News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Point Inquisitorial Stormtroopers  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
1500 Point Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Got an idea for an army. Might be crazy, but probably will be fun. It's a tad spammy, but that's just because of the Militarum Tempestus codex.

The theme is a team of Scions tasked as the marines for the Black Ships--basically an Inquisitor's private shock troops.

HQ
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/Force Weapon, Rad Grenades, Hammerhand, Digital Weapons, Power Armor, 2x Servo Skulls (Warlord, =I= Detachment)

Tempestus Command Squad w/Medipack, 2x Grenade Launchers
--in Taurox Prime w/Gatling Cannon, Autocannon

Tempestus Command Squad w/Medipack, 2x Grenade Launchers
--in Taurox Prime w/Gatling Cannon, Autocannon

Elites
Henchmen Warband w/ 3 Crusaders (Power Axes), 3 Death Cult (power swords), 1 Priest (Power Maul), 2 Acolytes w/Flamers (=I= Detachment)
--in Valkyrie w/Door Bolters

Henchmen Warband w/ 6x Psykers, 1x Mystic (=I= Detachment)

Troops
10 Scions w/2x Plasma
--in Taurox Prime w/Battlecannon, Autocannon

10 Scions w/2x Plasma
--in Taurox Prime w/Battlecannon, Autocannon

5 Scions w/2x Melta

5 Scions w/2x Melta

Totals
1497 points
4 Scoring Units
50 Infantry, 5 Vehicles

The theory is to bring the Inquisitor in with the CC warband in via Valkyrie to deliver them where needed most (the trick is not getting them shot off the board when they arrive, but that's the scions' jobs). The melta teams drop in to kill tanks, etc. Keeping the Hellstrikes on the Valk for cost (makes the Valk super cheap in the =I= book) and that I might need to shoot something with a heavy missile sometimes.

Thoughts?

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
Re: 1500 Point Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think against competent opponents you will find this list struggles for a few important reasons.

The biggest one is that your Tempestus units are transported in what amounts to super-expensive Fast Rhinos (who for some strange reason have to pay through the nose for Smoke Launchers separately). Either you are going to get first turn and move up quickly and shoot, then promptly lose your wheels or go second and lose your wheels and First Blood. As I'm looking at this codex I really want Tauroxes to be good, but when you consider most of their cost comes from good weapons that they likely won't survive long enough to use they become a poor investment overall unless you take advantage of their full range to kite your opponents (which probably isn't in the best interest of the passengers).

Now Taurox Prime mounted Scions CAN work if you use the formation and keep them in reserve, using them with Allied Astra Militarum who hang back and hold objectives, using their Heavy Weapons and Leman Russ Tanks to hopefully get First Blood in the first turn.

Why not run your Scions in Valkyries instead?

I also think your Inquisitorial squad seems to be lacking in purpose. Effective Elite choices in any army have one very important general role - to be deadly enough that your opponent can't ignore them so he kills them instead of your Troops. This quality is what makes Riptides, Sternguard, etc. such good units. I understand you are going for a themed list... so perhaps you could make the IQ squad more focused and deadly in CC by giving them 6 Deathcult Assassins and 5 Crusaders with your Xenos Inquisitor instead?

Finally, considering how great the Tempestor Prime's orders are when used with Special Weapons it seems a bit of a waste to run the Command Squads with a small number of mediocre Grenade Launchers. A unit of Preferred Enemy Plasma guns dropping in by Valkyrie on Turn 2 is nothing to sneeze at...

Anyway, good luck on your list! It's an interesting theme, and combined with a good paint job it could be pretty enjoyable to play with.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »
I *would* run all Valkyries, but I believe that I can't actually go about it without using the Formation (and I don't want to use the Formation). Half my units need to start on the board, which puts half my Valkyrie-mounted squads on foot with empty Valks in reserve. I know that Flyers are an exemption to the 50% on the board rule, but the squads that use them as transports *aren't*, so far as I'm aware. Feel free to correct me.

I understand the aversion to Tauroxen, but there isn't much to be done about it, I fear. It's the only ride they get.

As for the =I= squad, they are quite killy in CC, methinks. Lots of power weapons, the Priest to make them tougher in CC, the Priest to knock the hell out of vehicles if need be, the flamers to give them something to do when they arrive, etc., etc.. Not a *lot* of units out there they can't kill (Terminators excepted, but these guys aren't for killing terminators). Besides, if I want them to charge *anything*, the idea is to make them appear weaker than they are. As it stands, this unit isn't tough enough to survive concentrated shooting, so the idea is to deliver them to a point on the battlefield where there are a lot of other targets.

As for the Command squads, I'm reticent to invest a ton of points into a unit that will die to a stiff breeze. If I'm providing Preferred Enemy Plasma Guns to anyone, it would be to another squad, rather than itself (also I'd just go for Twin Linked, anyway, if it was plasma I was looking to boost).

This certainly isn't the toughest list on the planet, I'll grant. I don't see taking tons of Valkyries as the magic bullet to make it better, though. Yeah, more reliable delivery, but significantly less firepower. I think the Tauroxen are better than they look. Yeah, they're going to die, but with terrain and clever deployment, I think the losses can be mitigated somewhat. Granted I'm going to blown off the board by Eldar and Tau, but for friendly games I think they'll do okay.

Besides, if I'm terrified of Tauroxen blowing up, I *can* start my guys on foot.

You're right in that the *best* way to use Scions is to team up with the IG. This is a theme list, though, so <shrug>.

Thanks for the feedback--I appreciate it. 

Offline D503

• 老外来了!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
I'm sorry, but even against my friendly Eldar lists you would loose all 4 taurox on turn 1 - even with night fighting.

Scions are only good as a flavour unit in another imperial army.  As an army by themselves, I have yet to see a single list that wouldn't get laughed off the table even in friendly play.

If you are going to be out-shot by Orks at range, you are doing it very, very wrong.