News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Finally building a list but have a few questions?  (Read 568 times)

Offline Deus Mortem

• Everything you've been told is a LIE!
Finally building a list but have a few questions?
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
Hello Guys & Gals,
I just got my Nid army in the mail, all I can say is wow. :o But after going through the codex from cover to cover I have a few questions?

1) Is it worth given a Flying Tyrant any Psy. powers?
He'll have a bonesword/whip & ScythingTalons for sure so I don't have to worry about catalyst.

2) Are spinefists any good vs. a fleshborer for gaunts? I was thinking of running 2 12man Sqds. of 1&1
each for screening my Hormagaunts.

3)When using WarpBlast on Zoanthropes do I have to roll to hit when using the 24" stat line, or do I
auto hit? If roll, must I also roll to hit after taking a Psy. test when using the 2nd stat line?

After I get these questions cleared up, I'll be ready to post my list for 2 upcoming events at my local GW.

Any help as always would be greatly appreciated!!!! ;D

Offline Scalu

• Craftworld Zaitor / Splinter Fleet Whiteclaw
    • Campaign Maps
Re: Finally building a list but have a few questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »
Hi Deus Mortem,

For your third question, you have to roll to hit with the warp blast.  :(

Here are some of my opinions on your first two questions.

1) Most people get Scything Talons twice on their Tyrant for the extra attacks, and you rarely see the bonesword/whip combo any more.  It's always worth it to get the extra power I find.  If nothing else, Psychic Scream can be fun.  I think Warp Field is one of the most common choices through to give you that bit of added protection.

2) Fleshborers are better than spinefists in general.  They have the added bonus of being able to hit AV10 vehicles.   However, if you are just planning on getting a bunch to close with the enemy and tarpit them, the cheaper the better.  ;)  I usually have both in my army.
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
1850 pts Tau army assembled and painted in 1 month!

Offline coredump

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »
1) It can be. Warp Field on a flyrant. SotW can be fun. I wouldn't use psy scream unless you have a number of them going. (via zoans) Warp blast on a scything flyrant, or scything walkrant... but I don't recommend it.

Also, if you are giving the HT wings, then I suggest going with 2x STalons, or 2x TL Devourers.
If no wings, then either 2x Tl Dev, or a Venom cannon and something else.

lash whip and bonesword look really cool... but they aren't a great weapon choice.

2) I recommend fleshborers over spinegaunts. They are just much better for the price. Even if you want to tarpit, you will likely end up shooting once or twice.
Also, 12 is not really a large enough brood to be effective, shooting or CC. You really want at least 16.   12 can be used, but at that point they really are a suicide unit.
There is no real use in trying to screen HGaunts. First, the 'screen' is almost as expensive as the HG, second, the HG are going to get into CC by the second turn anyway, and are as fast as the screen. You would have to slow down the HGs to use the screen.
Last, a screen doesn't do much, since a simple target priority roll lets them ignore the gaunts and shoot the HGs anyway.

As stated above, either stat line requires a to hit roll. The second line also requires a psy test.

In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
You have I 5, and I 6 is only a cheep upgrade away... - you should be hitting first anyways and so the benifit of the bonesword is negligable....

The lash whip is alright, but your best way to reduce the enemy attacks is to kill the models. Thus an extra attack would serve you better here, hence the extra scything talon.

Now, you can not fleet, and you are moving 12 each turn anyways, you may desire to shoot. so take a warp blast. Or you may find that your opponent enjoy filling your tyrant with more lead than a number 2 pencil - so a warp field would be handy here. Going up against psycher heaver armies? take shadow in the warp -it'll screw with them in a rather fun way. Or, are you playing an army that can match your speed, and you don't want to be charged? You already have the horror - now reduce their changes of passing it to charge you - psychic scream.

I typically can find a power to use, the most common being warp field and warp blast.

I like to run my tyrant as such:
BioMorphs: acid maw, A glands (I), Toxin Sacs, Winged, Toxic Miasma,  x2 Scything Talons, Warp Blast - 194 pts

Alternatively if I have a bunch of point to kill (2000 + pts):
BioMorphs: Acid Maw, A glands (I), A glands (WS), Flesh Hooks, Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma, Winged, x2 Scything Talons, Warp Field - 229 pts

or conversley, if running her in a small game (500 - 750 pts):
BioMorphs: Toxin Sacs, Winged, x2 Scything Talons - 143 pts

This gives me 6 attacks on the charge and I find that she is beautiful at destroying enemy armor (but dont hold to much stock in that - I am amazing at killing tanks - the dice gods love me, what can I say  ;))

as for the Fleshborers, rember they are str +1, which means that your lowly guants can get a str 5 gun, re rolling if failing to wound... :o

EDIT: Arg! coredumo beat me to it...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:01:21 PM »
1. I almost always have Warp field on my Flyrant unless I'm playing under 1500 points.  He attract's a lot of fire and frequently not that much is AP2.  I find my Flyrant rarely has the time out of combat to bother with Warp Blasting anything.

2. Spinefists are more effective against GEq's (Guard Equivalents) that Fleshborers.  However, the Fleshborer is better against everything else and can glance light vehicles and back armor.  Win.  Do not give your Gaunts Toxin Sacs.  Higher strength actually reduces the efficiency of Living Ammo, which you're getting for free anyway.  And the cost goes through the roof.

Scalu handled three already.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...