News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin Revision - EO!  (Read 138588 times)

Offline DammageInc

Re: Harlequin Revision - EO!
« Reply #860 on: November 23, 2005, 09:50:27 PM »
Hrmm, could allways (and in the "spirit" of 4th ed's "simplistic" style) just make it so they can shoot and FoF, would save a lot of headaches for people remembering to FoF and not to FoF differant units, all they would need to remember is "oh, this one can shoot as well". Maybe lighten the points cost a lil too, as it would only then be a 6+d6.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #861 on: November 24, 2005, 01:58:13 AM »
That would set precedent though, as nothing in the game can do that. We are trying to stay away from that.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #862 on: November 24, 2005, 09:23:15 AM »
That would set precedent though, as nothing in the game can do that. We are trying to stay away from that.

So.... wounding on a 4+ on the charge isn't setting precedent?
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #863 on: November 24, 2005, 11:49:10 AM »
No, there are a few "fixed" to-wounds in the game allready, so not really. It does not break any specific rules, as "Shoot AND FoF" would. There is a difference there.

Offline DammageInc

« Reply #864 on: November 26, 2005, 02:06:20 AM »
I meant in regards to the phase field, not for the whole army, but yeah, i catch your meaning.

Offline DanceOfTheLaughingGod

• Newest
  • The Dance Without End
« Reply #865 on: November 26, 2005, 02:21:48 AM »
Greeting Master Avatars & Mimes,

I have read though this thread (most of it) ::) and I'm impressed with the through thought put into the development of a 4e Harle Codex, though unofficial it still seems. 

I see this thread & codex has been in the works for several years now.  I also have heard rumors, also for the past several years, which GW does plan to retool the Eldar Codex and with it revitalize the Harlies.  Seems this may occur in the next year, we can only hope. 

But I was wondering, has the EOL Harlie Codex received and sort of feedback from GW, or GW 'unofficially' discussed or added their input or passing approval of was Rasmus and other have developed here within the EOL Harlie Codex?

Additionally, I was also wondering what fluff is behind and the foundation for the NightShade special character?   Can this be found in past CJ's?  It would seem more appropriate to have a special character for the Avatar of the Laughing God, not dissimilar to the Avatar of the Bloody Handed God, in the Harlie case 'Masquerading' as a normal Harlequin until he (she?) makes their present known in a battle.

Salute
Smile For The Laughing God Or Face Your Fate

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2005, 04:33:19 AM »
I have read though this thread (most of it) ::) and I'm impressed with the through thought put into the development of a 4e Harle Codex, though unofficial it still seems. 
    And is likely to remain.

I see this thread & codex has been in the works for several years now.  I also have heard rumors, also for the past several years, which GW does plan to retool the Eldar Codex and with it revitalize the Harlies.  Seems this may occur in the next year, we can only hope. 
  The Eldar is getting a 4th ed codex next year, by most accounts, byt the Harlequins? No, not on the horizon as of yet.

But I was wondering, has the EOL Harlie Codex received and sort of feedback from GW, or GW 'unofficially' discussed or added their input or passing approval of was Rasmus and other have developed here within the EOL Harlie Codex?
   No, none of the letters or mails have gotten any response at all. They are aware of its existence, and some may even have read it (I have sent it to enough people, to be sure, at some personal expense I might add) but have chosen not to comment on it at all.

Additionally, I was also wondering what fluff is behind and the foundation for the NightShade special character?   Can this be found in past CJ's?  It would seem more appropriate to have a special character for the Avatar of the Laughing God, not dissimilar to the Avatar of the Bloody Handed God, in the Harlie case 'Masquerading' as a normal Harlequin until he (she?) makes their present known in a battle.
   There was just a drive to make a special character, and most suggestions centered around super-combat-characters and the NIghtshade was jsut a counterpoint to it, to show that a Harlequin sc didn't have to be "the chosen Solitaire" or such. I wanted to make a grand strategist, but I didn't have a model for it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 02:54:32 AM by Rasmus »

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
« Reply #867 on: January 15, 2006, 06:29:23 PM »
Hit & Fade has been fixed.  I'm very proud/impressed with whoever came up with this idea.  By the way there is a typo in the rules there (it should say "armed with a Harlequin's Kiss" not "armied...").

EDIT: Upon further playtesting and number crunching I believe it is actually too much to work on the charge as well.  It still seems to inordinately favor the Power Weapon over the Harlequins' special weapon.  However, I don't think it should be cut.  My tentative idea is to make it only work on turns after the Harlequins have been charged--this would encourage a whole new slew of tactics.  The issue is that such a change would make the name Hit and Fade a joke, along with most of the fluff.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:33:16 PM by InfinityCircuit »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #868 on: January 16, 2006, 02:58:27 AM »
I will fix the typo, and I have found the currnet rule to work really well as well. People go "ouch! that is terribly powerful!" and then they open up with the bolters and see 35-point models mowed down like so much gretchin...

edit: fixed and uploaded. Entered a slight clarification on Phase-fields as well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:48:42 AM by Rasmus »

Offline DammageInc

« Reply #869 on: February 10, 2006, 01:10:49 AM »
Will work it into the harley armybuilder file i am working on, been on a bit of a hiatus so far as w40k is concerned, working in sales over cristmas/new years took its toll on my free time ;(

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #870 on: February 10, 2006, 02:35:59 AM »
We had an older one, but I think it needs a major overhaul. Good luck and get back to us when you're done.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #871 on: March 10, 2006, 07:26:23 PM »
The reading of hit and fade does not mention the charge rasmus.

When they charge all harlequins for the first round of combat wound on no.....
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #872 on: March 11, 2006, 06:50:52 AM »
Wow. It fell out in editing. Will correct it. Thanks for spotting it.

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #873 on: April 10, 2006, 04:22:47 AM »
Hello.

I am attempting to build an army list to hopefully play test this Saturday, but I have a few questions first. Forgive me if they have already been answered in the past 44 pages in this tread.

1) Would combining eldar kins really be that bad?

I'd imagine eldar who would follow the harlequins and their cause would probably be willing to put their past grudges aside for the harlequin's goals, much like the harlequins themselves. I'd personally enjoy having both kins alongside my harlequin forces if it wouldn't mess up your testing.

2) Is the army builder file posted still current with the updated rules?

(These next two are more fluff type questions.)

3) Why are eldar allies looked down upon, and why would an eldar look down on harlequins as foolhardy?

From the fluff I've read the harlequins are looked at with great respect even from the Dark Eldar. I'd imagine that many of the ones who choose to follow the harlequins might have thoughts or hopes of trying to help save their race.

4) Would the Eldar allies be welcomed by the troupe and allowed among them? Or would they be kept separate and not communicated with?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:28:14 AM by celestial.dragon »
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #874 on: April 10, 2006, 06:08:55 AM »
1. Well, they have been mortal enemies for a long time, and the Harlequin reunification-plans are not developed enough to combine or reconsile them yet. Sooner or later they will, but not right now.

2. If the one is the first post is not updated then no, I don't think so.

3. What makes you think they are looked down upon?

4. They would be kept separate, as they do not understand, and don't have the training. Of course you would communicate with them (or battle for them would be swift and fatal) but they would be kept as their own unit, as they just don't understand the Harlequin plan. Yet. :)

Offline celestial.dragon

• Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #875 on: April 10, 2006, 06:30:04 AM »
1) I see. Maybe after play testing a bit I'll throw in a mixed combination for my own fun games, but I'll be sure to play them properly.

3) In your fluff it says "Most other eldar look down upon the warriors who seek to join the Harlequins in battle, since the Harlequins are so unpredictable and often seen as foolhardy.". I guess I misunderstood.

4) I find that a sad way to live. Being exiled and kept alone by the one's you gave up everything to protect.
:-\
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #876 on: April 10, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
The Harlequins are not looked down upon, but they are ... odd to the eyes of other Eldar, and anyone wanting to join them will be treated sort of people uprooting themself and wanting to join... The amish, or something, right out of the blue.

As for being separated "All their wars are merry, all their songs are sad" perfectly illustrates the point, I think.

Offline Starliner

• eat the chicken...
« Reply #877 on: April 12, 2006, 06:34:01 PM »
hey, i've been playing alot of games with harlequins (but only with a limited army list, i couldn't get to the pdf file of the EO revision, but when i did, i found alot of holes in it (they referred to other places) so i wanted to know if it would be wrong to make a copy of it all, putting all the stuff together and then maybe putting it on this forum (most likely somewher else on the actual forum though) and one other note , what happened to the mimes? i know they are ten points now, but when i got all the journals and stuff it had them listed at twenty five, so im unsure of all their stats, along with the Mimics, so i was wondering if i could get that part down, other than that i find that the eldar are an exceptional army and they do well if you can shove em into close combat quick enough (before they shoot you)
i was gonna put notes here but i have to leave ( will leave notes on gameplay another time)
A small mind is a tidy mind - Warhammer 40000 3rd edition codex ^^

"Wait a minute.. if you kill Dib in the past, that means you wont have to go back in time to kill him, which means you wont have to go back in time, which means he WILL be your enemy which me-"*head explodes* - Gir, Invader ZIM

Offline celestial.dragon

• Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #878 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:16 PM »
Hey Starliner.

I think that this would not be allowed on the site, since the Citadel Journals containing the harlequin rules are copyrighted. I'm guessing that this is why Rasmus did not adding anything from them on his pdf. He only added updates to the rules and his/40konline's own ideas for the rules.
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #879 on: April 12, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »
Rasmas sees the mimes as harlequins in training.  Something I am not keen on myself, but he has creative licensing.
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here