News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First half dozen purchases..??  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Turork

• Lookin' 4 Dem Dinos..
First half dozen purchases..??
« on: January 6, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
So I'm a returning player after a good 10 years out looking to start the hobby again and I want to start Orks from scratch. 

I want to get a decently playable army together asap!  Ideally I would like to purchase models that work well together on the field.  So I can build my force to work on the table top from the outset.  As you might do in an escalation league. 

I am not sure of the battle force is the best way to go, seeing as I am unsure of the role bikes would play in my planned force. 

Which would be the first 6 box sets you would advise me buy to start off an ork army?   
"and while it is possible to engage them in CC, as Orks we should try and give them a wide birth."   Jesus bring on that new book! Strike first on the charge would be nice! :P

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
Re: First half dozen purchases..??
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
Well the box set is really good atm if you want boyz.  The one thing I have been told while growing my force is boyz and more boyz.  The truck is good for getting them in close and personal fast, the bikes are good for def getting in fast.  I am a SpreED fREAK thanks to one of our local Bosses, here on the forum.  As he can tell you you how hard the bikers are aespecially NOB Bikers. They say once you go red you dont ever go back, lol.  Other than that I may suggest holding off as our Boyz are due for a re-vamp soon so stay tuned for that. :o
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
Well I was going to hold off from saying the boring and predictable... BOYZ BOYZ BOYZ

This is and will always be the core of your force and they do wonders.  Sure there are fancier toys and bigger guns to be had but you wont win anything without boyz.

Anyway that being said I have to disagree with Ard'Ragger and Skeeter and say bah to speed!!! The bigger the Heavier the clankier the oilier the better.  Big old greasy dreadnoughts and smoke belching Kanz are the way to go.  Its a little trickier to play but when it works boy does it work just ask Oink how many tanks of his I blew up last Sunday with my kan wall and how many men he had standing by end of turn 4.... (if he wont tell you then I will... all 10 of his tanks and all of his guardsmen squads dead!) hur hur hur

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »
Allow me to chime in here, I agree that boys are your best investment. The orks work best when there are lots of them.

With that said, there are a few different builds that seem to work well in todays meta of 6th.

The first, (listed so as it is my preferred method) is speed freaks. Six squads of 12 boys, (one being the nob with boss pole and PK ) mounted in a truck with red paint, ram, and plank. Led by a big mek with KFF (displacing one boy from a truck until you get a burna boy squad). Two squadrons of three rockit buggies, and either a green baron (kopta with twin rockits and buzz saw) or a squadron of koptas. A good 1500 point list that will take on anything that can be fielded, and usually will win. When you get to 2k games a battle wagon full of burna boys is a great addition. Go to the ork boot camp thread and read the "Burna Boy Tactica".

The second, is the green tide. Five or Six squads of 30 boys, at least two of those squads are shoota boys, led by a boss with big choppa and attack squig (so he won't slow down his squad) and a squad or two of lootas and some grot kannons. It is a great hoot when your opponent says he doesn't have enough to kill all that!

The third, and a list I don't play but have a few fellow ork players who do, is the kan wall. Two big meks with KFF, two deff dreads, three squads of killa kans, and two or three squads of boys to fill out the points. When played right, it too has the potential to table your opponent.

The forth, and a bit pricey (points as well as money) is the rolling thunder list. Max battle wagons (eight are possible) with death rollers and grot riggers. Red paint is a good idea, and I like the four rockits rather than a kannon or boom gun. A wall of AV14 rolling across the board is a great sight to behold.

The fifth, and hard to win with but fun to play is the all biker army. It is harder to win with as it is like playing chess, you have to think out your moves and a single turn of bad dice rolling can send your chances of victory swirling down the drain. But, three or four squads of 10 bikers and a squad of 10 nob bikers, led by a warboss on a bike and our special character that makes bikers troops, is a challenge on many levels.

There are of course other mixed lists, and with practice, you can learn to use them to play well.

So, take a moment to decide where you want to go with the army. What appeals to you to collect, then decide what to buy. At any rate a few boxes of boys to assemble and paint should keep you busy while you make up your mind.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak