News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: It is a question about the solotaire... and then some  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
It is a question about the solotaire... and then some
« on: November 27, 2003, 02:16:18 PM »
I know i will sound like a moron after I ask this question because I know it has probably been asked several times.

I play a Biel-Tann assault army and thought that a Harlie would look great for some flair and versatility. The second problem was what to put in. I couldn't decide on a shadow seer on a jetbike (ya know, flying around and lobbing off some heads) or the "great and powerful" Solotaire (a little over the top but people know what I mean). Any way, I was looking at his stat line and saw that he had 3 strength... big surprise considdering he is eldar (we need to get them some weights or something) but when I looked at his stat line review in the back of the book (with that wargear) I noticed he had 4 strength. Could some one tell me which one is correct?

Also, In my Biel-Tann army I am taking 2 Vypers, a solotaire and a Venom. I was curious as to if the Venom counts as a trans port for all intents and purposes, or if it also counts as an Elite. If it does, I can just combine the Vyper squad (though I would like to avoid it if at all possible).

For the heck of it, let me post what my harle and venom squad are like...

175 Solotaire: Phase field, D-field, Harlie kiss, Neuro shredder, River blades

65 Venom: Holo field

Those two units are in an army of 2 wave serpents filled with bansees and/or scorpians (each squad has a farseer with fortune). There is a falcon with 6 dragons, 2 Vypers, 2 squads of 6 hawks and anexarch (web o'skulls and sustained assault) and 6 spiders and an exarch. If you wish to critique on my list feel free... It is 2002 points all together.

Any help and comments are appreciated...

Thankyou...
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline DEdude

• Kabal of cynical SNL stars
Re: It is a question about the solotaire... and then some
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 02:47:50 PM »
no, the vyper is  not a transport. They're heavy support.

They're strength 3, the strength 4 in the back is just a typo

Give him power blades, cheaper, and serve almost the same purpose, which is better since you're only going to use the blades 1/2 the time

And I don't play eldar, so I'd do better to avoid criticism
You spend the first 2 years of your kid's life teaching them how to stand and talk, and then the next 16 telling them to sit down and shut up

Offline Abraxas

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 04:12:05 PM »
I mean if you incorperate it into an Eldar Army does it count as a transport or an elite?
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 08:08:21 PM »
It counts as an elite - but please note that it specifically states that it may only carry 6 Harlequins (and an IC.  If your a strict-rules person, then you would look at that and say "hey, my Farseer can ride in that venom too!" but those of us with more sense realize that GW means for the venoms to only ever transport Harlequins.)
He who follows his own will is a King among men.

Offline DEdude

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 11:41:06 PM »
I thought that because it isn't classified as a transport, it could also move non-harlequin units
You spend the first 2 years of your kid's life teaching them how to stand and talk, and then the next 16 telling them to sit down and shut up

Offline Yasoon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 03:36:10 PM »
Well put it this way, the venom doesnt say it cant transport other none hasrlie I C's

if u could put a farseer, you could also put an avatar in it.

think about that one for a bit and realize that just because you can't see the rule doesn't mean its not there

Offline DEdude

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 06:04:14 PM »
You could put in either, but not both. It does specify that the troupe has to be harlequin, but the independant character doesn't

I thought it followed the logic that the character hopped onto the venom at the beginning of the battle, the same way that the regular harlequins did.

Just to avoid contraversy however, you could have the IC travel with a unit from it's own race in it's own

Offline Abraxas

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 10:43:01 PM »
Those are all good points and thanx for answering my question. Intersting concepts... and since it is oppen topped, you could essentially put in a seer council... maybe. If the wording is right, then you can put in 3 farseers and 3 worlocks with augment and start blasting people with mind wars and/or eldritch storms. That might be interseting. I think that might be work, but I have been wrong plenty of times in the past.

Also, any of you that want to comment on the rest of my army and how the solotaire should be incorperated into it would be most appreciated. Thanx...
Ambassador Kosh

Ambassador G'Kar

Offline Colonel Tangerine

• Proliferate Capitalism
    • The Weekly
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 10:47:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure you read it wrong, it says 6 harlies and one IC, you don't have either in your plan

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

I miss EO.

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 10:33:32 PM »
Yes, Seer Councils definitely cannot ride in a venom.

And Id be willing to bet that in any official Harlequin codex, it will say a 6 Harlequin squad and/or a Harlequin IC.
He who follows his own will is a King among men.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #10 on: December 1, 2003, 04:17:14 AM »
Yes, that sounds about right. The wording needs to be tightened, as it will otherwise allow the Avatar (huge hunk of burning stone) to ride a Venom, when it can't ride a Falcon anymore.
It (the avatar) used to be able to ride the Vyper-platform, but that rule was removed in transition from 2nd to 3rd ed.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Jowicota101

• Promoting World Peace Through Painted Eldar Minis
    • My Diary
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2003, 10:40:17 AM »
...but those of us with more sense realize that GW means for the venoms to only ever transport Harlequins.)

Ooooh. The old "if you're smart like me then you'll agree with me/if you aren't then that's why you don't" argument!  :)