News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New codex...  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: New codex...
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 08:00:15 AM »
I played against a horde ork list with my Harlequins a couple of times in events with the index army list.

With Harlequins having tons of re-rolls in melee, and four attacks each, they can actually do a lot of damage to orks. The trick is tackling one squad at a time, using the transports to hold off the other squads. If it wasn't for the games ending due to round time limit, I probably would have won both.

Too bad against Orks you're playing against the clock as much as the player.

Armies with few multi-wound models are the easiest for Harlequins to deal with, as they have many ways of dealing multiple damage. Monster Mash lists are not a problem.

The main lists that Harlequins can struggle against are vehicle heavy lists, especially with super heavies, and gun-line lists. Tau, Dakka bots, and Guilliman Gunline, reaper/ynnari are the sort of lists I fear the most.

I don't see Harlequins winning events, as the top competitive builds tend to be hard counter to pure Harlequin lists. But, they do have more tools now than the index. I'll need to play them more with the new codex to see. So far, I'm pretty happy.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
@Killersquid- I agree with you 100%. I dont see them winning events, simply because the margin for error with them is so slim and so many events require zero losses. But for somebody who wants to play Harlies as their main army at their local store or at home with your local group, and even against very competitive armies, I can easily see them being extremely good.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
About the webway gate how about deploying them horizontally, that would grant a lot of board control, and a lot of directions to deploy ::)

Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »
About the webway gate how about deploying them horizontally, that would grant a lot of board control, and a lot of directions to deploy ::)

Technically you can't take them at all, as the only faction keyword they have is Aldari, and a detachment can't share only that keyword.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
@Magneb- But I tell you what.... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! Not only will I get my 1k of Harlie painted by September I'll continue to grow it to 2k and chronicle my journey and specifically seek out those hard match-ups and see if my theories are true. If I crash and burn I'll paint you up a mini of your choice (maximum size being a flyer or wave serpent size vehicle)! If I win I'll strut around the forum like a Great Harlequin lol!

Good discussion Mage... really gets the brain going.  ;D ;D ;D

HAHAHA, give them a fist full of monofilament :)

Orks I'm facing at the moment, flood the field with shoota's and choppa's, then pair up painboys with a weirdboys. The Weird Boy's rule of 10 means it can cast D6 smite all day long even with the penalty, even if it perils, the pain boy heals it up. The army can move around rather quickly too with Da Jump. Its 3 boys for every Halie before transport.

Nids, an Exocrine can pop a transport a turn, hive crone can drool all over your transport and attack first turn as well. Then hordes of stuff all over the board, its almost 2 genesteelers for 1 Harlie with a melee weapon upgrade, that's before you factor in the transport cost for the Harlies.

Clever use of unit coherency can swamp the smaller games board and prevent those fusion pistols from hitting the right targets, forces you to really think how to use those shuriken cannons, especially when trying to deal with that exocrine.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #25 on: June 1, 2018, 06:14:26 AM »

Technically you can't take them at all, as the only faction keyword they have is Aldari, and a detachment can't share only that keyword.

Not in matched play with the beta rules, but that is not the only way to play, the beta rules have several holes in them and are not adopted where I play. Lots of tournaments restrict 2K games to 2 detachments instead of 3 to tackle soup lists and adress spam separately.

Most other armies that can arrive by similar manners, place their arriving zones horizontally.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #26 on: June 1, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
@Magenb- Fascinating stuff Mage. I've not played Tyranids or Orks in AGES but I promise you I will seek them out and see how I hang with them. It'll be awhile before it happens, but I make a solemn gamer oath that I will make it happen. You could very well be right, that those are hard counters, but I think I can whip them lol! Time will tell, but from the comfort of my theory hammer armchair I'm brimming with confidence. It'll be a while like I said, but it'll give you time to think of a mini for me to paint for you if it all goes horribly wrong.... which it wont! lol  :P

Good stuff Mage looking forward to the challenge
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #27 on: June 1, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »
I want in on this challenge guys. I have the army, mostly primed. Soaking bikes and transports in simple green right now to get all the failed paint schemes off. I have a new idea for them now and need some encouragement to actually commit to one of my armies to paint so....someone issue a challenge. I want in.

As for the book, I love it. As stated before, better than index. Now I have played Harliquins since 3rd ed and have always loved them, but they are a finesse army, always have been.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2018, 01:11:19 AM by Dread »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword