News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: January 13 2013 GK FAQ New lease on life for Vindicare?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
January 13 2013 GK FAQ New lease on life for Vindicare?
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
New Grey Knight FAQ came out.  Finally a real reason to take Vindicare!

Has anyone used the Vindicare now with the new rules update?

Offline Prophecy

Re: January 13 2013 GK FAQ New lease on life for Vindicare?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
The FAQ "ability" he recieved is honestly how I played it the whole time. He has always had that ability and when you pay that many points you gotta get something good. Besides his job for me is shoot vehicles as often as possible.

For me the new cool is the psychic casting phase. The 10 termies with options + Termie inquisitor with divination DS in and shooting re-rolls is awesome. It's what I wanted the whole time and now that it works properly I am really happy!

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
Wish that were true.  The new FAQ hasn't eliminated the limits to psychic powers on page 67.  If the Inquisitor comes via deep strike w/ the terminators, he's stuck for a turn without prescience/blessings.

What the FAQ clarifies confirms is that if the psyker is on the table already the previous turn, he can can cast a blessing on a unit that deep strikes/outflanks/reserve move provided all other limits are met, e.g. units in range, unit is a legal target, LOS, etc.

Don't get me wrong, for his points cost, a Mallus Inquisitor is pretty awesome sauce already. Getting prescience off with a deep strike would take him to banana level brokenness.

What I see for the Vindicare now is a good choice for taking out models like Vet Sergeants, Icon bearers and standard bearers, Ork Nobs, etc... That, and Vehicles as well.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
Yeah I had a convo with a guy about this and he says "The FAQ lets you cast on a unit arriving not by a unit arriving." Oh well it is still kind of possible....just not in the manner I wanted. At least it isn't Eldar FAQ fail. I'm glad I have shelved them for a bit because this newest FAQ just wasnt kind.

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »
The vindicare still has a tremendous problem called resistance. Yes, it restores his role as a precision removal instrument, but he also still can't join a squad or have augmented night fight rules to protect him from yielding first blood or an alpha strike.

Just about the only place I see for him is a GK gunline army. In this configuration, he will either serve in his obvious purpose, or he will help preserve other elements in the list.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
lol, gun bunny Grey Knights is how I roll my Grey Knight army now in 6th ed.  Psybolt stormbolter, psyfleman and psycannon spam.  The Vindicare does have the benefit of infiltrate, so there are tricks one can use to avoid first blood casualties.  Still, I see your point, do I want to trade in a Psyfleman for a Vindicare and get that extra precision or not.  Popping off those pesky heavy plasma gun, lascannons, plus vehicles does sound tempting.