News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Malal (again)  (Read 10122 times)

Offline Mabrothrax

• Don't let the 'newbie' tag fool you
    • www.freewebs.com/malal-lives.com
Malal (again)
« on: June 25, 2006, 07:17:50 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a big Malal fan and I've been digging around for info on him (and related stuff) for ages.

For a long time I assumed the section of text detailing him his number & symbol, cult requirements etc (look around, it's easy to find) was from the old Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness book.

It's not, which begs the question, where does that text come from? Or any 'official' text come from?

I know about the Kaleb Daark comics, but besides that the only Malal writings I actually have or have seen are from the original WFRP book, and the WFRP supplememnt The Dying of the Light.

Malal and the rights to use him vanished in the mid eighties so I'm guessing only true old school gamers (like myself) will have any answers.

Please help me find actual physical proof of Malal's existance, and also, please don't post speculation on who he is/was here, or stuff about the shadowlord, Be'lakor etc., there's more than enough on that elsewhere...

Many thanks,

Mabrothrax.

Offline GodisanAtheist

• Yes, I play Eldar. No, I'm not gay.
Re: Malal (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2006, 01:47:57 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malal

Praise be upon the mighty 6th chaos god, Wikipedia!

Offline Mabrothrax

« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »
No, no, no. >:(

You misunderstand...

I know who Malal is and his history etc. I'm looking for any printed actual physical proof of any of the writings to do with the lost god.

The sectin on wikipedia referring to his daemons is a good example; it sounds like a passage from some publication, I've seen it plenty of times, but it does not exist in the Realms of Chaos books (which I own), so where does it come from?

The only published material on Malal I have or have seen are from the following;
Journal '86 & '87 (for the Kaleb Daark strip)
WD 79 (Skrag the Slaughterer)
The '86 version of the WFRP book
and the WFRP adventure 'Dying of the light'.

Surely someone knows of an old White Dwarf (or whatever) with material on Malal? It would have to have been published between '86 & '87, so I;'m guessing issues 65- 85 are about on target.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: August 7, 2006, 12:26:48 PM by Mabrothrax »

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2006, 02:59:34 AM »
well, if you read the wikipedia article, it says that malal is kind of the antithesis to the Horned Rat.  The Horned Rat is a god/being only found in WHFB, so it would make sense that Malal is only in WHFB as well, and if what you're asking is where he exists in WH40K, I'm gonna say I don't think he ever did.
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
If Malal hates all the other chaos gods and rebels aginst them. It wouldn't be too hard to make something maybe using LoD or IG Doctrines to make a cult army or merc style army that would hunt Chaos for pleasure, while also facing down every other race or army in 40K. Could you also connect him to say the Red Corsairs in some way, or other broken off marine legions/chapters that are now rogue to the imperium?
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Mabrothrax

« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
I'm clearly writing in a foreign language...

please don't post speculation on who he is/was here, or stuff about the shadowlord, Be'lakor etc., there's more than enough on that elsewhere...

It wouldn't be too hard to make something maybe using LoD or IG Doctrines to make a cult army or merc style army that would hunt Chaos for pleasure, while also facing down every other race or army in 40K. Could you also connect him to say the Red Corsairs in some way, or other broken off marine legions/chapters that are now rogue to the imperium?

???

and if what you're asking is where he exists in WH40K, I'm gonna say I don't think he ever did.

I'm asking where Malal exists IN PRINT, if you take the time to read the thread.

Obviously those who do know anything don't bother with forums.

Offline Wombats

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
There's a paragraph on him in the WHFB basic rulebook I have. 

He's next a couple of other Chaos Gods.  Khorne is notably absent from memory. 
They also have the gods of Law which has dropped from view. 

There's a picture of him that looks suspiciously Tzeentch-ish. 
Thought begets Doubt : Doubt begets Heresy
(Heresy begets you sent to bed with no dinner)

Offline Keeblar the Arboreal

• We're Space Pirate Chaos Zombie Dwarfs! Roar!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
I don't think that there were ever any articles in White Dwarf that give any details regarding Malal. I think he was only mentioned in the Kaleb Daark strips in WD. I haven't looked to make sure, but I read all of the issues from the relevant time both in the 80s  and quite recently, and don't recall anything, and my love of Chaos would drive that information right to the front of my mind. Kaleb Daark was one of the first minis I ever bought as a wee lad, though the Testor's Enamels that I used way back then did him no justice at all.

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 03:16:42 PM »
Ok now malal's existence in the warhammer world was before my time in playing warhammer but after a little bit of searching the only printed information is apparently from three journals, there was apparently a 4th installment but it was never printed/released. these journals came out between 85-87. Not exactly what you were looking for but hope it helps.

Offline blank

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:40:43 AM »
but there is a mention of "malice" and the doomed ones in a new book of short stories GW recently put out.  plus im wondering that since his number is 11, would that perhaps make him the missing 11th legion primarch turned chaos god?

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
I'm asking where Malal exists IN PRINT, if you take the time to read the thread.

Obviously those who do know anything don't bother with forums.

Perhaps you'll have better luck in the Warhammer Background board. Some of the guys that hang out there seem to have an endless knowledge about old publications. Though I won't promiss you anything.

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »
There is a white dwarf with a 2 page spread let me go look

WD 302
page 74 - sons of malice (black box)
page 75 - image in bottom right.

I know there is another article someplace in WD (i think after 300) on the soms of malice but I can't lay my fingers on it.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

Offline Soulflayer

• Sanchez appears to be flying sir...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
The white dwarf in question was White Dwarf 303, the article gave the background to three renegade chapters of space marines of which the Sons of Malice were one. The Sons of Malice are supposedly a chapter that worships Malal although this is heavily implied by GW rather than explicitly stated. Still, check it out as if you read between the lines theres some stuff that screams Malal.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
That's for the help but this is an old thread that's been resurrected twice in the past and so three time's the charm. The OP has long since gone dark as have many of the people who replied in turn.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.