News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Nid carrying case?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline GoreLord

'Nid carrying case?
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:50:05 AM »
i was wondering what most of you guys use to carry around your Tyranids. the usual cases with the foam model sleeves seem that their slots are to small to fit anything but gaunts. i couldnt really see using those for genestearlers or warriors etc...
so how about it?
Dirty Metal Kid

Offline overmind2000

Re: 'Nid carrying case?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:03:04 AM »
I will post images later of what I have done - but the GW large carry case is capable of hold pretty much all nid units well, barring the genestealers - which tend to be a little wide, they can be held, but its is a bit of a squash some times. Larger units require modification to the foam inserts - I will show this later;
As for the stealers, I have found the old case that GW used to sell idea for holding mine, but I don't think they sell this case anymore - its the one with the nobbly foam as opposed to the cut dividers

Offline betrayer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:15:48 AM »
I use one of these Sabol War Cases. They work great because you choose all different size foam trays.

http://www.thewarstore.com/sabolarmytransportfigurecases.html
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"

Offline GoreLord

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:28 AM »
sounds good overmind. it'd be great to see some pics of those cases. especially the altered inserts for the larger nid creatures, sounds like they end up fitting pretty snug.

and those are very nice carrying cases betrayer. need to figure up how many trays i'll need for my swarm and check prices in comparison to the options overmind is talking about.

thx for the input :)
Dirty Metal Kid

Offline ShieldGeneratorFtw

• The Supreme Genestealer-hybrid
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
I will post images later of what I have done - but the GW large carry case is capable of hold pretty much all nid units well, barring the genestealers - which tend to be a little wide, they can be held, but its is a bit of a squash some times. Larger units require modification to the foam inserts - I will show this later;
As for the stealers, I have found the old case that GW used to sell idea for holding mine, but I don't think they sell this case anymore - its the one with the nobbly foam as opposed to the cut dividers

Doesn't sound very promising for an army of Genestealers X_X

Pariahs!

Offline overmind2000

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »
Ok how to fit your army in to a GW carry case: all cutting done carfully with a very sharp scalple - don't force it, take time to saw through
Warriors and raverners:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/warriors.jpg
these require only that you cut away a single dividing line - raveners fit like a treat, warriors can be a little harder depending on how they are modeled, but in general a good fit

Steals, gaunts and zoanthropes:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/stealers.jpg
well the zoanthropes are the easiest, they just rest on top of the dividers and thats that - they are metal, so can survive a little extra pressure
gaunts - horma or regualar fit easily in the allocated divider sections
genestealesrs - a bit more messy here - if you model them with their arms tucked in there is little problem, but arms out wide a little harder to fit - but not an impossible fit

the big ones! - and lictors
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/big1.jpg
well to fit a lictor, cut out the intersection setion of 4 dividing lines and the lictor will fit in quite nicly into the gap

monsters, as you see, take up two levels, and require a little more cutting:
step 1 take the base foam inster (alway best if there is a tyrant on the foam section as he has less chance to squash down things under him; and cut into this foam a gap for the base of the monster - roughly poistion the monster so as the tail will hit one wall - of added support
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/big3.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/big2.jpg

step 2 is a little harder - put the foam mat you just cut with the fex inside upsidedown ontop of hte back of the upper foam layer. From there roughy mark out his back and where it hits the foam - hint about 1-2mm out from the towers works well.
from there is a case of cuttingout the foam section so as he can poke through as seen above.

you can easily fit a large army into this case - I have put 4 monstrus creatures to a side of foam, and I think this is as many as you should really add - any more and you are reducing the strength of the padding - especially if you are adding tyrants.

models not yet tested:
biovore - though I can forsee no problems fitting one
winged tyrant - well this will depend entirly on how he ends up being modeled - might be a challenge, but shoud fit in the end.
and there you have it :)
no mocking of the non-painted nids!    please

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:10:50 AM »
At the moment I use a big plastic box with some cushioning at the bottom.  I've looked at GW cases, and sabol cases, and truthfully it's extremely hard to make certain things fit in them (like, for instance, the flyrant, or carnifex, or genestealers, etc).

That said, Sabol does have one case with enough room to get the right foam trays for all your little things. SHAZAM!  Expensive, but so big you can easily hold 2-3 full armies in there.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Orunlu

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:37:08 PM »
I currently use a large tackle box keeping my smaller units in the trays and my larger in the large opening on top. However I am looking at buying some barrels like you get with "barrel of monkeys" for my hormagaunts and genestealers since they like to cling to each other.
If practice makes perfect and nobodys perfect. Why practice?

Offline Chovok

• Yes, Bio-mass makes a difference.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:10:36 PM »
I myself use a tackle box for my Tyranid army, if you want some cushion for your delicate troops and perfectly painted warriors, you can add a very thin cloth to the trays. It works great for me. Stuff doesnt bang around when its getting moved, has a handle, hold my army even, warriors, carnflix, and hive tyrant. (8 carniflixs can fit so you can get an idea of its holding size for the bigger units) It is also cheaper then getting the Army cases they sell, It won't look as cool, but i'm sure we painters can change that. I have a tackle box for each of my armys. I hope my input helps.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »
$35 tackle box has beeen carrying all of my armies for who knows how long now! It can easily fit Multiple tyrants, Carnifexes, and Warriors, plus the hordes of gaunts go under, probably about 20-30 gaunts per tray, plus zoanthropes and biovores fit as well, andything that cant goes up top! Also, if I have any extra room in the bottom where Im not keeping a tray, guess where the rule books are going!
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!