News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin Revision - EO!  (Read 138506 times)

Offline ArchonSW

• Thats me!
Re: Harlequin Revision - EO!
« Reply #460 on: September 11, 2004, 10:43:17 PM »
would you mind if I posted a link to this thread on librarium-online?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #461 on: September 12, 2004, 02:22:24 AM »
No, a link to the thread is ok; a rip-off of the file is not (it has happened before, I am just making sure we understand eachother).

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline IronAngel256

• The Path is set, The way is clear...
« Reply #462 on: October 6, 2004, 11:09:14 AM »
I have a quick question, do models with flight belts automatically get to deep strike?  Deep-striking is listed as a special ability of the flight troupes and not of the flight belt.  If only flight troupes can deep strike then why would warlocks with flight belts be given pack grenade launchers seeing as they can only be used when deep striking? 

Just found this kind of confusing...
Harlequins 2500 pts.
chaos undivided 2000 pts.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #463 on: October 6, 2004, 11:28:54 AM »
I can see how that is confusing, and I will fix it on my next write-over. Thank you for pointing it out.

Offline IronAngel256

« Reply #464 on: October 6, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »
so just for clarification, can any model with flight belts deep strike or just the flight troupe?
Harlequins 2500 pts.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #465 on: October 6, 2004, 04:33:02 PM »
All models with the belt gain deep strike in missions allowing it.

Offline IronAngel256

« Reply #466 on: October 7, 2004, 08:57:33 AM »
sweet, thank you very much Rasmus!
Harlequins 2500 pts.

Offline IronAngel256

« Reply #467 on: October 7, 2004, 11:10:18 AM »
ok, one last question about the flight belts, isn't a deep striking solitaire or shadow seer way too powerful?  Having the solitaire deep strike is like a gauranteed charge on the turn he shows up and a properly equipped shadow seer can pin an entire army using the hunt.
Harlequins 2500 pts.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #468 on: October 7, 2004, 02:38:59 PM »
Since you can't charge when you deep strike you will be out in the open, and get killed rather swiftly.
And next time, modify your previous post rather than make a serial-post, thanks.

Offline daresh

• I'm not surrounded, It's a target rich environment
    • Harlequins Online
A trend I have noticed.
« Reply #469 on: December 10, 2004, 06:22:56 AM »
hey guys, just my ten-pennerth.

There seems to be an opinion on this forum regarding abilities and traits that the rational goes llike this...

Unit X of Army Y has this ability for a cheaper cost than a harlie troupe so why should the harlies not have this?

The problem is when we have several traits all used together eachof which is justified in this way.

Harlies have a 4" asaault range cos Nids do and thay are cheaper
Harlies should get a 4+ inv save because X Y and Z do and they are all cheaper and so on.

You have to look at the whole picture. Each trait or additional bonus makes the unit that much harder. You cannot base a justification for an attribute on specific cases. You need to balance the points on how effective the unit would be as a whole.

I recently completed a league with several very experience players and we tried the EO codex.

Too Powerful! WAY to powerful. I won every game, hands down, easily. EVERY game.

Masque of the Dark Veil is so overwhelmingly cheesy! In one game my entire army got into CC in turn 1,  I wiped out Blood Angels, ALL of them in turn 1 barring 2 terminators who were easily despatched in my opponants combat phase.

I would suggest that Dark Veil is is used to nominat a point no closer than 12" to an enemy unit.

There is a problem with looted vehicles and Dark Veil. I would submit that since you state looted vehicles cannot move through the webway, you could not combine looted vehicles and dark veil.

I thnk the re-roll failed to wound in the charge is more than a little beardy. We get silly numbers of attacks and now you want to re-roll wounds as well? That is the only thing that balances Harlie CC attacks the fact that it is harder to wound some opponants.

On the whole though I think the list is going in braodly the right direction.

Above all I think we need to constantly platy devils advocate and try and balance the army fairly to make it playable and fun for our opponants as well as us.

Plus of course getting the damn thing recognised as, basically even my game club has stated this list os too cheesy so I cannot use this list anywhere.

Paul.

http://www.harlies.org.uk - all things harlequin
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Harlequins 5000 pts
Eldar 3000 pts
Marines 2000 pts
Orks - LoTS!
Tau - in progress

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2004, 07:01:24 AM »
Argh! Of course the looted vehicles should not be used with the Veil. I knew I wrote an amendment for that Masque, but it never made it somehow. After some playtesting hte troupes you could get through the veil was limited, as you said, of course, as it was overpowered.

Edit: Scratch that. Looted vehicles cannot use the Veil. If you did you were cheating.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 08:12:23 AM by Rasmus »

Offline kamikaz

• Beware the great hamster. GNARK GNARK
« Reply #471 on: December 10, 2004, 03:41:01 PM »
Well that's what caused the fall so wouldn't the harlequins try and change their way of living?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »
Well that's what caused the fall so wouldn't the harlequins try and change their way of living?
   Um... What are you talking about? If you quote the post you are responding to is some clearer lines of discussions migh be seen here. Thanks.

Offline daresh

• Harlequins Online
« Reply #473 on: December 13, 2004, 07:06:12 AM »
Rasmus, Are you saying the EO codex states that looted vehicles cannot use the Webway? Cos I can't find the text which supports it. For the record I do not use looted vehicles and never liked the concept. Where would the harlequins perfom such conversions/modification? certainly not in the webway. So how could they capture a vehicle, return to the webway and use such a vehicle in another battle?

It makes no sense, Much as the idea has appeal and a large amount of 'fun factor'.
Harlequins 5000 pts
Eldar 3000 pts
Marines 2000 pts
Orks - LoTS!
Tau - in progress

Offline Fishy

• Used Skyray Salesman
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 'Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.'
« Reply #474 on: December 13, 2004, 04:24:04 PM »
Hey,
not to sound stupid, and hoping that this hasn't come up before, but the Fleet Of Foot, Disrupted Formation and Holo-Suit rules are not referred to in the EO revision. Obviously the Flip-Belt rules, for example, replace the ones in CJ, but are the aforementioned rules still in place as well?
Cheers
Fish

The Tau Empire needs you to write articles for its Project now! Want to know more? Just ask!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #475 on: December 15, 2004, 03:35:29 AM »
Rasmus, Are you saying the EO codex states that looted vehicles cannot use the Webway? Cos I can't find the text which supports it. For the record I do not use looted vehicles and never liked the concept. Where would the harlequins perfom such conversions/modification? certainly not in the webway. So how could they capture a vehicle, return to the webway and use such a vehicle in another battle?

It makes no sense, Much as the idea has appeal and a large amount of 'fun factor'.

EO Revision - page 4 - Mask of the Dark Veil "The entire Harlequin Army (except looted vehicles)..."
   And looted vehicles are not greatly modified - just repainted and furnished witha holofield (just slap some projectors on it) and then driven off. You do that in the field. That is why they are "looted" and not "stolen and modified". :)

Hey,
not to sound stupid, and hoping that this hasn't come up before, but the Fleet Of Foot, Disrupted Formation and Holo-Suit rules are not referred to in the EO revision. Obviously the Flip-Belt rules, for example, replace the ones in CJ, but are the aforementioned rules still in place as well?
Cheers
   EO Revision - page 1 - Special Rules - See Citadel Journal #39 - page 6.
   All rules there, unless changed, are included. There are no exclusions mentioned.

Offline daresh

• Harlequins Online
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2004, 04:32:48 AM »
Yeah but yeah but yeah but yeah but....

I know I am being pedantic but how do they get vehicles at the field of battle, Prior to the battle? They can;t bring them as we have established so...

where do they come from fluff wise?

Harlequins 5000 pts
Eldar 3000 pts
Marines 2000 pts
Orks - LoTS!
Tau - in progress

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2004, 04:44:22 AM »
They are just stolen and driven around, basically. Not all Harlequins retreat to the safetly of hte Waebway after each strike in a major engagement. It would endanger your safety to pop gates open over and over. So you land some Harlequins, they strike at what they want, steal some vehicles, and drive on until they are done, at which time they ditch the rides and go back into the Webway, and go off to wherever they want to go.
The Harlequins are NOT the USF.

Offline daresh

• Harlequins Online
« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2004, 05:57:02 AM »
USF? I never said they were!

*confused mode - on*
Harlequins 5000 pts
Eldar 3000 pts
Marines 2000 pts
Orks - LoTS!
Tau - in progress

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2004, 06:06:47 AM »
The likeness to how people like to think of the Harlequins and the way the USF are striking, and wrong. As the Harlequins work protecting the webway many think that they strike only from the webway and hten go back there again. This is not true. This is why the Harlequins are NOT the USF. No, you didn't say so, but the way you posted your comment about the looted vehicles having to go into the webway to be part of teh Harlequin-force I felt it leaning in that direction. Sorry if I confused you.
The Harlequins use the webway when it is convenient for them, it is not a tactical dogma for them, as it is for the USF. They come and go as they please, as in all things. If they have a tank they have paitned up and like driving around the webway is no fun, since you would have to abandon your new toy.

"All their wars are merry.
All their songs are sad."