News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pts Harlequins Embracing the Codex!  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
2000pts Harlequins Embracing the Codex!
« on: May 26, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
I wrote up a list to use for a game today and picked up on some mistakes I was making, as well as where I was running into deficiencies in trying to port my 7th edition army into 8th ed.

So, to make up for that, here is my list where I am embracing the completely different play style of the 8th edition Harlequins!

Soaring Spite Battalion
HQ
Troupe Master:  Harlequin's Kiss, Fusion Pistol, Warlord:  Skystrider, Relic:  Starmist Raiment.  86pts
Shadowseer125pts

Troops
5 Troupes:  5 Fusion Pistols.  110pts
6 Troupes:  6 Fusion Pistols.  132pts

Dedicated Transports
Starweaver99pts
Starweaver99pts
Starweaver99pts
Starweaver99pts

Fast Attack
2 Skyweavers:  Zephyr Glaives & Haywire Cannons.  102pts
2 Skyweavers:  Zephyr Glaives & Haywire Cannons.  102pts

Dreaming Shadow Vanguard
HQ
Shadowseer125pts

Elites
Deathjester:  Relic:  Curtainfall (-1cp).  45pts
Deathjester45pts
Deathjester45pts

Silent Shroud Patrol
HQ
Shadowseer125pts

Troops
10 Troupes:  10 Harlequin's Caress & Shuriken Pistols.  200pts

Elite
Solitaire98pts

Total Points:  2000pts
Model Count:  47
Command Points:  9
Total Deployments:  14

So, some of the revelations I came across:
  • Spamming Mortal Wounds is a good thing
  • My feelings on the majority of the special close combat weapons were logical in that the Caress is the best for a unit, and the Kiss is good for taking out individual characters where you aren't going to have much use for more than just a -1
  • Clown car Fusion drive-bys are awesome if done correctly
  • When you take Skystrider as a warlord trait, remember to use it!

The reason I say the game play has drastically change for the Harlequins is because in 7th edition they were an army list that did the majority of their damage in the assault phase, and their close combat weapons were powerful enough to have a significant impact on the game.  I built my army with no Fusion pistols because getting within 3" of an enemy vehicle meant that there was a serious possibility of it exploding and killing my fragile clowns.

Now, aside from the Caress being alright, the focus is more on doing my damage in the psychic phase and shooting.  Shuriken Pistols are alright for pot shots, but Fusion Pistols are actually worth while and considerably more safe for my own use!  I know I've struggled with making the army work with the Index, and I am not surprised that I had such a difficult time with it in my first game using the codex.  The complete paradigm shift really takes some getting used to because the army doesn't play the way I envisioned it at the initial conception.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 2000pts Harlequins Embracing the Codex!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »
We've discussed this list elsewhere but I'm fascinated by it. I've seen people putting together things radically different from what I envisioned being popular, even with my early access to the dex. I definitely think it can work, and its a sound approach but I do believe it will be challenging. I'd love to see a couple of CC weapons on the Troupes in the Soaring Spite Battalion. Those boats aren't gonna last long and I'd love for them to be able to pop their pistols then mangle something in melee. You could drop a DJ and put the Solitaire into your Vanguard (not sure if the paint schemes match though per detachment). Or even drop the Solitaire and kit out the rest of the units a bit more. I think having some utility in the Harlies goes a long way.

Either way I'm really interested to see where this goes. Myself personally I like the mech approach with well equipped troupes with a mess of Skyweavers with Haywire, but I gotta say thats pretty conservative. I love how out there this list is, but the concept seems sound. I know you play competitive so I'm sure the list will be put through its paces.

Would love to see the journey chronicled in the project logs, bat-reps or your old paiting log for these guys (which I just discovered!). Anyway great stuff GML cant wait to see more!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »
Really like your list, it runs along similar lines to my own....just a few differences here and there.  It seems able to cope with most things, though massed firepower such as guard lasguns, devourer nid lists and certain Tau builds will give youca hard time once the clowns leave their transports...
All the same, nice list mate. :)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2018, 06:55:18 AM »
I think this is a great list, I would however consider dropping one fusion pistol in each unit, to make it less expensive to lose a model when the starweavers are destroyed.

The points saved can be spent on two more silent shroud players.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #4 on: June 8, 2018, 01:16:25 AM »
I'm nearing a game against an old adversary. This guy uses a shooty Nids list and as you know dakkafexes are no laughing matter.  He's also fond of dropping-in 20 gaunts with devourers...

I'm concerned about clown survivability under this kind of fusillade, but the main thing for me now is, pop a cc weapon onto my troupes or not?
I think Cav has a point, but it makes them hideously expensive and no more survivable.
I need fusion pistols to handle the inevitable monsters but they just seem sort of wasted on gaunts where a cc weapon with a modifier will ensure they don't get back up. Decisions decisions...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »
I just run two fusion pistols a squad, and the rest with melee weapons. Does the trick for me.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2018, 01:13:35 PM »
Hi KS....I hadn't really thought about doing that....as dumb as it sounds....I suppose I though it would be diluting the effectiveness of my troupes as they are so small anyway. But you're right, it's that or kit 'em out with everything.....or specialize. I'll give it a try, cheers. :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: June 8, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
I run 6, 5 man troupes. I like to have redundancy, and have each squad be able to do the same role, as I know some will die. I also don't want to spend so many points on single shot pistols, when they have 4 attacks each I can take advantage of.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #8 on: June 8, 2018, 03:28:09 PM »
That makes good sense to me. I want to make good use of relics too...between strategems, relics and powers, we have some very nasty synergies.
I'm in two minds though....Frozen Stars or Soaring Spite. I want to maximize my attacks, but fusion pistol drive-bys seem like a golden opportunity. :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 02:53:00 AM »
I have a tourney coming up on the 1st of July. 2000 pts and I really want to use my Harlis. I haven't played with them yet but really need some coaching before. It's funny, as with all of you, mine were loaded out as per 7th ed. So lots of different mix's. I want to use the Yncarne in my list as my Great Harli, using ynarri rules. What or actually how do we use her in a list? GH as an HQ with an HQ from Harlis book or both HQ's from ynarri? I've never run mixed lists before so any help is appreciated.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword