire base sits back and shoots things. Large guardian squads have become overrated to me now seeing I have had them taken out too easily.

...hope this helps!!!

Not really  ;D
Lael Treventhius.

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2002, 06:57:13 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not made of money so that has to be my army at the moment unless I use more guardians, I've got quite a few left over. Of course if I use more guardians I'll have hadrly anything to take down my opponents 3+ armour saves (Chaos). Also, he always uses a Dreadnought or Predator so the Bright Lance and Haywire Grenades are essential. Thanks for the help anyway.
You're all gonna die. Only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet or on your knees, begging? I ain't much for begging. Nobody ever gave me nothin', so I say let's fight it!

Offline Morsla

• WAU Exodite
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2002, 07:00:15 PM »
also i think you should eliminate your warlocks simply armed with a ccw and a pistol...they are really no better than stormies...

Yes, but for 5 points more they become invincible stormies...  for 13 points, you add 2-3 HTH attacks to th seer council, and they get the same re-rolled 4+ invulnerable save as the others. Warlocks are good value, and they bulk out the unit - plus, when you finally do take a casualty, you can take the wound on a warlock without losing one of your useful (and expensive) powers.

I like the list, although I think more guardians would be nice. I'm at a loss for places to draw the points from, though... so it seems okay like it is.
In the Grim Darkness of the Forty First Millenium,
there will always be more painting to do...

Offline dark_wind

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2002, 07:39:09 PM »
hey Lael....first of all...a wave serpent is a much better way to get your banshees into combat...much better than using stormies as fodder shields...and sorry about the misinterpretation on the heavies..i thought the 2 in front of it ment 2 of them and not 2 crew...i dunno why..and also IMO a CTM is not bad for a vyper it allows it to survive and not die by turn two..also i suppose if you want to use the dire avengers as a screen for the seer council that would be ok BUT U SHOULD HAVE SAID SO!!!! u just gave ur list...and not ur strategies...and one more thing..u shouldn't play ulthwe if you don't like guardians...

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!

Offline Morsla

• WAU Exodite
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2002, 09:24:32 PM »
Lael normally uses more guardians, from what I've seen of his other armies. This one is trying something a little different, and moving away from the tw max-size troops squads that everyone feels compelled to take these days, because of the RT guidelines.

I think it was a choice between a Dire Avenger squad, or a Wave Serpent for the Banshees. Personally, while I love Wave Serpents, I think that the Avengers could work well here.

Taking a wave serpent makes it too tempting to send the Banshees out a turn too early, which leads to a lot of problems - dead banshes, for a start. Having a pair of units advancing, each supported by a secondary unit (Avengers or Storm Guardians) allows the army to stay together much better. Plus, the combination of a screening unit and Fleet of Foot is enough to close with most enemies pretty fast - the only time it would be a major problem is against static shooty armies. In this case, a lone vehicle (I don't count the vyper) would be shot down long before the Banshees were in charge range, as the Wave Serpent would provide the only large target to all those guns...

There are more reasons than 42 BS4 shuriken shots per unit, behind choosing to play Ulthwe... and a unit of warlocks are a pretty good reason. Plus, with three squads of guardians, the army has more of these troops than most Codex: Eldar lists, and certainly more than most other craftworlds. I like it...

One point about the storm squad - the aim seems to be to get the Banshees in combat. And casualties caused by the guardians are a bonus. Why not give them Conceal or Embolden, to ensure that the squad stays in front of the Banshees for as long as needed?
In the Grim Darkness of the Forty First Millenium,
there will always be more painting to do...

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2002, 12:06:13 AM »
Why thanks Morsla, you have gotten my idea straight away. But I do admit I really should have stated my tactics when I posted this list, but oh well  :P

The tourny this army is designed for is not a RT so I didn't feel compelled to take huge guardian squads. I actually think I do have alot of troops, espically compared when I only have one Elite choice.

As much as I love the wave serpent, I only have one, and I feel to use it effectively I would need another. Sending banshees up un supported usally means they arn't there by the time the rest of the army gets there. Plus I have found fleet o foot as effective and quite cheaper.

I'm my 2000 pt army list I'm going to place my wraithguard in the wave serpent to actually do exactly what the banshees wouldn't be able to do, tie up enemy units.

Hrmmmmmmmm good point about the storm squad. I'll look into it. I have found in my 1000pt army, the storm squad gets ignored alot for bigger targets and usally gets to where it is going without much casulties. The flamers do come in handy and with enhance they survive alot longer in hth. But as I said, I'm still yet to play test this list so there could be some changes.

The only place I could draw points from I think is the vyper, but it comes in handy when I need a mobile vechile to take down those pesky guess / ordance weapons that sit up the back and take huge chuncks out of your army.

I conside the CTM is a good upgrade, but I meant that for 30pts on a basic 50pt model, your almost better off taking another vyper.
Lael Treventhius.