News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Ninja Project (Mostly Eldar - sometimes other dudes)  (Read 9756 times)

Offline Kora

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: The Ninja Project (Mostly Eldar - sometimes other dudes)
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
I had actually debated on ordering those myself, as the sculpts are really nicely done and they fit in so naturally to the official design aesthetics.   I just debated on it and went for the GW ones incase I play at the store.  I managed to get myself the wargames female warp spider exarch which I am using more as a autarch than the exarch. 

That is a bummer on the post and the bubbles, makes you wonder if they are resin or GW's finecast material.   They could have just been rushed poured but still, you would hope for better quality when it arrives. 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 06:26:38 AM »
Wow! What a haul! Super jealous... those sculpts are amazing. How many did you get? Looks like 30! Any idea how you are gonna paint them? Unique Aspect colors or matching colors for your Craftworld? Can't wait to see these painted up and also see how they perform in games. I'm very intrigued
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 06:40:55 AM »
Can't wait to see what those Spiders come out looking like. They really are amazing sculpts. It's such a shame that you've got to work with them to bring them up to scratch though.

Also, I'm loving that Fire Prism. Great idea on the dual cannon.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »
Overall happy with them. Taking a break from my tedious Shining Spears conversion to work on these.
Good to see these models finding their way all over the world :) What I love about them is that they are very true to both scale and the distinct GW overall visual style of all Eldar, while still retaining all clearly recognisable Spider features.

Regarding the sculpt, what I noticed while assembling mine was that the shoulder sockets seem a bit too deep. So I added a little Milliput to the bottom of each shoulder socket, so that the 'balls' don't sink too deep into them, making the shoulders look a little broader.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Wow! What a haul! Super jealous... those sculpts are amazing. How many did you get? Looks like 30! Any idea how you are gonna paint them? Unique Aspect colors or matching colors for your Craftworld? Can't wait to see these painted up and also see how they perform in games. I'm very intrigued

I ordered two sets of 5 for a total of 10. The Exarch comes with all three gun options (spinner, dual spinners, rifle) as well as blades, two head options, and a cape (I probably won't use the cape but use it on another model).

They will probably be painted very close to their traditional aspect color as their black, red and white pallet matches my army pallet.

Overall happy with them. Taking a break from my tedious Shining Spears conversion to work on these.
Good to see these models finding their way all over the world :) What I love about them is that they are very true to both scale and the distinct GW overall visual style of all Eldar, while still retaining all clearly recognisable Spider features.

Regarding the sculpt, what I noticed while assembling mine was that the shoulder sockets seem a bit too deep. So I added a little Milliput to the bottom of each shoulder socket, so that the 'balls' don't sink too deep into them, making the shoulders look a little broader.

Thanks for the heads up. I just got done trimming, washing and organizing the first five.

I think I'm going to use some left over drop pod bits (all the stuff that goes inside) on their bases to help emphasize their agile/mobile/animated look.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
I think I'm going to use some left over drop pod bits (all the stuff that goes inside) on their bases to help emphasize their agile/mobile/animated look.
Very good idea.
You'd also want to pin them to the bases, as most of them are balancing on the ball of one foot.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
Those 3rd party Warp Spiders are really sweet! Haven't come across them before. Just makes me wish GW would pull their finger out and release some plastic Aspects already...

Can't wait to see them painted :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
Just a little WIP update. OT at work leads less time for when I get home (too tired)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »
G'day Partninja!
They're coming along nicely, mate. I like the basing as well. OT means more money for models... Be well!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
The drop pod bits on the bases are looking great!
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »
Sweet! I used drop pod bits too for my Spiders. I used the drop pod "wings" to give a cool angled perch for my counts-as Spider Exarch (and my Fire Dragons too). These models are so awesome... can't wait to see some paint on them. Keep rocking Ninja these guys are gonna look great!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Some goodies showed up today

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »
Oh, my!
You will be busy, mate. Jealous as all get-out... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 01:40:28 AM »
oh man, a bonesinger... looks cool!
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
Bonesinger and Banshee-masked Autarch. Great minds! Mine have just arrived too ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #35 on: December 3, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
1500 point get today. Trying an all Biel-tan list this time. Want to see what mass shuriken will do.

-Biel-Tan
Farseer Skyrunner - Executioner, Mindwar(130)
Spiritseer - Protect/Jinx (45)
5x Dire Avengers - Exarch 2x Catapults (64)
5x Dire Avengers - Exarch 2x Catapults (64)
-Wave Serpent - Twin-Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Vectored, Stones (154)
20 Guardian Defenders (160)*
10x Striking Scorpions - Scorpion’s Claw (152)*
-Biel-tan-
Warlock Skyrunner  - Spirit Stone of Anath’lan - Quicken/restrain (70)
3x Windriders - Shuriken Cannons (84)
3x Windriders - Shuriken Cannons (84)
5x Shining Spears - Star Lance (157)
-Biel-Tan
Autarch Skyrunner - Banshee Mask, Laser Lance, Fusion gun (125)
Vyper - 2x Shuriken Cannon (70)

EDIT:

So I lost. I lost due to some tactical error on my part, but mostly because the objective and deployment type we drew from the open war cards played RIGHT into my opponent's strengths. Harlequins are very powerful due to their speed. We roll the deployment where you play the long way of the table and there was no dead zone in the center. The objective was 3 markers in each deployment zone. As soon as you controlled one, it went away. You have removed the other opponents markers first wins. Even with the markers as far back I could put them, and bubble wrapping as best I could, the sheer distance the Harlies can move-advance-assault put me at a disadvantage. My opponent also went first, again (we're still using old rules as our chapter approved book shows up later this week). He was also really good at making 4++ saves. Very frustrating.

Some notes:

I don't think Biel-tan is very good, even if I faced an army to make better use of the my blade storm rolls. I didn't feel like I even got to reroll enough 1's to make it worthwhile.

Scorpions FAILED to shadowstrike and charge again! And I even used the stratagem where I only needed a 6" charge (rolls a 4+1)! I should have saved an extra CP to reroll the one bad roll (I was on my last two) and made a poor judgement in spending 1CP to save a windrider earlier on. Wouldn't have mattered in either case as I wouldn't have claimed my opponents objectives fast enough anyway. Just sad they keep failing charges. I'm not sure how people are being so successful with their 9" charges...

Autarch continues to be a beast on his own though. Wrecked a vehicle single handedly. Probably the only exceptional roll I made all game.

Farseer with Executioner and Mindwar put out a lot of mortal wounds. He killed a whole 6-man troupe on his own getting a lucky 6 mortal wounds from Executioner, and almost punking a shadowseer with Mindwar.

All of my units worked as intended, for the most part. Just he was making his crucial invulnerable saves and had way more speed. Their built in hit-and-run is also extremely annoying. I think the Harlies as a stand alone army are quite under rated. At least semi-competitively.

Not much more to say as I lost turn two. My opponent agreed I played almost to the best of my ability. The few tactical error I made wouldn't have mattered.

I think Biel-tan is best served for just a specialized smaller detachment if you needed to leverage the rerolls without wanting them to be assisted by an HQ (autarch bubble, guide) or spending CP (black guardians).

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #36 on: December 3, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
G'day Partninja!
Loved this style of battle report, mate. Give the list then the outcome. I like it. Sounds like all the bad roles were a big factor in your loss. There's a bloke in our circle that seems to pull out 6's whenever he wants. We call him Mr Yahtzee. Thanks for the heads up... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #37 on: December 4, 2017, 07:41:42 AM »
Man you are lucky... I wish I could play against Harlies. Its a non-stop Imperial parade where I live. I think Harlies are EXCELLENT. Totally under rated... one of the more lethal CC armies out there and damn hard to get to grips with invulns and shooting modifiers all over the place. Their Chapter Approved buffs are really nice as well.

Yeah I like that bat-rep style as well. Thinking of doing something similar just to save on time!

About the Scorpions... yeah I dont trust that 9" charge at all. Thats why I'm running the Shroudshift Warlock/Spiritseer + Quicken with them. At the same time I think there was a major missed opportunity with the CW dex to give each of the Aspects a stratagem. Something re-roll charges would've been really huge... for Scorpions I was hoping for a -1 to hit in cover or something along those lines. Oh well.

Anyway great stuff Ninja. Harlies are a tough match-up and sometimes you just cant beat blazing hot dice. Still looking forward to those Warp Spiders... and more bat-reps. Thanks bud

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #38 on: December 4, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
Nice BatRep Ninja. Sounds like anyone would have had a tough time against a hot rolling opponent and that particular mission. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Bonesinger. Mine arrived too, but he's not exactly at the front of the queue for painting...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #39 on: December 5, 2017, 10:37:20 AM »
Harlies are actually quite strong, there's no arguing about that.

I'm not sure how people are being so successful with their 9" charges...
They aren't :) It's just that sometimes people get lucky and prefer to (or rather are subconsciously inclined to) remember that one occasion rather than all other less lucky ones. You can't be successful with a charge that has 28% chance to succeed, unless you're using loaded dice  ;)