News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Lion Returns!  (Read 579 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
The Lion Returns!
« on: March 29, 2023, 12:49:49 PM »
The model is awesome and the stats for Lion El Jonson have been released!
Thoughts?

My initial thought is that he's a bit...ridiculous? I mean, I feel that about all the Primarchs, but 20 attacks from one model? I mean COME ON!

I feel like this kind of stat-bloat is *all over* the game and it's one of the major issues I hope 10th fixes. There's no call for such silliness.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
Re: The Lion Returns!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 01:26:49 PM »
I agree with you that the model looks amazing.

I also think you're right about the 20 attacks.  I think the designers said to themselves, "It's ridiculous, but who cares, he's getting new stats in 3 months anyways, so let's go nuts."  :D

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 03:50:54 PM »
It looks great, but overall I'm wary of the whole primarch return thing. It's inevitable though, so might as well enjoy it as much as I can. :P

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 05:15:10 PM »
It looks great, but overall I'm wary of the whole primarch return thing. It's inevitable though, so might as well enjoy it as much as I can. :P

I don't mind that they're back, but I never liked the whole "they're invincible GIANTS" thing taken literally.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 10:37:09 PM »

I don't mind that they're back, but I never liked the whole "they're invincible GIANTS" thing taken literally.
To be fair, he's only got a 2+/4+.  I'm interested to see what the rest of his rules are, though.  Yeah, the ten base attacks are insane (don't forget that he gets Shock Assault). I would have been fine with the 10 attacks and just his smash profile, to be honest.  Even that feels excessive, but I am definitely not complaining
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 10:40:35 PM »
Just how large is your erection right now?  ;)

It's a lot and I'm on team beslubber off Primarchs as they're not necessary. However, least he's an old crotchety geezer which is identifiable.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:08:48 AM »
To be fair, he's only got a 2+/4+.

This statement - lamenting what was once the best defensive stats in the game as too weak - is proof that the game is totally off the rails.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 04:19:38 PM »
Just how large is your erection right now?  ;)

Dude... I went through sooooo many pairs of shorts when the model was revealed  ;D

To be fair, he's only got a 2+/4+.

This statement - lamenting what was once the best defensive stats in the game as too weak - is proof that the game is totally off the rails.
The last time it was the best defensive stat in the game was 4th edition.  That was also an era where the 2+ was only negated by the strongest of weapons.  Now, weapons that were AP3 and wouldn't have negated the 2+ save are now AP-2 and reduce the 2+ to their 4+ invulnerable save.

GW has been moving away from 3++ saves for a while now.  The only two models that still maintain it are Draigo and Guilliman (as far as I know).
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 10:31:41 PM »
The rules dropped today, and I must admit that I am a little disappointed.  https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/b4fH6GbUcsq3HetQ.pdf

Yes, he is a combat monster.  If he goes first, he can and will kill everything around him.  But there is also just so much wrong with him.
  • His buff aura to Dark Angels is a slightly better combination of Captain and Lieutenant, and it's only better because it can work with characters.
  • No CP bonus for being the greatest battlefield tactician of the Imperium?  Azrael, his Chapter Master, is a better tactician?
  • Inner Circle, while fluff, is only a detriment to him as it means there is a 1/36 possibility he will not fall back from combat should you ever wish that to happen
  • As a Monster, Inner Circle doesn't give him Transhuman because he isn't infantry
  • His Warlord trait only giving one unit an extended HI seems kind of weak, to be honest.  I would have been happy with him getting any of the traits in the codex... or getting multiple like many Supreme Commanders do.
  • Forestwalk isn't as great as people make it out to be.  Yes, it is a more reliable deep strike to get in to combat, but it is far too easy for your opponent to control the table and dictate where the Lion comes in. 

The one thing I do find funny is that he has the Supreme Commander keyword, but Guilliman doesn't.  So, while the Lion is a Supreme Commander, he will pass on being the Warlord to Guilliman... even though he isn't a Supreme Commander.  Even better, is that you can only take 1 SC in an Ark of Omen detachment, which means you can fit both primarchs in like the cheese eating git that I am ;D
I knew I had fans!!!