News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Best list builder and affiliated costs?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Best list builder and affiliated costs?
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
Since starting back into 40k, while I love the fact that the indexes have everything in them using them to build a list isn't exactly totally user friendly.   I am looking for a program to use to build army lists.   In the past I used Army builder which was pretty decent and reasonable priced.   So before I pay to download something what list builders are everyone using?  how easy are they to use?  What is the cost?   Also I might let you know that I am using a Windows based computer.

Thanks in advance...

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Best list builder and affiliated costs?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:15 PM »
I've recently downloaded battlescribe on my phone for free and I love it. It is available for PC as well. You can pay a small charge to get rid of ads and to help fund the community.

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
A lot of people use battlescibe but I have heard that sometimes the points might be wrong or the program crashes and or freezes.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
It's all user generated data files, so there is sometimes mistakes.

Good to double check points of final lists, but there are frequent updates.

Is also really the only option right now. Battlescribe is great. It's also free, so hard to complain about that. I've never had crashes.

I love army builder, but it takes wayyy too long to update.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »
The biggest issue with Army Builder, which was my go to program to use, is that the editors for ab40k have pretty much all left the project.  There is maybe one guy left doing it, and they are now asking for help from the community.  So I don't think Army Builder will be updating to 8th edition any time soon.

Because of that, I have switched to using the inferior program that is Battle Scribe lol.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
Battlescribe is the go to app now. I prefer their mobile version over the windows one. I find it quicker to use it than flipping through the book for special weapons/rules. I still have the books on hand just in case.

Offline flatworldsedge

• Corners conceal treasures
    • flatworldsedge photography
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »
I just downloaded BattleScribe based on this thread and put a list together.  Very quick, very easy.  The free version seems to do all I need and the costs for my list have been accurate (too accurate in some ways, I hadn't seen from the GW Xenos 1 Index that you had to pay for your Autarch's Forceshield).

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #7 on: September 5, 2017, 03:46:28 AM »
I used to use the Quartermaster app on my iPad which was very good, I found it to be very intuitive and the points costs were always accurate.
I've now gone to using battlescribe as I am now using a Microsoft surface rather than the iPad and although I find it to be a bit more comprehensive (Has stats etc included) I don't find it to be quite so intuitive as Quartermaster and it is a little more difficult to use. Points etc look accurate on what I have done so far (Just Chaos Marines & Chaos Daemons) and being able to print out PDFs is pretty handy.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here