News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New to 7th question  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Elysium126

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New to 7th question
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »
I understand the brb cad and how it works but the extra ones in the codexes are somewhat confusing. Like with the eldar1 core 1-12 aux is understandable but what if you just want one or two of the formation builds like the wraith one and dire avengers one, is that legal to take without the guardian core?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: New to 7th question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 08:09:53 PM »
There are 4 ways to make a battle-forged list.

1)  Pure detachment:  Whether it is the Combined Arms or something similar (ala Deathwing Strike Force), then you can build an army entirely out of a detachment.

2)  Detachment and Formation:  A combination of Detachments and Formations.  So you could do an Eldar army where the primary element is a CAD along side an Aspect Host, for instance.

3)  Codex specific formation-detachment:  I don't know how to adequately describe these.  The detachments that are created from the formations that give some crazy good rules.  Treat it as another detachment, really.

4)  Formations only:  If you build an army strictly out of formations, it will be considered a Battle-forged list.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Elysium126

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
So if I'm reading this right my example was legal,,
Either way thank you I will add your examples to my brb for future reference

Thank you

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:03:30 PM »
Make a list, throw it into the Eldar board, and may Cthulhu have mercy upon your soul.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:04:34 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »
So if I'm reading this right my example was legal,,
Either way thank you I will add your examples to my brb for future reference

Thank you
Yes, absolutely legal.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Elysium126

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
Make a list, throw it into the Eldar board, and may Cthulhu have mercy upon your soul.  ;)
Lol when I figure out how I want to run them I shall, right now I'm getting away from the tau saturated lfgs I go to

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
Most of the Auxiliary choices can be taken as stand-alone formations, but not all.

If you look at the back of the elder codex, you'll notice that some of the auxiliaries have "Data Sheets" that describe the formations, and their bonuses. They have a Three-Skulls-on-a-Circle icon at the top. For example, the Wraith Host and Dire Avenger Shrine are both described at the back of the book as a Formation.

In general, if an Auxiliary consists of "Take one unit of X" without any special rules attached, it's not a stand-alone formation. So you can't take a Wraith Construct Auxiliary as a Wraithknight, as a stand-alone formation. You can take them if you first take a core choice, of course. Game play wise you'd probably rather take them as the LoW for a CAD, or as part of a Wraith Host... but that's another thing. :)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
What's important to remember is that everything is 'legal'. You are fully able to take whatever units you want in any combination. You just miss out on any Detachment bonuses.

Offline Elysium126

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »
Thank you all it has helped alot, now I'm not lost when reading that stuff