News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How do you equip your tanks  (Read 1724 times)

Offline KingofBattle

How do you equip your tanks
« on: April 2, 2002, 11:44:27 AM »
I am wondering how you equip your tanks. I currenlty have a basic Leman Russ, a Chimera and a Basilisk. On the Basilisk I put a pintle mounted bolter, not for effectiveness, but for looks. Now as far as the Leman Russ is it worth giving it sponsons with bolters or not. I plan on using the tank as a sort of mobile pillbox as I plan on playing the majority of my games defensively. My Armored Fist Chimera will get the FIST team in position and then just shoot all available weapons. So knowing this should I spend the extra 10 points on a pintle mounted Hvy bolter or not. If I may take this even further, how about hunter killer missles, are they worth it? In short, how do you guys equip your armored vehicles? Thanks for the help .

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
Re:How do you equip your tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 2, 2002, 01:20:58 PM »
well FIRST of all its a pintle mounted STORM bolter, which is different from a heavy bolter.

ok the equipment depends on the game you play. in a mechanized infantry u would give your chimeras rougth terrain mods, because they will be moving around a lot.

some things are specialized, such as the one i mentioed above, some are more general.

pintle mounted storm bolters can be found on most taks - they are very useful, because you can move max range and still shoot, plus u can shoot with em if you shoot with ordnance and other weapons, even if you moved. its a pretty ok weapon at 24" range and two shots

smoke launchers are useful too if you want to dash through open terrain in one turn - u turn em on, move the full 12" and its like you get cover - so all penetrating hits are glancing. u arent allowed to shoot, but who cares - you moved!

hunter killer missile is also seen on many imperial tanks. basically its a´just a way to get a shot out of a rocket launcher that has unlimited range - this is a good thing. u can take it, if you need extra fire power. also i think you dont need line of sight, so that means you can get troops from behind cover (but im not sure)

the other upgrades are more specilized - i.e. searchlight for night missions etc.

grim

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2002, 03:02:20 PM »
Couple problems here Grim...
Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter: Counts as an Extra Storm Bolter and may be used in addition to other weapons the vehicle can fire. So you can't fire it if you can't fire any other weapons. And Ordnance forego EVERY other weapon. So you can only move 6" and fire the Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter, and you can't if you fire Ordnance. That's the way I read it. I checked again in my Codex, and it's a bit hazy about moving full distance, but I know Ordnance forego ALL other weapons. (If you can aim and fire a Storm Bolter while the Battle Cannon kicks, why can't you fire the Heavy Bolter?)
hunter Killers do need line of sight. It's the Tau missiles that don't need line of sight.

As for equipping tanks, it's part effectiveness, part personal taste. I don't like having Sponson Heavy Bolters on my Leman Russ tanks, because you're either firing the battle cannon, or moving and firing the LasCannon, or moving and not firing at all. But for an Exterminator or Conqueror, I definantly put Sponson weapons. For my Gryphon, I'm putting no upgrades whatsoever, and my Manticore is the same way. One of my Chimeras has Smoke Launchers, but I never use them, as I play a defensive game and would prefer to get the shots off over moving. The other Chimera is my Dakka Bunker. Heavy Bolter Turret, Heavy Bolter Hull, Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter.
As for SearchLights... I pay for the two Searchlights in my army EVERY time! Why? Because with Smoke Launchers it balances to 5 points, which is nice, and it's hard to fill 2 points in an Armoured Company ^_^ I laugh every time a Night Fight comes up, because I HAVE Searchlights.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Squiggle

• Elven Spellsinger
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2002, 03:30:05 PM »
First of all definitly take the pintle stormie. It has killed the oddest things! One time it fragged a zoanthrope. Anyway hunter killers are interesting if you get lucky you can laugh as your opponents 255 point land raider crusader dies the first turn of the game! Also sponsens are nice but don't rely on them too much especially on an ordanance tank. on your basilisk give it a hull mounted heavy bolter and stormie and make the earthshaker guess so you can sit back out of site and lob shells and whenever anyone gets too close you blast them with your bolter rounds!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
-Douglas Adams