News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons vs Space Marines (KoN round 3, bonus game - Capture the Flag)  (Read 3163 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Hey guys, as some of you know I have been taking part in an online Campaign for 40K with my Necrons; and although they are a tougher army to use in 5th Edition, I still like them and this campaign has actually helped me to develop some alterante uses for the Necrons tactically speaking.

Anyway, I had a few previous games;
1700pts of Necrons vs Space Wolves 31 Aug 2010; Demo to prep for the campaign.
1750pts of Necrons vs IG  28 Sep 2010; Round 1 Standard Mission
2000pts of Necrons vs Space Wolves 7 Oct 2010; Round 1 Bonus "Kill Box"
1700pts of Necorns vs Orks 15 Oct 2010; Round 2 Standard Mission and Campaign Secret mission vs Orks.

The round 2 bonus mission was to play vs the same race your using, so for me that would be Necrons; unfortunately I did not get a Necron vs Necron game done in time.

Thus this will be my report for the Round 3 Bonus Mission "Capture the Flag" but here is the print out on it.
Secure the Tablet! (Bonus Mission for Round 3)
Archeologists have been unearthing Necron ruins in the area and stumbled upon an ancient Tablet about the [Device].  The Orks think they've finally found it after interrogating a Rogue Trader, whose fate is best left unsaid. The Necrons believe they've found it because the trader had set off a beacon, drawing the attention of the Necron Lords.

For this mission place a single objective marker in the center of the board at the beginning of the battle, representing the ancient tablet.  Unlike usual objective games, any unit of infantry can claim it by moving into base contact with it.  Once they do the counter travels with that unit until the unit is killed or they break and run.  Any unit holding the Tablet cannot be transported by any vehicle, and independent characters may not voluntarily join or leave the unit. The player who controls the objective at the end of the game wins; if neither controls the objective, the game is a draw. This mission cannot be played against Necrons or Orks.
I only downloaded it a half hour or so before Richard and I started this game and I did ask him if he wanted a standard game for Round 3 (Still looking for this game BTW) or to do the bonus mission, and I let him know that if we did the bonus mission I earned (1) point for my faction weather I Won or Lost, so I would prefer to just do the Bonus Mission and have fun with it. For the Campaign I am also restricted to greater than 1500pts and not to go over 2000pts for my Sector, and my Lord or HQ's must be different each game; so here are the armies.

The Mighty Green Machine - Necrons moc065 - Ken
(170) Necron Lord, RezOrb, Warscyth, Solar Pulse
(168) 6 Necron Immortals
(180) 10 Necron Warriors
(180) 10 Necron Warriors
(250) 5 Necron Destroyers
(250) 5 Necron Destroyers
(235) 1 Monolith
(110) 2 Tomb Spiders

1543pts, 2 SU's, 9 KP's, Phase Out = 9/37 Necrons with 40 Figures

Crimson / Imperial Fist Marines Daedelous - Richard
(145) 1 Captain, L-Claws, Art-Armour.
(125) 1 Chaplain, Digital - Plas Pistol
(255) 10 Tac Marines, ML, Flamer, Vet w/p-Fist in the Drop Pod w/ML's.
(230) 10 Tac Marines, ML, Melta Gun, Vet w/p-Weapon in the Rhino.
(450) 5 Assault Termies, 2TH, 3 LC in the Landraider.
(85) Predator, AC turret and HB Sponsons.
(125) Vindicator w/ Siege Sheild.
(125) Vindicator w/ Siege Sheild.

1540pts, 2 SU's, 11 KP's, 33 Figures

Richards Crimson-Imperial Fist army looked pretty cool (asside from the unpainted stuff; but that was still pretty scary to me), He was running a seriously "Heavy" list with enough tough infantry to grab the Necrodermus Generator and run with it, and then protect his investment throughout the game. I on the other hand had a serious pile of Shooting at my grasp; but my CC was lacking and my mobility was limited to two fast units with the rest being fairly slow. We discussed a few things as I had picked the terrain and threw it on the table while he did some prep work in the Lavoratory, so he altered the terrain as he saw fit, and then we rolled for Deployment and 1st turn. Here is what it looked like.

The Mission was "Capture the Flag"
The Deployment was "Dawn of War"
And the Fists were forced into taking first turn. We had a little discussion as Richard wanted to check a couple things out, and then he placed his 2 Troop choices on the table, and said that he would not place any HQ;
1 - Crimson Tac Squad
2 - Crimon Rhino
He then declared that the rest of his army would arrive turn 1 either via Table Edge or via Drop Pod Deepstrike.

The Mighty Green Machine chose to start off table and have the entire army except 1 unit of Necron Warriors arrive on turn 1, the last Warrior squad would come in via standard Reserves through the Monolith if available.

Turn 1a
As there was no Necrons to set up, and I failed to "Steel the Initiative" on a 3, Richard used his 1st turn to move his army onto the battle field.
The Drop Pod arrived almost dead center, while the armour rolled on as far as possible (Since there would be no shooting anyway). The Crimson Marines then started to do a tactical withdrawel to get the "Crystal" device as far from enemy hands as possible {note that Rishard rolled snake eyes for the Difficult Terrain test to move his Crimson Marines}, they also Ran to ensure as great a distance as possible, and his Imperial Marines ran as well {note that Richard rolled a 1" for their Run}.

Turn 1b
The Necrons arrive en masse; but are carefull to avoid getting too close to those nasty Vindicators. The Necron Lord then uses the Solar Pulse to instill on Nightfighting for TMGM; but an extra round of Night Fighting for the Fists. Shooting begins with a flurry as the Tomb Spiders run to continue their advance, and the Warriors spread out a bit. The Immortals then shoot some Imperal Tac Marines killing 2, and the Monolith uses its Particle Whip to kill 3 more Imperial Tac Marines (I know I should have reversed the order of fire). After that both Destroyer squads fire into the Crimson Marines and kill 6 of them in total. The Crimson squad passes its LD to retain the Crystal; but the Imperial Marines chose to retreat in order to gain better possitioning during the Necron turn (smart move BTW). The Two Tomb Spiders then articifate a Scarab Swarm each and ensure that the babies are in cover granting terrain.

Turn 1 summary, Fist Marines are in posession of the Crystal and therefor Winning.

Turn 2a
Richard starts to encapsulate the Crystal by having the Imperial Vindie, and the Landraider advance 6" while the Crimson Marines drop into the terrain, And the Imperial Marines embark into the Rhino that has fallen back. Shooting is limited by the extended Nightfight for the Fists; but between the Landraider, Imperial Vindicator and the Drop Pod, a Necron Warrior goes down, one Tomb Spider gets wounded. The Lascannons of the Landraider fail to damage the Monolith.

Turn 2b
WBB has 1/1 Necron Warriors self repair.
Reserves arrive (via - Monolith).
    All Necron Warriors adjust position with the newly arrived going forward and the other squad retaining cover in the Terrain. The Destroyers adjust slightly forward and to the Left while the Immortals go up onto the Bastion and the Monolith shifts forward Left. Both Tomb Spider units advance on the Drop Pod's possition. In shooting the newly arrived Warriors Rapid Fire into the Drop Pod and ruin its weapon system, while one Destroyer unit removes the remaining Crimson Marines with the Crystal. The other Destroyer squad fails to hit/damage the Crimson Vindicator in cover; but the Immortals manage to Immobilize the Land Raider while. The Tomb Spiders then assault into the Drop Pod and easily Crush it in the Monstrous Claws.

Turn 2 Summary, no army has control of the Crystal; thus the game is at a Draw

Turn 3a
The marines only advance with the Imperial Vindicator while the rest prepare to fire. The Rhino Pops Smoke and then the Predator shoots at the Tomb Spider but fails to hit/damage it {note that this was the third time so far that Ricahrd got snake eyes in the game}. The Imperial Vindicator has no trouble with its shooting though, as it drops a Tomb Spider (with baby), insta-kills the other TS's baby, and drops a Necron Warrior after some pretty nice scatter dice. The Melta Gun Marine in the Imperial marines squad wounds the remaining Tomb Spider, and the LandRaider then tries to finsih it off but fails, so the Crimson Fist Vindicator also tries to finish it off; but it also fails as the scatter is way wide this time.
{sorry no pic}

Turn 3b
WBB has 1/1 Necron Warrior self repair.
The Necrons advance on the enemy Fists and prepare to fire. The Immortals shoot the Rhino and remove its Storm Bolter, then both the Destroyer squads fail to hit/damage the Crimson Vindicator, and all the Necron Warrior and Particle Whip shooting fails to hit/damage the Imperail Vindicator {Necron shooting went down the toilet}. Thus the remaining Tomb Spider rushes into Close Combat with the Vinidcator and Destroys it with a glorious explosion.

Turn 3 Summary, no army has control of the Crystal; thus the game is at a Draw

{more to follow}

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
TMGM Necron Cell 100111
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Necrons vs Space Marines (KoN round 3, bonus game - Capture the Flag)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
Turn 4a
The Fist Marines opt to maintain their baracade formation as they are sure that the enemy can not get to the Crystal. The LandRaider downs a Destroyer {note that Richard has now rolled his 4th set of Snake Eyes for the game}. Crimson Vindicator drops 2 Immortals (and they are out of RezOrb range so no WBB). And then the Predator and Rhino guys shoot at the Tomb Spider. The Predator fails to hit/damage the big Bug, the Melta Gunner also fails to hit/damage the Spider; but the regular Bolter guy using Rapid Fire calls his shot and actually kills the Tomb Spider (Yes I rolled a frikken 1" for its save).
{sorry again no picture; but I didn't think it relavant}

Turn 4b
WBB has 1/1 Destroyer self repair.
The Necron Lord and Central Warriors advance, and the Monolith uses its Teleporter to pull the other Warrior squad through it and into the thick of things. Those Warriors then advance as well, while one Destroyer squad gains side shots on the Crimson Vindicator and the Immortals advance on the Predator. The second Destroyer squad then uses Turbo to encirlce the LandRaider in an attempt to blcok its doors and to grab the Crystal for themselves. The Immortals shoot first and manage to remove both the Predators Auto-cannon and a HB-Sidesponson. The teleported Warriors then shake the Vindicator and the Destoryers manage to hit it several times; but only remove its Demolisher Cannon. With no other shooting available, the Central Warriors Assault the Rhino and manage to shake and stun it in place. {note how Richards Predator weapons were magnetized so he could pop them off as needed - frikken nice}

Turn 4 Summary, The Mighty Green Machine is in posession of the Crystal and therefor Winning.

Turn 5a
Fists pull out a new page from the tactical manual and use Tank Shock with the Vindicator to actually force Necron Warriors and a Necron Destroyer to move a little and free one Landraider door enough to allow both Independant Characters out. The Fists shooting is abissmal as its almost non existant and the LandRaider and Predator failed to hit/damage anything. In Close Combat though, the Fist Captain uses his Lightning Claws to kill all five Necron Destroyers with the Crystal, and he does it before his partner even got a chance to fight, this does give the 2 IC's the Crystal and they are now forced to remain as a single unit. Then the Rhino is auto-hit by the Necron Lords Warscythe and blows up in a glorious Explosion, killing 2 Imperial Marines inside as well.
{sorry no picture again}

Turn 5b
WBB - NOPE Not from a PW when your out of RezOrb range
The Necrons incircle the Fist Marines and tighten the noose, and the Warrior Squads and Monolith are now used to block the LandRaider doors; with the remaining Destroyer squad getting within range of the Crystal to contest it from the IC's but without engaging them. In shooting the Particle Whip splats the Chaplin but even after 15 Destroyer shots the Captain remains standing (he is wounded though). The Left most Warriros Rapid Fire at the rear/side of the Vindicator but only manage to shake it. While the other Warrior Squad Rapid Fires into the Imperial fist squad and kills all of them excep the Vet, who quickly runs away dragging his Fist with him (he is too close to the Destroyers to regroup, so I was hoping he would fall off the battlefield). Finally the Immortals shot at the Perdator; but fail to hit/damage it.

Turn 5 Summary, Both armis share control of the Crystal; thus the game is at a Draw

Turn 6a
Fist Vet runs off the battlefield. But once again the Vindicator uses Tank Shock to clear the Landraider door (fully cleared this time) and thus the Assault Terminators dis-embark while the Captain move rearward to pull the Crystal along with im between the two contesting units. Fist shooting is useless again with Lascannons bouncing off the Monolith and the Predator failing to hit its target. In close combat though, the Assault Terminators and Captain eat the 5 Destroyers for lunch hardly slowing down at all (it should be noted though, that the Captain actually did need help this time).

Turn 6B
WBB - NOPE
The Necrons adjust possition a little. The Monolith uses its Guass Flux Arc to give the Captain another wound and then the Closest Warriors Finish him off with their shooting. The Crystal is in limbo; but as both the Assault Termies and the Warriors are within 3" of it, we decide that it will be contested by both, and placed between them. The other Warriors then shoot into the Terminators and kill 2 of them. The Immortals then remove the Vindicator from the battle with theit shooting and in assault the Necron Lord uses his 4 auto-hit to shake the LandRaider (sad in a way)

Turn 6 Summary, Both armis share control of the Crystal; thus the game is at a Draw

Turn 7
The Fist Terminators quickly prepare to assault and kill Necron Warriors as their army has little shooting left, and what it does have is completely in-effective. In assault the 3 Terminators kill some 5 Necron Warriors; but the Warriors manage to stay in the fight. The Lord shakes and stuns the Landraider in his Auto-CC with it.
{sorry no picture}
WBB - NOPE
The Monolith is once again used to teleport Warriors; but this time it draws the 5 out of CC and sets them in place to advance on the Terminators once more. The other Warrior Squad and the Immortals also set up to get LOS on the Terminators, some 8 Immortal shots and 28 Warrior shots later, and 1 Terminator remains standing. And finally, the Necron Lord detroys the LandRaider with his Warscythe.
{sorry no Picture as we were starting to rush - but I think you get the idea}

Turn 7 Summary and Game result: Both armis share control of the Crystal; thus the game is at a Draw

I found it amazing how resilient Richards guys with Artifacer and/or Terminator armour actually were to the Necron shooting. I expected the Guass special rule to have minimal effect vs the Vehicles; but I didn't espect some 6 guys to be that stubborn to die. I also thought his tactics for deployment, barracade, and holding the Crystal were excellent. The Tank Shock manouver is one that I completely forgot about, so super duper well done on his part for doing it Twice. I know I surprised him a couple times too; but Necrons are the most 3vil race in the Multi-verse, so thats to be expected. Richard was an awesome opponent, and he is more than welcome to a game in the future.

I would also like to thank Dave and the GW Lads for once again allowing us to use their facility; you guys are great and its the best GW store in the world. I woudl also like to thank all of the peanut gallery, as several guys make comments etc. Finally, I want to warn Gary to stand farther from my dice as I know that those 1's I rolled were mainly due to his "Dark" influence. THANK YOU all it was a blast and I got a point for my Faction in the Campaign.

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
TMGM Necron Cell 100111

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
That was a very enjoyable read. I feel like I got the flow of the battle pretty well.

There are a few minor things I'm not sure I understand and maybe you can clear up for me.
- During the battle it 'appears' your Destroyers are more than 2" away from each other (once in an early picture, and again when surrounding the Landraider) Am I missing something here? Are they actually still in squad coherence?  The reason I ask is my Destroyers are seemingly 'template' magnets and I found it difficult to spread them out.

- During the fall of the Destroyers due to the power weapons around the Landraider, isn't your Lord within 6" of a fallen destroyer? I believe the squad was wiped, but you had a Tomb Spyder and another squad on the table? Do I have this wrong? I know you didn't take a WWB on that one.

The game itself looked pretty fun. The interesting thing is I get tank shocked all the time. If you play Space Wolves, it's typically the easiest way to ram entire squads off the table. The Orks have an amended tank shocking wargear that is just ridiculous... plain ridiculous. 

Anyway, back to my train of thought.... at the beginning of this game, seeing Terminators , and all that armour, I would have bet you'd lose. I'm surprised that he didn't keep his vehicles (especially the Vindicator) moving to prevent auto hits, but it worked out for you.

Kudos for taking on a heavy mech force with Termies. BTW: Your Monolith looks great in those top down shots with Gold/Black. Really nice.

I have games facing orks with mega-armour or termies, or even a landraider, and I've been ignoring them completely. Good game, very entertaining read.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »
The big thing with Tank Shock was that I was hoping that all those shots into the Vindicator would at least Stunn the damn thing so it couldn't move; but no, all I could do vs that Vindie was Shake it repeatedly until finally it wrecked. Its like that for me some games, all or nothing it seams.

In regard to the Unit Cohernecy, the terrain was very un-even so we were checking distance of coherency as a standing point, then setting the figures down as close to that spot as possible. Richard was very carefull to make sure I didn't breech the coherency rules, as he checked several times before he finally said "the hell with it, I will tank shock the bastards anyway". We had to give the same sort of lenency for when his Termies dis-embarked, as was still pretty tight for him to squeeze all 5 out one door, with the Warriors moved just enough to allow his Vindicatore by, and the Destoryer hardly having to adjust at all. That piece of ruin terrain to the left of the LandRaider is great; but it is a be-atch to actually place a figure on, as its about as jaggad as Earth's Moon.

Thanks for the comments and keen eye, as they are appreciated.

Oh and that Monolith was actually painted by Lazarus' son, when he was 11 or so. I traded him a bunch of Tau stuff back in 4th Ed to get more Necron stuff, and the Golden Obyz are the ones that still need to be painted as I need to add the Greens to make them full members of The Mighty Green Machine. Not a big deal though, add glowing green between armour plates, add green tinge to all metals, and call it done; I should get back to my painting though, as I am ever a procastinator.

Cheers

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:31 AM »
Looks like a great game, and a good batrep; a definit enjoyable read.

Sounds like your friend Richard needs to execute some dice so that they quit rolling so many 1s  ;D

As for the tank shock trick, it works great, I use it drive units closer to my boys so I can assault, or I use to back up enemy units so they can't get in to reinforce a combat. Trucks with rams are so useful. (insert green cheese smiley)

I am glad you beat up the SM so well, his only mistake was not moving his vehicles. After dropping off the troops to hold the crystal he should have used the vehicles as a blocking wall (kinda like a kick return if football) other than that he let himself get backed into a corner and that is what cost him.

As for your game play, I saw only that your destroyers got in too close, they have ranged weapons, stay at range and shoot, getting close does not help them hit it only gets them killed.

Great game, would have been fun to watch in real life.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate it and I think he will get his rematch this Friday in the standrad round 3 game as he is PMing me for it.

His game plan was solid I think, as he didn't want to extend himself to far, and I Immobilized his Landraider early. He was trying to get his second Vindicator into the front line of his defence so to speak.

As for my plan, well I got overly aggressive as my intention was to Turbo the Destroyers squad into the zone and have it block the LR doors in the process. Also having the Lord+Warrior unit getting in on the other side to help with the block, while they removed his Rhino (back door was blocked by Destroyers). Then I would simply use 20 RF shots from Warriors and 15 shots from the other Destroyer squad to wreck/immobilize/destroy his Crimson Vindicator.
Math-Hammer had the odds in my favour
~~ 20 shots from Warriors = 2.3 glances two chances at about 18% chance to Immobilize + potential to remove the weapons and attrition it down.
~~ 15 shots from Destroyers on the side = 1.7 Glances and 1.7 Pens for 27% chance to Immob on the Glance and a 54% on the Penetrations.
Overall that is about a 4 chances to immobilize or attrition it out on the Glances, and 1-2 chances on the Pens as well. I was liking the odds.
~~~~ In real life though, (my dice got influenced by the Dark Precence of Gary - another friend and opponent) I actually never got any glancing hits with the Warriors, and only had 1 glancing hit with the Destroyers; whice took out the Demolisher Cannon.

That one crappy crappy round of shooting on my part pretty well sealed the fate of my Destroyers, as the next part of my plan was to simply grab the Crystal and Turbo right out of the area to srew him severly. Build up my parimiter and keep running with the Destroyers and Crystal. This mission did give me new things to consider so I did enjoy it, and I know Richard enjoyed it, as he has sent me several PM's to try for a rematch on Friday (I need to switch work schedules or something still). I have seen Richard play a few games and he never brings the same force twice (he owns about 20000pts of SM's) so I think it would be a good game; now I just have to figure out how to be equally 3vil as he is, or more so since I am using the Necrons, and they are the most 3vil race in the multi-verse.

Once again, thanks for the comments, they are appreciated, and it does help me to see that I simply got over aggressive, as I could have stood back and pretty well shot the SM's off the table (if I could pop their armour).

Cheers and appologeeze for the length, I am at work and bored; thus I got caried away.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
At work as well here....

I just saw your list has out ranging the bejesus out of him, but I guess the objective really does force you to be someone aggressive.

The only part that really shocked me is him not getting the Vindicator out of the way before the assaults, and secondly the fact you rushed a Landraider loaded with Termies... with a Destroyer squad. Those boys deserve a promotion.