News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So I Finally Have the SOB "Codex"!  (Read 1373 times)

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
So I Finally Have the SOB "Codex"!
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »
... I also have a case of the buyers remorse, after paying what I did. And realizing how much I'll need to pay to get a reasonable army of the all metal minis.

But still. I'm pretty happy and excited at it working out (so far... the codex just got ebayed/paid for, so knock on wood regarding delivery and all that).

The question here is; what's a good start to an SOB army? Without giving out points or stats or anything. Just basic stuff to help me order. It would be nice if I could have a small bunch of them ordered now so they arrive around the same time as the white dwarves.

I'm thinking a cannoness (because I generally shy away from special characters on principle) and two squads of sisters, along with a squad of seraphim and one heavy support choice (exorcist or retributors? I can't decide which I want first. The forge world exorcist model is kind of nice, but a big retributor squat might be more practical to start things off?) There's a lot of fun sounding special stuff too, but I don't know the rules for it off hand so can't really include it in my starter list (although if someone with experience strongly advised me to buy crusaders/arcoflagelents or repentia or what not, I'd consider it). A squad of dominions (is that the one with a bunch of melta weaponry that can outflank?) seems necesary, but I'm thinking perhaps not in the "starter" list?

I'm unsure how to equip the two troop squads though, regarding combinations of special/heavy weapons, and what weapons to place on the sister superior. I seem to recall (could be mistaken) that under the WH book people liked to give redundancy to squads, so they'd stick a heavy flamer with a flamer, and a melta with a multi melta, and storm bolters with heavy bolters. I don't know if that's still how it goes. Any tips for squad set up?

Also, how many squads is it reasonable to give rhinos/repressors to? I finally got a look at the repressor's rules and it looks neat. It's almost the same price as a rhino and serves the same purpose, but has a little bit of punch and a lot of character. I'll quite possibly just use the repressor model for my "rhinos" anyways but... generally speaking, how important are people finding mechanization of sisters squads? I suppose rhinos are a good bet if they're as cheap as I believe they are (and will get to confirm shortly).

So... yeah. Any tips on where I want to go with my first 500/750ish points? Just a solid foundation that I'd want to include in more or less every other army of a larger size.

Edit: Also, how do you guys carry your codex around? I'm thinking of photocopying the relevant pages, maybe even in color and on nice paper, and then putting it in some sort of spiral binding at an office store. I could make two or three of those in case of loss/damage, and even resell the original WD to make up the sum I lost on it. But in general I don't really want the original WD getting carried around a lot and banged up. I've never gone to a tourney, but if I did I assume a photocopy would not fly, and I'd need the real WD?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:03:49 PM by starstrider »

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
Re: So I Finally Have the SOB "Codex"!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »
 Are you looking at buying the girls new or used? I would think for freindly play a photocopied version wkould be okay, same with a tournie but keeo the WDs on you incase you play TFGs lol.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »
I'm prooobably going to get mostly new ones, with a few old ones thrown in if I can find good deals on unpainted ones.

I know I could get a good deal on prepainted ones, but I don't really want to venture into paint stripping and all that. I hear it's fairly simple, but I remember trying it once and it only kind of worked out 80% or so. I could probably do better, but still... will limit the used ones to unpainted stuff.

To make it all affordable(ish) I'll probably pick up 750 or so fast, but then work on building up the rest of the army at a very slow pace (can be unfluffy and use my Eldar as desperate allies in the interim if I need to raise my points badly). Building it up slowly is ok though, it gives me a lot of time to work with the painting which is nice. Especially as getting a game in requires a fairly long drive on my part (no nearby GW/LGS, or friends who play), so it's nice to have the painting to keep me occupied.

Offline badlybuilt

• Armies: Sisters of Battle
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »
Regarding the"codex", I have them laminated into a 3 ring binder. I add all the faq and army lists in there to tote around, which all together cost me $30.

As for starting models, my basic force ( 1000point tourney list ) is :

Saint Celestine
Seraphim with hand flamers
2x BSS with 2x meltagun in rhinos
2x exorcists

I would have to say that is my core force most of them time and build off of that list, and it has done me well so far. For the sister superior I like one plasma pistol and a chainsword + melta bombs.

I have tried foot lists , and I am terrible with them which lends me to field a mech force. Retributors are more of a support squad, exorcists are really our only long range heavy hitters.
Quote from: Hymirl
Cross dressing space marines? Not a fan.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
Don't underestimate retributors. Whilst their reach is slightly shorter, it is nothing to sneeze at, and they are the 'swiss army knife' of the codex.

They're within 2/3 as good as the exorcist at dropping heavy tanks at long range (dropping stuff at close range generally not an issue for the sororitas!), but also do a decent job on both medium/light vehicles (just as good as the exorcist) and - more importantly - are just as good at chopping up the enemy infantry disgorged afterwards. Rending bolters and heavy bolters are an incredibly flexible weapon, and thanks to it's numbers and power armour, the unit is both incredibly tough and extremely cheap. Given their weight of fire, they also don't do badly at snap shots - making them also quite good flak cover.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685