News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What is the advantage of collecting a wych cult!  (Read 876 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
What is the advantage of collecting a wych cult!
« on: May 30, 2005, 04:18:08 AM »
 I was just wondering how can a wych cult dish out as much damage as a kabal because I really like the concept of a wych cult but how do I put them into practice>
it was harry...

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
Re: What is the advantage of collecting a wych cult!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:21:38 AM »
Hmmm, I suspect this question has been raised before, somehow! ANyway,there are the obvious advantages in that you get Wyches as troops and as many Warp Beast Packs as you take units of Wyches! While Dracons and Archons are some of the most formidible characters in the game, Dracites and Archites exceed their maritial skill and would make short work of most Archons or Dracons...

The difficulty with Wych Cult is the limited access to the massed firepower warriors offer. It is a common moisconception that the SRs are almost useless but you miss them when you mainly have to rely on pistols instead! Of course, warriors bring Splinter Cannons and Dark Lances as well.

Basically, Wych Cult without warriors will have to rely on skimmers for its heavy weapons and everything else hasto be done in assault. I much prefer to use a Wych Cult with no warriors at all, but when I first started out I did take 2 or 3 warrior squads to help ease the transition and give me a half decent shooty option.

In these troubled times, where skimmers are flying coffins, the options have changed quite a bit. Nowafdays the all Raider Wych CUlt army won't work if you just plonk it on the table. You almost certainly need to use WWPs in order to consistently be successful with Raider heavy armies, particularly WYch CUlt (generally 7/10 Wyches die in a Raider crash).

The other alternative is to make only limited use of Raiders, perhaps having just 2 or 3 in the army and using them as a one way bus, quick to get out at the first available opportunity.

In both cases ypou will also want to consider the nice foot wych squad options. Believe me, on a table with 25% forest, your 18 Wych squad can walk towards the enemy using the cover to almost ensure a good half of them reach the enemy. As FoF is unaaffected nby terrain and they have the chance for 12" assault, WYches dont take too long to walk/run across a board to the enemy, often arriving in turn 2 or 3 even if the enemy falls back.

Foot Wyches require a pair of blasters as their will be times when they will be isolated and have an armoured threat to deal with. SHredders are completely useless/overpriced. I would completely eschew them.

A great little anti tank Wych squad is the "mini WYvch Ravager". This is five Wyches with 2 Blasters on a DL Raider. More pricey but with WWs they make a decent support squad and can be equipped with the pricey haywire grenades for the anti Monolith attack!

ALways take WWs, even on AT squads, they are well worth the investment.

I like to take all Wych CUlt, this means a Hellions squad as well as 1 or 2 Reaver units. RJBs always get 2 Bls and sometimes a PW/TH Succubus, Hellions always get a Punisher TH Succubus.

Because it's Wych Cult, I like to take at least 4 squads of Wyches (+ 2 Beast Packs). This means I want to do something for variety. Thus I might have one squad led by a Punisher/TH Succubus and make them my anti troop killers. Generally I do like the versatility of the Agonisers. So most of my Wych Succubi will get Agrs. As will my Archite.

On Wych Lords, it is almost pointless giving them jetbikes or Skyboards. Not least because it takes away their natural "dodge" save - and that's too handy to lose. If you consider, an Archite with SF and CDs will be far more powerful than a similarly equipped Archon. Archite will hit first and last longer - the SF is perfect anti shooting protection - hopefully by the time it pops you'll be in melee and still get those nice dodge saves! I like the AGoniser/SP/SF/CDs/TR/GTs/PG loadout. She can kill absolutely anything - always handy!

While I haven't played much Wych CUlt in 4th ed, I can see the major changes. You have also kindled my interest, Im curious to try a few games with Wych CUlt now...
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:53:24 AM »
 Thanks and as I said I really like the concept so I think I may give a wych cult a go
it was harry...

Offline Zucrous Shadowhelm

• I have transformed my fear and now it serves me
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2005, 12:44:57 AM »
I have one thing to say for the wych cult..... Skin.
“You are the Emperor’s finest; his word is our strength, his might our sword, and our faith in him, our shield against all enemies. We are the Emperor’s Crusaders, and through us his will is done.”