News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathwatch Kill Teams and Primaris Marines  (Read 2496 times)

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
Deathwatch Kill Teams and Primaris Marines
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
Total speculation here, but the announcement of Deathwatch getting a new codex included this statement:
The Deathwatch are being reinforced with some exciting new content including mixed units of Primaris Space Marines and specific Stratagems

This let me to wonder whether new codex will have two Troops choices: Kill Team and Primaris Kill Team, or if it will have a single Kill Team entry that lets you mix-and-match Primaris and non-Primaris units together.

From a fluff perspective, given Bobby G's decree of "Thou shalt accept these Primaris marines, and thou shalt fight alongside them," from a fluff perspective I really want it to be the latter option. Being able to drop a Reiver or Aggressor into a Kill Team along with a Biker and a Terminator just sounds fun.  Also, having that many options and special rules in a single unit would definitely secure the Kill Team as the single most complex unit to build in all of 40k.

But the way the Primaris marines have been pretty heavily segregated in the rules so far, plus the wording of "mixed units of Primaris Space Marines" makes me think they'll continue to be separated, and we'll have the amazingly-customizable Kill Team as it exists now, and a Primaris Kill Team which will only have access to Intercessors, Aggressors, Hellblasters, Inceptors, and maybe Reivers (though with Scouts being absent from the standard Kill Team options I wouldn't be surprised if Reivers were also axed).

So what does everyone else think? Are you hoping for a smorgasboard Kill Team that can field everything from the Primaris and non-Primaris options together in a single unit, or would you prefer having the Primaris Kill Team be its own separate thing?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Deathwatch Kill Teams and Primaris Marines
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
I just hope that primaris marines can use special ammo.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
I just hope that primaris marines can use special ammo.

And can ride in transports! Please God!

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
Yeah, it would be nice to put kill teams in drop pods again and not need to sacrifice having a Terminator or Assault Veteran.  And if the Corvus can carry Primaris models... yeah, that would be pretty great.

I feel like DW Intercessors will probably get access to special issue ammunition.  It's a pretty iconic piece of DW kit, and I can't think of any good reason not to let Bolt Rifles use it. Though when I mentioned the idea of the extra increased range on a bolt rifle to my Tau-playing brother his response was "No, only we [Tau] can have line infantry with that kind of range!"

What would be super-great (and highly unlikely) is if any weapon with the "bolt" word in the name (except perhaps the heavy bolter) got access to special issue ammunition. I'm looking specifically at Storm Bolters and Hurricane Bolters.  Imagine DW terminators who could throw out 24" Assault 2 special issue bolt rounds.  Or the Corvus or Land Raider Crusader getting that extra range and stopping power.  I'm 100% not expecting this to happen, but I can dream, right?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
I just hope they fix the point costs, as right now they are only viable in PL games.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
They did fix some of the points costs with the Chapter Approved update. At the very least they aren't gouged on storm shields for non-characters anymore.

Something else I'd like to see that I just thought of: Some additional named characters. At the very least, Chaplain Cassius and Librarian Natorian would be nice, since they already have models.

The big running trend with the new codices seems to be faction-specific special rules (stratagems, detachment-wide special rules). I'm curious how they're going to pull that off with Deathwatch. Will we have some named watchtowers with special equipment and rules (and maybe characters)?

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
I just hope they fix the point costs, as right now they are only viable in PL games.

In pretty much every codex that has been the biggest change.  The rules do not change much, but the points have.  Especially for Imperial armies.  I mention Imperial because I don't know what the situation is for the Tau.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
This just in: Deathwatch pre-orders go up next weekend.

In the announcement is a brief mention of "Fortis Kill Teams" described as "mixed formations that allow you to combine the strengths of Intercessors, Reivers, Aggressors and Inceptors into a cohesive and powerful whole," which sounds like they're going with the slightly disappointing route of having separate Primaris and non-Primaris kill teams, rather than letting you mash everything together in a single unit.