News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Coming back to 40k with the Grey Knights - Advice on major no-no's.  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: Coming back to 40k with the Grey Knights - Advice on major no-no's.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
Is Thawn really that good? He's never really struck me. Though then again, I read IWNY as a pass-or-bye deal.

I'll try the Heavy Incinerator out. I fancy a Dreadknight for my next 250 point chunk once the 1k basis is all painted up, so I may as well invest in some heavier weaponry.

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
  • Mindshackle Scarabs Abuser
  • Armies: Necrons, Vampire counts
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
 Thawn is pretty darn good with getting up potentially every turn and can deny a kp when you really need it.

You do want that baby carrier they call a dreadknight, the 30" move and heavy incinerator can make it quite useful.
My Tesseract Labyrinth Collection:
 1xDreadknight
 Enemies Doored by Monolith:
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
Oh believe me, I'll be mixing it with parts from a Furioso so it doesn't look like a Rob Schneider movie character, you can be sure of that.

I'll stick up my 1k for you guys. I know it's compact, not the best etc etc, but let's leave that part and think about the next segment. 250pts to spend, and it's for now most likely going to go on a tricked-out Dreadknight, though I'm open to suggestions.

Librarian
Warp Rift, Sanctuary, Might of Titan

5 Terminators
Psycannon
1 Halberd
Daemon hammer
1x Falchions
Psybolts

5 Terminators
Psycannon
2x halberds
Banner
Psybolts
1x hammer

6 Purifiers
3x halberds
1x hammer
2x falchions
Psybolts

Razorback
Assault Cannon
Psybolts

The Dreadknight would probably have Teleporter and Incinerator. Leaves me 15 points to muck around with too.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 01:14:32 AM »
 In a FoB practice game last night, my DK took out 18 wytches, 7 trueborn, and an archon JUST with the Hvy Inc. Played peek-a-boo for three turns but was worth it. Sadly, my robot that doesn't love his baby so instead of holdimg him he ties it on died to the last two witches overwatch fire. Opponent chucked double 6s to wound, i laughed and snake-eyed! I digress, anyways the DK with Hvy Inc and teleporter is nasty Vs anything nonMEQ. Even if it does look kinda...odd.

As for the list. It's a good solid foundation. Though i will go ahead and say tge pts spent on falxhions can generally be spent on more useful upgrades. You could get another psychic power on the Librarian and a psycannon for the Purifiers. Either way it should perform well and the DK should go well with it when you expand.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »
I would go for Shrouding rather then Sanctuary.

Shooting has always been a big threat to terminators, especially high quality shooting. Improving cover saves to 4+ (maybe even 3+ if you're lurking in ruins) really helps keep your terminators alive long enough to fight back and retain combat capability.

Sanctuary could prove to be useful to you sometimes, but the changes to Dangerous Terrain killed the potentially offensive capability of Sanctuary. Furthermore, Sanctuary only really comes in use when you've made a mistake in placement and are getting charged out in the open by something you don't want to fight in CC. Otherwise, area terrain and difficult terrain can serve the exact same function at no risk to your librarian.

I would also recommend you try out the Divination powers rather then the stock powers, as I have found that those powers really help augment the offensive capabilities of GKs both on your turn and his turn.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »
I'm not meaning to bump this, and I can't remember the limit on thread necros here, so apologies if I've done something wrong. But after reviewing the list I posted on here, unless my maths is completely cocked-up, I think I'm 45pts short from 1k, and have no idea how to spend them. Half tempted to drop the Razorback for a bare-bones Dreadknight, which should fill the gap...

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
  • Mindshackle Scarabs Abuser
  • Armies: Necrons, Vampire counts
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
 30 days of inactivity i believe before the mods say no no no to necro.

Dreadknight really needs the extra movement and a shooting weapon in order to get enough damage in to make back its points before it dies.

Im not a big fan of purifiers, terminators pretty much do the same thing but score for slightly more points and better survivability.

Have you considered a Purgation squad? 5 members with 2 psycannons and 2 incinerators, psybolt ammo in a rhino is 200 points.

Dreadnaughts are to bad being str 8 4 twin-linked shots for pretty darn cheap.

as for 45 points you could get a inquisitor with psychotroke grenades. Those are just nasty in cc.
My Tesseract Labyrinth Collection:
 1xDreadknight
 Enemies Doored by Monolith:
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken