News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork 1,000 Points List  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Ork 1,000 Points List
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
I've had a chance to play a few games, a lot of them at 1,000 or 1,500 points. I've been trying to put together a 1,000 points list that has plenty of Boyz, but also some anti-tank firepower. Here is what I have been running recently for playing Matched Play  against Marines, Space Marines, Eldar, and AdMech:

996 Pts of Orks
Detachment: Battalion (+3 CP)
++HQ++ : 191
Big Mek on Warbike with KFF, Killsaw
Weirdboy
++TROOPS++ - 430 pts
30 Shoota Boyz, 1 is Nob with Klaw, 3 have Big Shootas
10 Slugga Boyz, 1 is Nob with Big Choppa
++HEAVY SUPPORT++ - 129 pts
3 Big Gunz with Kannons
1 Mek Gun with Kustom Mega Kannon
++DEDICATED TRANSPORTS++ - 246
Trukk with Big Shoota
Trukk with Big Shoota
Trukk with Big Shoota

So here's how this army generally plays out.

I deploy with 3 Trukks in front, each loaded with a squad of boyz. Depending on how things look, one of them may hold the Weirdboy for a turn as well (though not necessary due to Character rules), due to trying to reduce the number of drops during deployment. The Gunz are also somewhere up there, and it's all within the range of the Big Mek KFF. The foot boyz are hidden as best as possible, either behind LoS blockers or out of range of enemy guns if it can be done. 

Generally, the way things play out is that each turn I shoot the Gunz at anything tough or vehicle-like in the enemy army, and on turn 1 I try to use Da Jump with the Shoota Boyz and get them into assault (charge will succeed about 50% of the time accounting for Ork rerolls). Trukks should advance with the KFF biker supporting them. On Turn 2, if possible, Trukk contents get into assault to support the Da Jump foot boyz. From then on out, it's a lot of chasing, shooting, assaulting, etc.

The Power Klaw almost always sees use in the Shoota Boyz squad. However, in the mechanized squads I'm trying to keep them cheap/numerous, so Big Choppa is good, and no special weapons. Also, since these squads are so much smaller, and much more likely to make it into assault, they have slugga/choppa to maximize damage output.

I've had some trouble dealing with guys inside rhinos and such,, so I could for example drop a squad of slugga boyz + trukk in return for 3 more Kannons and 1 more KMK, or 3 more KMKs, or something. I still want to play a few more games before making that decision though.

What do you all think? Does this army look scary and waugggghy enough? I'm spending about half my points on Boyz, another quarter on rides for them, some HQs to make those rides better or to teleport them, and a small amount on artillery. Seems like it might be the way to go.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Ork 1,000 Points List
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
I like the list. The only concern I would have is trying to keep the three trukks and the bike all entirely within KFF bubble and if you do, it may limit where you can apply pressure on your opponent. You can run it as a hammer and anvil list using the shoota boys to move the enemy towards the trukk mob. I don't think it would work though, as each element, either the hammer or the anvil, are not strong enough to act the part.

I'd either switch the bike mek for a warboss biker or take a SAG mek and bubblewrap him with a unit of grots and leave them in the back field with the artillery.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:52:52 AM »
Looks like a pretty good speed freak list to me! Two thumbs WAAAAAAAY UP!!!  ;D

As for peeling marines out of their rhino the best is the nob with PK, always has been. And with the new rules if the passengers can't deploy they are wiped out. So surround the rhino with boys, the nob kills the rhino and the marines that can't get out are dead. (used to be called crossfired)

Now for other killy stuff, trade in those guns for coptas. put a kill saw on the coptas, if the rockits don't kill the tank, then the copta assaults and the kill saw will cause a lot of wounds possibly killing it, and if not, the tank will be within 1" of an enemy unit and unable to fire.

Good stuff, I hope you are having a bit more luck in this edition than I have (I have only played two games against eldar) So go out and do more stuff.

As a side note, please look at the Way of The Waagh thread and sign up to be an ork. Post pictures of your army (look at the top of the board) and get some credit for your krumping.
Glad to see you have lots of trucks and none of those slow kans and dreads. Now; go out and do more good stuff... 8)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
Hmm, so I did run this list against Space Marines the other day and basically it seems like the invuln save from the KFF is really useful, especially against lascannons. So I mostly just use it on the trukks and don't try to cover the infantry. Between the KFF and the Ramshackle rule, the Trukks are more durable than you might think. I did have trouble when I wanted to peal one Trukk off to hit a squad of Scouts off to the side, though.

It seems like with Trukks under a KFF I can pretty reliably get a turn two charge off on something, even if it's just a screening unit, and using Da Jump on the 30-man squad can help make room for them. As long as all the Trukks are going toward the same thing, I don't have trouble keeping them all under the KFF Though.

Given the prices involved, I could swap out all 3 Kannons for a single Deffkopta with Kopta Rokkits and Spinnin Blades. I own two Deffkoptas and neither are modeled with a killsaw, though I have some spare killsaws I could use. A Deffkopta with a Killsaw would require swapping out 2 Kannons + 1 KMK to get enough points for it (leaving 1 Kannon remaining).

I can't get another Kopta without dropping something related to the boyz (Teleportation, invuln save, their rides, or the boyz themselves). Would it be good to play with a single Kopta?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »
That looks like a pretty cool list, I might have to look into borrowing it.

How much use did the Mek get out of his killsaw in the game?  How about the Big Shootas?  If the answer isn't much, dropping them gives you about 50 more points to play with or make adjustments with.  That could give you 2 more boyz per trukk with a few points left over to buy some toys.

I liked Koptas a lot last edition and I'm not sure I like how they make you pay for the bomb in the base points this edition.  I hope the codex lowers the cost and makes the bomb an option you can buy instead of basically making it mandatory.  That said, one kopta could make a good distraction and/or suicide bomber tying up a unit or vehicle since it isn't as threatening as "OH GORK (or possibly MORK), 30 SHOOTA BOYZ" up in their face and about to charge.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »
The Big Shootas seem to be slightly better than normal shootas, and let some models shoot that normally would not be able to. I'm not sure they're actually worth the cost. I have considered Rokkits, even if they only get off one shot each, because I'm so lacking in high strength stuff.

In the couple games I have played with him, the Mek got SOME use out of the killsaw when things went well for me. Basically, once the Trukk Boyz get to assault, I toss the Mek in there too. However, there have been games where that didn't really work out too well for me, but those were generally games where I made mistakes. But because the Mek is moving right alongside the Trukks he always has the option to assault when the contents of the Trukk do. I'm not sure if the killsaw is really worth it over something like a Power Klaw which is highly similar, or perhaps a Big Choppa if i'm trying to be cheap.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
Have you thought about swapping out the boyz in one trukk for Tankbustas?  You already have your 3 troop choices for the detachment with the 30 boyz and 2 other trukks so you're not losing any CPs.  You loose the heavy kannons and the cost of the boys you have enough points for 10 bustas w/ 2 squigs and some points left over.  That would give you good anti-tank coverage.  It also gives you fewer deployments, which means better chance of going first, so your opponent has to decide which is more of a threat, 30 boys or a trukk with tank bustas?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
I'm in agreement with Roboknee on that last suggestion. With such a mobile force, the artillery seems somewhat out of place and if you're keeping the KFF, you can also protect your tankbustas too.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »

Given the prices involved, I could swap out all 3 Kannons for a single Deffkopta with Kopta Rokkits and Spinnin Blades. I own two Deffkoptas and neither are modeled with a killsaw, though I have some spare killsaws I could use. A Deffkopta with a Killsaw would require swapping out 2 Kannons + 1 KMK to get enough points for it (leaving 1 Kannon remaining).

I can't get another Kopta without dropping something related to the boyz (Teleportation, invuln save, their rides, or the boyz themselves). Would it be good to play with a single Kopta?

Playing with a single deff copta is called the "Green Baron" tactic. In previous editions you would start him in reserve and outflank going after heavy weapons teams and other things that like to sit back and shoot at the boys. This edition is better as he is "deployed" off the board and comes on at the end of your movement phase, no reserve roll needed. This allows you to shoot and charge.

So you charge the razorback and don't kill it. Because it is within an inch of an enemy it either has to stay and fight your copta or if it moves away it is "withdrawing" and so can't do anything else that turn. This allows you to shoot at it and charge it again until it is destroyed.

You can also use it against the various heavy weapon teams out there doing the same thing, shoot charge and tie them up so they can't use those weapons against the rest of the army.

Yes, the green baron is expendable, but while he is on the board he is great fun and a consternation to your opponent. Try it you'll like it!  8)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak