News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Prepare for the Dance Off  (Read 2638 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Prepare for the Dance Off
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
As expected, it's the Harlequins turn in the spotlight.
Codex: Harlequins Masque Forms - Warhammer Community
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Prepare for the Dance Off
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »
Exciting! Some thoughts on Forms:

Midnight Sorrow - seems premium tier. combined with Flip Belt and the alright high mobility, amazing for getting into contact with lots of enemies who would prefer not to have to Fall Back in the next turn.

Veiled Path - Interestingly, more useful the better your opponent's WS is, since it's more likely to result in something that will be useful. After all, if you're fighting an opponent with 5+ Weapon Skill, it's pretty unlikely for this to be useful, whereas an opponent with 2+ Weapon Skill is pretty likely to get blocked. With "2d6, choose lowest" the odds of results are (table):
1 -  11/36
2 - 9/36
3 - 7/36
4 - 5/36
5 - 3/36
6 - 1/36

odds of this affecting a unit with WS5+: 4/36, 11% of the time
odds of this affecting a unit with WS4+: 9/36, 25% of the time
odds of this affecting a unit with WS3+: 16/36, 44% of the time

When successful, against enemies with a WS of 5+, it halves their damage output; against enemies with units of WS4+, it reduces their damage by 1/3rd; against enemies with WS of 3+, it reduces their damage by 1/4.

Generally speaking, expect this to either unreliably reduce enemy damage a significant amount (against inaccurate enemies with many attacks, for example), or to semi-reliably reduce enemy damage by a modest amount (against space marines, for example).

I'd consider this decent-tier, as it makes harlies more survivable in assault but I think a lot of armies are just going to Fall Back and shoot anyways rather than stay stuck in past the first combat.

Frozen Stars - just a straight-up large damage boost for your Players. If reaching tagging more enemies in assault and surviving fight phases aren't something you are having trouble with, this boost is hugely better than the previous two. Won't help during your enemy's fight phase, but easily premium tier anyway since you can reliably get the charge.

Soaring Spite - good for drive-bys, but doesn't seem to match up. Perhaps other changes that are coming will make this worth it. Unclear.

Dreaming Shadow - The Morale part seems nice but not particularly valuable given typical Troupe sizes. The final strike bit is nice in combat, but pretty avoidable for enemies if they're shooting at you. Staying out of Fusion PIstol range isn't hard, and a Shuriken PIstol shot is good, but not amazing. Mid-tier.

Silent Shroud - I play against many enemies with the ability to ignore morale, and morale bombs for Harlies don't seem as good as simply chopping the enemy to bits. Seems very good at what it sets out to do, but it's not clear to me that what it sets out to do is viable. Low-tier.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:37:05 PM by Blazinghand »
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
So far I've got to say that Midnight Sorrow and Frozen Stars are the winners for me. The extra consolidation move can actually be massive for getting through a screening unit and into the juicy artillery etc behind it. The attacks boost for Frozen stars just means that they are gonna put out a lot of hurt when they do get in.
I do kinda like soaring spite's rules but I agree that currently they don't look as good as the others.
My only concern is currently that the Harlequins are still looking like too much of a glass cannon to really be all that effective. The leaked Lightning Reflexes and Prismatic Blur Strategems will help but I'm not sure whether it'll be enough at the moment.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
My only concern is currently that the Harlequins are still looking like too much of a glass cannon to really be all that effective. The leaked Lightning Reflexes and Prismatic Blur Strategems will help but I'm not sure whether it'll be enough at the moment.

yeah, a second Wound would help given the low volume, like a bunch of other elite armies get, but its not really fluffy. A laughing god save (FnP) would be interesting though.

Given there are no new models, I think Harlies are still going to feel more like a skirmish force rather than a stand alone army. They just don't have access to a wide enough variety of units like other forces.

Yeah Midnight Sorrow and Frozen stars (really like their colour scheme) are standouts, easy to works with when planning out how to use the army. The Veiled Path is a strange mechanic, there is a higher chance of it working against high WS enemies, but its only the rolls that match the number that miss. Still the randomness of it feels super fluffy.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
My army is painted in the theme of Midnight Sorrow, so that's the form I'll be using. The spells, artifacts and strategems will make a big difference too.

There will probably be a "no overwatch" relic, and I expect to see returns of all the 7th edition artifacts with new rules. Storied Sword (fancy sword), Ceogorach's Rose (fancy Kiss), Cresendo (pistol which shoots lots of bullets), Starmist Raiment, and Laughing Gods Eye. The later two will probably be something to better saves, and help deny wizard powers. Going off of what their previous rules were.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:43:13 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:58:11 AM »
Nothings really jumping out at me either. They're all just kinda meh. But the thing is we enjoy playing with them. If we win, victory seams sweeter. Just like with our dark kin. But if we combine forces, we can achieve great things. Detachments can bring some sweet flavors or not but playing s pure army can be the ultimate chocolate.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword