News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ???New to board and hobby..little help please..  (Read 975 times)

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
???New to board and hobby..little help please..
« on: July 21, 2002, 11:04:01 AM »
just stumbled onto site, which is really cool. have a few questions:

define: fluff, fluffiness etc

any good mail order/trading sites?....what is usual "rate " on trades/ buying used/primed models (ie 50% of new cost?)  

how much dough should i expect to spend(stupid question huh, i know the answer is Too much!)

please explain cross fire rule(rb is shady)

anyone near detroit who wants to whip up on a noob?

Offline zephyrmage

• We are your screaming death.
im pretty nnew to this too but...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 11:16:33 AM »
im pretty nnew to this too but i can answer most of your questions.
<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
define: fluff, fluffiness etc

fluff is the background story to the whole 40k universe.  its all the fictional stories that make it much more interesting than people fighting.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>
any good mail order/trading sites?....what is usual "rate " on trades/ buying used/primed models (ie 50% of new cost?)  

the best retailer i found so far is www.wargamesworksho p.com which has something like 20% discounts on most things.  if you do look at them, check out their army deals, especially the "huge army deals", they have huge discounts.
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>
how much dough should i expect to spend(stupid question huh, i know the answer is Too much!)

for a 1k-1,5k point force probably 200-300 dollars depending on race, how many models, and what points you are looking at.  this is just what i estimate to be, it could be different.  you also need to buy paints and glue and whatnot, but that shouldnt be more than 30 bucks to get you started.  you will undoubtedly want more units and probably more armies later, though, but thats for draining later paychecks :-)
<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
please explain cross fire rule(rb is shady)

crossfire is rule that says 'when a unit is forced to retreat into an enemy unit is is completely destoyed.'  this is v3 rules and simplified, but the basic idea.  when units fight in close combat, there is ussually a winner, and the loser has to retreat.  if the loser retreats into an enemy unit they are completely destroyed, like being cut down in the crossfire.  no where to hide.  hope that nswers the question.  if not, im sure someone else knows better than me.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
anyone near detroit who wants to whip up on a noob?

i live near cleveland, so i cant help you here, sorry :-)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

so, there you go.  have fun!

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
Re: ???New to board and hobby..little help please..
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 11:20:53 AM »
thanks......go browns

Offline Vincedis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • The eye of God, or the eye of terror?
Re: ???New to board and hobby..little help please..
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 02:10:34 AM »
i live in south bend IN which is about 3hrs away from detroit. there are a lot of good players down here but i know for a fact that ther are some good places to play there in detroit. in fact there is a games store in a suburb of detroit (just west of down town i think) that holds the big magic tournaments. i remember seeing a lot of good terrain and watching people play between rounds of the last PTQ i went to there.

the best site for just flat out buying warhammer stuff (eg. not ebay) is www.chaosmailorder. com they always have stuff at 20% off retail and they have 3 or 4 armies a week that go 'on sale' and those are 30% off. right now the tau are 30% off as well as some others and the dark eldar go on sale starting the 23rd. the store i play at happens to run the mail order web page but to get the savings you need to order the stuff through the website. i know its silly but i have to pay retail if i walk in the front door and get 30% off if i order it online.

if you look around on ebay and are patient and don't give up easily you can get most things 30-50% off retail and the DE warriors you can get for about 50 cents a fig if you try.

good luck and welcome to the game :-)
would you like to be, err... SEE my trophy rack?

'ard boyz tournament rules http://us.games-workshop.com/news/events/other_events/ardboys/default.htm

Dark Eldar Harly
http://www.agisn.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

bell of lost souls fan site http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/