News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer's Codex Reveal Preview!!!  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Warhammer's Codex Reveal Preview!!!
« on: September 12, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »
So... noticed that there was no thread created for the new previews today. Which surprised me!! There were a metric *ton* of reveals today for Space Marines and Necrons, and even more so for flavors of marines!!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/12/the-codex-show/

It all looks really amazing to be honest!

What was revealed:

Heavy Intercessor Captain
Heavy Intercessors
Eradicators MP Kit
Assault Intercessors MP Kit
Bladeguard MP Kit
Stormspeeder MP Kit

Death Guard Sup
New Death Guard Lord
Blood Angels Sup
Space Wolves Sup
Deathwatch Sup

Forge World Compendium

Bunches of Necron stuff.

Seriously, if you haven't checked it out yet, go to the link and please do!

And then, discuss!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Warhammer's Codex Reveal Preview!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »
Three things made me excited.

1) Bladeguard being confirmed to be getting the Deathwing Keyword

2) The new speeders having the Ravenwing rule

3) Heavy Intercessor Executor Bolt Rifles. Combine that with Dark Angels getting a bonus to hit and I'm drooling ...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
Two things about the Space Marines:

1) The new models look crazy, crazy cool.
2) FOR GOD'S SAKE ENOUGH SPACE MARINES, ALREADY!

How many units can one faction have? It's ridiculous!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »
Two things about the Space Marines:

1) The new models look crazy, crazy cool.
2) FOR GOD'S SAKE ENOUGH SPACE MARINES, ALREADY!

How many units can one faction have? It's ridiculous!

Amen! The Warhammer Team did say there's going to be good stuff for everyone this year, so we'll definitely have to see.

I'm really thinking we're going to see an aeldari range update relatively soon within the next year or so. If that happens, the time for me to into 40k has come 8).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »
The best I can do for a defence on all of the marine releases is that, to be fair, they are relaunching the entire line in Primaris.  Many of the older units have been unchanged since late 2nd / early 3rd edition.

I have a feeling that as codexes are released, we will (hopefully) see more updates to the units; or even new units.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »
The best I can do for a defence on all of the marine releases is that, to be fair, they are relaunching the entire line in Primaris.  Many of the older units have been unchanged since late 2nd / early 3rd edition.

I have a feeling that as codexes are released, we will (hopefully) see more updates to the units; or even new units.

I hop GW settles the space marine line up down. maybe some primaris versions of chapter specific units, but if its not int he new space marine codex, then leave it unit 10th ed.

Also some sort of planning would be good.. Intercessors are now almost TAC marines again, but this is the 3rd iteration of them.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »
I need me some of those Gravis Intersessors. Also, the Assault Intersessor whose doing a quick-reload of his gun looks super cool!

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »
Also, the Assault Intersessor whose doing a quick-reload of his gun looks super cool!

I had to go back and look for this model.  I want it.  I don't need the rest of the box, just that one lol
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »

I mean, sure okay, but then can we *remove* the old stuff? The crappy old Bikes and the old tac marines and, you know, ALL of it.

Why didn't they just *update* all the existing units into Primaris units? There isn't any particularly good reason for it other than worrying old users couldn't field their army, and you could sidestep that by never creating "Intercessors" at all and just calling them "Tactical Marines" and giving everybody the boosted statline in the first place.

That's the thing I find irritating: this was all avoidable. Now the Space Marine Codex is going to be legitimately three times the size of every other and most of it is going to be units that literally nobody fields anymore. 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
They are trying to avoid the backlash like they had with age of sigmar. They want to replace the firstborn, but without upsetting a huge swath of the community. It's clunky for sure, but this is more of soft replacement.

It'll be easier once thr primaris line covers all the niches which exist in the firstborn line, which, with this latest release, they will.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
Thoughts on the Core Units thing?

It seems sort of needlessly fiddly to me. There are so many keywords you could just adapt to this. A new one is redundant.

I also don't like that auras don't apply to the bearer anymore. I mean, sure, Chapter Masters won't miss it, but it sucks for sub-par HQs that kinda needed it (like Lieutenants).

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
It'll all depend on what they classify as "core".  From the sounds of it, at the very least, it is anything that isn't a vehicle.  So that takes my Land Speeder based Ravenwing list and really kicks it in the nuts (unless Sammael keeps his rule of rerolling for Ravenwing regardless of being Core or not).

What I want to see them do is make a FOC that is based around Core.  If Terminators and bikes are going to be core, let me have my pure Deathwing and Ravenwing lists without needing me to sacrifice Command Points to do so.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 06:35:38 AM »
Part of my point is that they could just dictate what units it affects with existing keywords for each aura. So, if they want it to cover non-vehicles and no characters, they could say "units that are not VEHICLES or CHARACTERS are affected by..."

I guess it's possible they'll be like "Raiders are CORE but not Venoms," but I gotta be honest: I don't see them doing that.